Your best doughnut recipe?

Doughnuts that I made some time ago, with various sprinkles and cherry glaze.

I tried a random doughnut recipe and the doughnuts were OK when consumed directly after frying. However two hours later they were really dry. Maybe one of my mistakes were to make them quite small, my doughnut cutter is smallish, but I did fry them rather quick to compensate. Does anyone out there have a great doughnut recipe for fried doughnuts?

8 Responses to “Your best doughnut recipe?”

1. Katie
    March 15th, 2010 11:04

Yum, they look delish!

Katie xox

2. Dianne
    March 15th, 2010 21:41

This is the one I use: http://www.diannesdishes.com/2010/01/homemade-donuts.html

They seem to stay flaky for a while!

March 19th, 2010 22:39

Dianne: Thanks! They look fabulous!

4. Amy
    March 24th, 2010 03:50

Love doughnuts but I;ve never really tried making them myself! Maybe I should… this will be my next project :P

5. Maree
    June 28th, 2010 15:10

These doughnuts looks so delicious! Here in our country, we already have a doughnut without a hole :). Instead of a hole, it has a filling inside and it’s very delicious! yummy!

6. Donna
    July 20th, 2010 02:58

I found this recipe and they sure look good. I will be trying them tomorrow or Wednesday.

Donna

7. Nora
    July 22nd, 2010 17:48

This look soooo good (thanks, now I’m craving one :-) … )

8. Kathy
    January 3rd, 2011 17:14

Hi, I live in kotzebue Alaska, 25 miles above the arctic circle and some people here call me the doughnut queen. Here is my recipe.
    6 cups flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 cup mashed potato mix
    1 cup pancake mix
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    3 tablespoons yeast
    4 cups warm milk

Mix the milk, salt, sugar,mashed potato mix, yeast,and butter. Let it sit in a warm place for 30 minutes. ( I usually let it sit in my microwave, just don’t let anyone turn it on!) after that, gradually start mixing in the flour andthe pancake mix. I make a loose, soft, dough. I don’t knead it as long as bread dough. About 2 to 3 minutes. When you’re done kneading the dough, move it to a greased bowl that will be large enough for the dough to quadruple in size. Put the dough in smooth side down, and then turn it back over. Next, cover it with a cloth for one hour.
    Have some flat cookie sheets lined witness paper or parchment paper ready for the next step. When your dough is done rising, punch it down, and put it on a floured surface. Divide it into 4 balls and cover them with cloth for 10 minutes.
    After you have allowed your dough to rest, roll out one of the balls to a thickness of about an inch, and use a biscuit cutter to cut out circles(unless you have a doughnut cutter) and then mak the hole with your thumb and middle finger gently, so as not to smash the rest of the dough.
    Oil- I use professional doughnut shortening that comes from a bakery supply 500 miles away! But regular shortenig will suffice. If you have a deep fryer, that’s great, if you don’t, I would suggest a heavy duty stock pot( which is actually what I use)
    After you’ve formed all your dough, and put them on the cookie sheets, cover them for one hour. In the meanwhile melt your shortening and have it heating up to 375 degrees farenheit. (I don’t have the Celsius equivalent right here, sorry. But it’s a medium high on the stove)
    When you are reedy to cook your doughnuts, they will be very soft compared to others, so you’ l have to put your hand under it so you won’t smash it. Put about 4 doughnuts in the oil and cook for about 4 or 5 minutes on each side. I use chopsticks to turn them and take them out. When they are done, put them on paper towels to drain. ( the best time to put glaze or sugar coating is while they are hot)
    Well, that was my recipe, and it was also the first time I wrote it down. Enjoy!