Home grown peaches

I have a baby in the garden, that is if you could call a peach tree a baby. I have never cared so much for a tree or a plant before as for my beloved peach tree. Peaches you think, in Sweden? The secret is a Lattvian variety called Riga that was planted early spring this year in a big pot on my terrace facing south. It starts flowering early in the season before the bees are awake which means you need to hand pollinate the pretty pink flowers with a brush. You need to cover and protect the tree from frost and cold nights during blossom so it won’t freeze and drop all flowers. And you need to uncover it so it won’t get too warm during warmer days. So that is why I call it a baby, it needs a lot of care. But the reward is so worth it. Succulent, sweet and wonderful peaches far away from store bought. Too tasty to use in baking so we just ate them directly from the tree. This first year we only got 15 peaches, but hopefully there will be more next year. Below are some photos from April when the tree flowered til early August when the peaches were ripe.

Peach tree flowering in April.

April.

Early June.

Early June.

Late July.

Early August. Time to indulge!

21 Responses to “Home grown peaches”

1. Maria
    September 1st, 2009 09:18

Lovely pictures!

September 1st, 2009 10:00

How gorgeous, Dagmar!!! Our garden project is coming to an end, which means that I can start growing and eating my own fruit and veg from next year onwards.
    So did I get it correctly, that you only planted the tree this spring, and already got 15 fruit?? That’s a great result. We don’t expect much from our 4 plum trees during the first 3-5 years…

September 1st, 2009 10:27

Maria: Thanks!

Pille: That sounds great Pille! You’ll have so much fun next year! That’s correct, we bought the tree in late March/early April this year. When it flowered it was covered with beautiful flowers. There were more than 15 peaches from the beginning but I had to remove some as the branches were too weak for so much fruit.
    The plum and cherry bushes that we planted last year did not even flower this year, I guess I need to be patient. But the apple tree planted this spring gave 4 very tasty apples :-)

4. Elisabeth
    September 1st, 2009 11:59

Så fantastiske fersken! Jeg er imponert :D
    Trivelig at du skriver igjen, jeg har savnet deg :p

5. Liska
    September 1st, 2009 15:15

Jak pięknie się prezentują w futerkach :) Lubię zaglądać do Twojego ogródka.

September 1st, 2009 16:09

Thanks, Dagmar. Have you got a photo of the whole tree? (if yes, could you please-please e-mail a copy to me?) I’d like to get an idea of the size.
    And yes, I’ll have fun next year. Hope you get a chance to come and visit and “consult” me soon :)

7. Alicia
    September 1st, 2009 18:01

Yum! Beautiful pics!

8. Rita
    September 1st, 2009 20:35

I can see the juice dribbling down your chin I’m so envious and how proud you must be.

9. DaviMack
    September 1st, 2009 22:40

Beautiful! I’m so glad that you posted this, right now, because we’re considering looking towards Norway for when I graduate, but … well, the cold is a bit intimidating.

Yay!

10. Bea
    September 2nd, 2009 07:42

Wspaniale! Moj maly siostrzeniec nazywal brzoskwinie ‘sliwka w futerku’, na Twoich zdjeciach swietnie to widac :)
    A kwiaty kwitnacej brzoskwini przecudne!

Pozdrawiam :)

11. Helena Ljunggren
    September 2nd, 2009 10:02

Sweet!! How cool is that?! Läckert!!

12. cammu
    September 2nd, 2009 11:13

Mmmmmmm!
    They look so cute and good.

13. pity
    September 4th, 2009 09:57

hi dagmar, i am new to your blog, i love the way you present the recipes and your photos, this particular one of the peaches is so lovely!

i will be back for sure!

cheers from london,

pity

September 4th, 2009 13:58

Elisabeth: Tusen tack!

Liska: Futerka sa bardzo slodke :-)

Pille: I’ll email you!

Alicia: Thanks!

Rita: The juice was indeed dribbling down my chin :-)

DaviMack: Norway is a very beautiful country and you should not be intimidated by the cold, there are so many other things making up for the cold. And the cold is not that bad :-)

Bea: ’sliwka w futerku’ to znakomite imie na brzoskwinie :-) Bardzo dziekuje!

Helena: Det trodde jag verkligen inte gik i Sverige!

cammu: Thanks!

Pity: Hi and welcome!! Thanks!

15. Bea
    September 5th, 2009 09:10

Alez prosze ;)

Milego weekendu Dagmaro!

16. Michelle
    September 9th, 2009 20:36

Dagmar, I am amazed and impressed that you managed to grow these peaches……Wow! I bet they tasted absolutely delicious…

17. COURTNEY
    September 9th, 2009 22:24

Im jealous. Beautiful peaches. I would be proud too.

18. Eric Brown
    September 14th, 2009 03:59

Wow, I’m really jealous. I live in an apartment but when I have land of my own I definitely will be planting a peach tree. I love them. I just picked up some fresh ones today at a farm stand.

19. Trish @ local flower shops
    November 19th, 2009 13:25

I was rationalizing on this topic last evening and I determined to search the World Wide Web for more info. Your blog came up in my research and I’m impress what you have wrote on this theme. As I’m currently broadening my search and thus cannot add further, however, I’ve bookmarked it and will be returning to further comment. Like I said, love this comment and will be back before long.

20. Janet @ flowers
    November 19th, 2009 14:45

I was rationalizing on this subject last evening and I resolved to search the WWW for further info. Your blog came up in my search and I’m impress what you have written on this subject. As I’m currently extending my search and thus cannot chip in further, however, I’ve bookmarked it and will be returning to further comment. Like I said, love this comment and will be back before long.

21. food warmer
    April 26th, 2010 22:28

Dude.. I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read several articles on your blog. Its amazing how interesting it is for me to take a look at you extremely often.