Airplane food

Those of you who know me, know that I travel every week which means that I spend quite some time in airplanes. I’ve never been a fan of airplane food but as I often arrive at the airport in the very last minute with an empty stomach I frequently grab a bite on the plane. When flying with SAS food is included when flying Economy Extra but not Economy. For Economy there’s a flight shop with sandwiches and cookies, often much better than the free meals in Economy Extra. However I’ve learned the hard way that Swiss don’t offer anything except of a free small and dry sandwich when flying economy, you don’t even have a chance of buying something. So if I don’t have any time to eat before flying Swiss I at least buy some chocolate before boarding as I can’t stand their sandwiches even when I’m hungry. Yes, they are indeed very bad.
Last week my breakfast was frozen; my fruit yoghurt was frozen yoghurt and my wet wipe was completely stiff as it was frozen as well. The orange juice was like Slush Puppy. At least I woke up :-)

What do you think about airplane food? Do you have any favourite airline?

SAS, Economy Extra, dinner on flight from Zürich to Stockholm. Potato salad with smoked salmon. Cheese. Nut and caramel cake. Toblerone chocolate. Free drinks included. Quite nice food actually, being airplane food.

SAS, Economy, breakfast on flight from Stockholm to Copenhagen. Normally when buying breakfast in Economy you get a different breakfast than Economy Extra. However this time I got the same. Warm bread, brie, some kind of ham, orange juice, orange jam, fruit yoghurt.

SAS, Economy Extra, dinner on flight from Copenhagen to Stockholm. I think this was supposed to be pasta salad with pesto and salami. Since the pasta was horrible I just had the salami, bread and the Plopp chocolate (one of my favourites).

18 Responses to “Airplane food”

1. Courtney aka glamah
    October 20th, 2009 04:08

SAS Economy Extra was wonderful.Tons of good food and drink . My favorite airport eateries are in Heathrow. I wish the US airports had better eateries in the airport.

2. D. at Outside Oslo
    October 20th, 2009 07:30

While I can’t tell you about any fantastic airplane meals, I CAN tell you that there’s something about receiving a meal on an airplane that usually makes me enjoy it quite a bit. It may sound strange, but I think it has something to do with the fact that food isn’t as readily accessible on airplanes as it is, well, virtually anywhere else.

I do usually try to bring a snack; while it doesn’t make up for a meal, it can at least help me be patient while the people way in front of me are being served!

3. Bea
    October 20th, 2009 08:54

I ja nie przepadam za samolotowym jedzeniem… Choc zgodze sie z Toba, ze to co mozna kupic z karty na pokladzie SAS jest czesto lepsze od tych proponowanych ‘gratisowych’ posilkow; choc i tak staram sie teraz zawsze cos zjesc w lotniskowej kafejce, przed odlotem.
    I SAS faktycznie bardzo lubie, a Swiss powoli niestety schodzi na psy :/

Pozdrawiam Dagmaro!

4. Nic @ nip it in the bud
    October 21st, 2009 22:01

more and more airlines flying from the UK are reducing fares and not offering food. This is a good thing in my book since it was always appalling if you ordered a veggie meal (and for some reason they always took this to mean that you didn’t want the chocolate treat which was often the only redeeming feature!). We travelled from London to Germany with Airberlin in the summer and simply had a pick of drinks and the offer of a sweet or salty snack. Cool for us as we’re used to taking our own stuff. I’ve never really travelled anywhere very far to need more than that…

5. Angela
    October 21st, 2009 23:45

I came across your blog today looking for interesting rhubarb recipes and was surprised to see your latest entry on airline food: I just wrote an article on dairy-free airline food:

and I’m starting a food blog of my own – I would appreciate any feedback or comments you have. I love your site and hope mine will be as good some day!!

Thanks for the interesting reading and pictures!
    Angela

6. Angela
    October 21st, 2009 23:46

Whoops – forgot to leave the link: http://www.bellyhealthy.com

Thanks!

7. Moody Food Reviews
    October 24th, 2009 20:07

I love airplane food!

8. ptasia
    October 25th, 2009 14:39

Nie latam bardzo często (ostatnio kilka miesięcy temu), ale całkiem lubię jedzenie samolotowe. Właściwie nie samo jedzenie, ale te tacki, pojemniczki, saszetki itd. Podobnie lubię inne gadżety – słuchawki do audio/wideo, mokre chusteczki i gazety.
    Jeśli chodzi o samo jedzenie, najlepsze jadłam w Finnair, podczas lotu z Helsinek do Bombaju. Curry z kurczaka było naprawdę smaczne. A o 4 rano jedliśmy falafela :)
    PS. Zadałam Ci pytanie na Twitterze, ale może nie widziałaś: jak się Julmust ma do kwasu chlebowego, jeśli znasz?

9. Daga
    October 26th, 2009 00:04

Najlepsze jedzenie przytrafilo mi sie na trasie Goteborg-Budapeszt. Linie Malev. Klasa ekonomiczna, a drozdzowki byly gorace i kawa wysmienita.
    W drodze powrotnej ze wzgledu na nadmiar pasazerow trafila mi sie klasa business. Jeszcze fajniej.
    W AirDolomiti raz dostalam mikro lody.
    Pozdrawiam.

10. micook1
    October 29th, 2009 09:34

vegeterian food is allways an issue in flights
    I just found out that there is a new website for posting cooking questions:
    Based on the succesful stackexchange infrastructure. The site provides a reputation management system that ensures that good answers to good questions are more visible.
    Now it’s quite empty, but with time if you’ll post in your questions and answers it can be a really great website!

11. PMK
    October 30th, 2009 01:44

You know, I actually LIKE airplane food. It always reminds me that I’m on an adventure.

US airlines mostly lack food (unless you pay for it.) Shame, really.

12. аксессуары
    October 30th, 2009 17:40

hey,looks like we’re on the same path. good stuff! come by and say hi! cheers Reginald Melchor

13. musicalchef
    October 31st, 2009 15:11

I ordered a vegetarian meal when I flew Singapore Airlines and it was excellent – especially the salad! Second best airplane meal I’ve had was Emirates Airways.

November 4th, 2009 23:46

Thanks for all input regarding airplane food! :-)

Ptasia: Przepraszam ale nie widzialam! Akurat ci odpisalam na Twitter!

15. Blomma
    November 21st, 2009 02:31

The only compagny that gives good food for a short flight is AIR FRANCE. For 2 hours of flight (Stockholm-Paris), you have a complete, simple but delicious diner with starter, main course and dessert. And you can even have white or red wine! Hope they wont change that!

16. jody uecke
    November 23rd, 2009 04:56

beautiful photo. thank you so much. i love your blog. (and i love cats)!

17. baisez
    December 19th, 2009 22:11

Substantially, the article is really the greatest on this noteworthy topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your coming updates. Saying thanks will not just be enough, for the exceptional clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Fabulous work and much success in your business enterprise!

18. Shanna Wester
    February 5th, 2010 01:17

I love flying airlines outside of the US. Here, they give you tiny packets of pretzels for a five-hour, cross-country flight. The only time I got a meal comparable to the photos you show was when I got bumped up to first class–salmon, rice, a sunflower-seed bun, dessert–I felt like a queen.