Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes!

Seed potatoes with blue sprouts.

Some month ago I bought seed potatoes at Zetas, my favourite plant store. I was looking for some early potatoes and the only left were Ulster Chieftain. I haven’t tried them before so I don’t really know if I’ll like them. When I came home I placed the potatoes in a cardboard egg box and left it on a windowsill for a few weeks. After some time the potatoes started to sprout and today I finally planted the potatoes in a double pallet collar, which is the way I grow vegetables in my rocky garden. In 10-12 weeks I expect a lot of tasty potatoes!
Have you grown potatoes? Do you have any prefered variety?

13 Responses to “Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes!”

1. Lucy
    May 4th, 2009 16:00

I plopped some vitelotte potatoes into the earth this Spring and they have started to grow. We’ll see that they give!

2. DaviMack
    May 4th, 2009 19:53

Ooh! I love to grow potatoes! We grew the Peruvian Blue potatoes one year: we planted them in a plastic trash bin, with the bottom cut out. We kept adding soil and straw, covering the vine, until they came all the way out the top of the can. When it was time to harvest, we just tipped the can over, and had lots of potatoes!

3. novia
    May 5th, 2009 00:53

lovely pictures. what would you cook that potatoes?
    one of my fave blogs. lovely pictures & yummy food.

novia

indonesia

4. Kathie
    May 7th, 2009 21:10

Potatoes are super easy to grow. I hope yours are great!

5. Meow
    May 8th, 2009 09:52

I used to bury sprouted potatoes when I was a kid.. all of them died. :)

6. Jamie
    May 10th, 2009 16:01

Can’t wait to see how they turn out!

We don’t have a garden, but we took old potatoes that had started to sprout and planted them in small containers and just put the plants out to decorate the apartment!

7. fran39
    May 12th, 2009 14:23

I’m growing six heritage varieties here in London: salad blue, Shetland Blue, burgandy red, skerry blue, shetland black and the wonderfully named Mr Little’s yeltholn gypsy. Yum!

8. Sherry
    May 12th, 2009 21:11

I’ve never grown potatoes; lots of other goodies in my garden though. I’ll have to give it a go next year.

9. Pasadena Restaurants
    May 13th, 2009 15:01

How about sweet potatoes… They can be grown throughout the year as long as the environment is warm and frost free.

10. Karin
    May 16th, 2009 18:51

I used to grow “Maria” I choosed it the first time becourse it/ she was recistent to almost all decieses, later becourse of the flavour

May 17th, 2009 21:01

Lucy: I hope you’ll get plenty of them!

DaviMack: Blue potatoes are really pretty! It’s amazing that it’s possible to grow potatoes in a trash bin!

Novia: Thank you! If the potoates grow properly then I’ll probably do all kinds of dishes.

Kathie: Thanks!

Meow: Too bad they didn’t make it!

Jamie: I’ll keep you posted. The potato flowers are very pretty!

Fran: Wow, your varieties sound delicious and interesting!

Sherry: I hope you’ll be able to try it next year.

Karin: Thanks for the tip. I’ll try Maria next year.

12. Gourmet Mama
    June 28th, 2009 08:01

I love potatoes and cooking with them. I’m not growing any at the moment. But I might in a month or two. You’ve got some lovely ones there and the photo looks wonderful. I’m looking forward to finding out what you do with them.