Coconut brittle

I love coconut and came up with the idea to add some shredded coconut instead of almonds and spices when making brittle. The result was delicious and super easy to make.

Coconut brittle

200 ml caster sugar
    25 gram butter
    100 ml shredded unsweetened coconut to mix in
    50 ml shredded unsweetened coconut to sprinkle over parchment paper

Put sugar and butter in a frying pan. Let melt on low-medium heat while stirring (preferably with a silicon ladle). When the mixture has become golden coloured shredded coconut. Combine carefully.
    Pour the mixture over a big baking sheet lined with parchment paper and covered with shredded coconut. Cover with another parchment paper and carfully roll with a rolling pin until spread thinly and evenly. Allow to cool, then break into pieces.

10 Responses to “Coconut brittle”

1. justine
    December 13th, 2009 23:11

what a nice ida. i like coconut and so does my mom, so i might just have to try this for the holidays : )

justine

2. Sherpa
    December 14th, 2009 10:07

May I ask if you have a weight conversion for the caster sugar and any specific tips? I tried this recipe a couple of weeks ago (I clearly did something wrong – it’s me, not you!) and, long story short, the butter and sugar separated so I ended up with a pan of clarified butter with a disk of brittle sugar at the bottom. Oops!
    I will try again but would welcome any advice!

December 15th, 2009 14:54

I just made these – they turned out nice :) However, next time I’ll let the sugar melt first without stirring, just turning the pot slightly every now and then – that should help against the brittle sugar at the bottom (it all came together again at the end).
    Sherpa – 100 ml/1 dl of sugar is 85 grams.

December 16th, 2009 11:22

Pille: Thank you very much for the tips and conversion.

Sherpa: I’m very sorry to hear that it did not work for you. I hope that Pille’s tip will work for you. I start with sugar at the bottom and butter (real one) on top. Please let me know if you fail again, because then I’ll re-do it again and write down every single time I stir :-)

5. sheila
    December 17th, 2009 09:41

You have a lovely blog! I would like to give you a lovely blog award button for your website. Please contact me! Thanks for the great recipes

6. Scott at Real Epicurean
    December 17th, 2009 22:00

You’re going brittle crazy. Careful you don’t crack your teeth!

7. Swapna Raghu Sanand
    December 21st, 2009 09:37

What an awesome delicacy you’ve come up with! I am following this blog, its awesome!

8. tom cedric
    December 29th, 2009 02:24

Coconut brittle was very wonderful. I tried it and I loved it… But instead of butter I put plenty of Patan ghee which gave excellent smell and taste… Thanks for such a wonderful dish.

9. John