Bison grass and apple cocktail or “Tatanka” or “Szarlotka”

Żubrówka is a Polish vodka that is infused with bison grass from the Białowieża Forest on the border between Poland and Belarus. It has a vague hint of vanilla and almonds, and I love using it in drinks and cocktails mixing it with champagne and other ingredients. But an amazingly easy and delicious drink is to only use Żubrówka and apple juice. The vodka in combination with the apple juice results in a wintery drink with a scent of cinnamon and vanilla. In Poland the combination of Żubrówka and apple juice is often refered to as Tatanka or Szarlotka. Szarlotka actually means apple pie and gives you a clue about how delicious this cocktail is! Just make sure to use fresh apple juice to get a really tasty drink.

Happy New Year!

Bison grass and apple cocktail
    one glass

5 cl Żubrówka
    200 ml fresh high quality apple juice
    ice

Put ice cubes in glass. Add Żubrówka and apple juice.

14 Responses to “Bison grass and apple cocktail or “Tatanka” or “Szarlotka””

1. Courtney aka glamah
    January 1st, 2009 23:09

Sounds like a wonderful drink. Hope you are celebrating the New Year in style.

2. Cecilia
    January 2nd, 2009 15:09

This sounds perfect for a winter party. And it’s a recipe even *I* could make! BTW, does Tatanka mean bison? I think I remember it from “Dances with Wolves”.

3. Bea
    January 2nd, 2009 17:46

One of my favourite cocktails! :)

Happy New Year!

4. Aneta
    January 2nd, 2009 20:18

@Cecilia:
    probably, for the name Tatanka we should thank a Sioux called Sitting Bull http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatanka_Iyotake and the popularity of Carl May’s Indian stories in Poland in 80s.
    the Polish name for bison [but only for the species that lives in Poland] is “żubr” and that is why the vodka is called “żubrówka”

5. Claudia
    January 3rd, 2009 03:31

What a shame we don’t have Zubrowka here in Hawaii. It sounds lovely. I’ll trade you for a bottle of my Lemon Mead.

6. katie
    January 3rd, 2009 13:41

Awh, they serve this drink in a bar in Newcastle. It’s one of my favorites. I hate apples but love the flavor, add alcohol and everyone’s a winner!

katie xo

7. Scott at Realepicurean
    January 4th, 2009 21:25

Yes – I love Zubrowka with apple juice! Kind of reminds me of apple pie.

Great to see you’re still posting Polish recipes.

8. gemma
    January 6th, 2009 22:04

I love żubrówka!

9. frankie
    January 9th, 2009 18:00

I just tried your recipe today and wanted to say thank you, because it was really tasty! :)

January 26th, 2009 00:20

Frankie: I’m happy that you liked it and that you let me know!

11. karin
    January 30th, 2009 13:47

Hej Dagmar
    Jag skall troligen åka till Polen i vår Gdansk på spa och har skrivit upp Zubrowka på inköpslistan. Finns det några andra saker du tycker jag borde prova?
    Hälsningar

Karin

January 30th, 2009 15:30

Hej Karin,

Det finns hur mycket som helst som är gott! :-)

Här är en liten lista men det finns så mycket mer:

*polsk korv – det finns massor av olika sorter. Makens favorit är kabanos (ölkorv). Det bästa är att kolla runt i affären.

*Sernik – polsk ostkaka

*Makowiec – vallmokaka (vissa säljer sernikomakowiec, dvs en kombo av sernik och makowiec).

*Paczki (uttalas ungefär pontjski). De är ungefär som berlinermunkar och skall helst ätas varma.

Men det finns som sagt mycket mer!!

Hoppas att du kommer iväg och att du får en härlig resa!

hälsningar
    Dagmar

13. Natasja
    September 3rd, 2010 16:29

Just returned from Warsaw with a bottle of Zubrowka :-)

@the writer: Thank you!
    And a slice of lemon could be added to the Tatanka for a nice fresh flavor.

@Scott: I learned today that “Sharlotka” means applepie…maybe this is why it reminds you of it.