Mini trifles

We had a Christmas party for our friends a couple of weeks ago. It took some time to decide what to serve for dessert so I ended up making two different ones. As we were having some British guests I wanted to make trifle and I decided to make individual ones as I came to the conclusion that one big trifle would become extremly messy when serving a lot of people. Also when making individual trifles it’s easy to make an alcohol free batch for drivers – still someone managed to hit our neighbour’s mailbox really hard after the party, but that’s another story… :-)

Mini trifles
    (a rough sketch. serves 30 people)

30 plastic cups
    1 sponge cake (I baked a normal one in a loaf pan. When cool I cut it in half length wise and then I cut 15 slices which resulted in 30 pieces)
    around 500 gram thawed berries (a mix of raspberries, bilberries, red currants, blackberries)
    around 700 ml vanilla custard (I was lazy and used store bought ready custard)
    Sherry to taste – optional
    sugar – optional (since the other dessert that I served was extremely sweet I omitted sugar in this one as I thought the custard was sweet enough).
    500 ml double cream, whipped
    two large handfuls of unsalted pistachios, chopped

Place a slice of sponge cake in each cup. Next place berries in each cup, sprinkle with sugar if wanted. Drizzle sherry. Pour some custard in each cup. Next divide the whipped cream and finish with pistachios.

10 Responses to “Mini trifles”

1. Markus "LAKE" Berglund
    December 23rd, 2009 02:36

Förlåt. Blev grannar arga? *blush*

December 23rd, 2009 11:02

De hann laga brevlådan innan vi sade till. Jag tror att de tog det rätt bra med tanke på att de inte har sagt något :-)

3. Dharm
    December 24th, 2009 04:30

Oh MY!! Those look super delicious!! Have a Blessed Christmas dear friend!

4. recipe
    December 24th, 2009 13:57

great recipe for x-mast time

5. Bea
    December 25th, 2009 17:44

Piekne!

Wesolych Swiat Dagmaro!

6. Sanna
    January 24th, 2010 21:10

precis hittat hit! Fastnade för din Trifle… har gjort trifle mycket förr, men nu var det oerhört länge sedan. Blev lite nyfiken på att du inte använde gelé. Det har för mig alltid varit den stående ingrediensen :) Men jag vet att det finns olika sorters trifle, den jag lärde mig var nog en förenklad variant. En engelsk väninna som gjorde den. Bestod av frukt, gelé och custard :) Nu ska jag ta mig en titt runt här…

välkommen in till mig på Veckans middag..

7. Kitchen
    March 1st, 2010 13:17

mmmm…yummy! I bet this is very tasty! Thanks for sharing x

8. Daga
    March 17th, 2010 20:33

No jelly?
    :-)

9. Nicole Martin
    March 18th, 2010 11:50

Hello

I love your website, and I am a cat lover as well as a Japan fan!! I am living in Berlin Germany and Have started a blog on Restaurants , food, and travel , have a look and tell your friends!! I regularly visit your “cat in the kitchen” Keep up the good work!! My blog is called:
    Nicole

10. Magali Alonso
    November 4th, 2010 16:42

Hi,

This is great!!

I’ll be have around 25 people around Christmas and was looking for something simple for dessert.
    This idea is a nice …I will try it tomorrow, and let you know if I did it right! ;o))
    I made some muffins today and I bet my baking powder was outdatedn for my muffins came out just flat! :o((

Magali