Halloween cookies with cardamom

For the last years Halloween has become more and more popular to celebrate in Sweden. During the last week I’ve seen a lot of Halloween related merchandise and even ghost and pumpkin pastries in our local bakery. This year, my first in a house, we’ve carved a pumpkin and we’ve bought candies for the children that might come to trick or treat. I’m not so sure if anyone will pass by, but you never know.

I was very eager to try the new pumpkin shaped cookie cutter that I received in my blogging my mail parcel the other day, so I tried to find a good cut out cookie recipe. I decided to try a recipe from Allrecipes that I adjusted a bit, the biggest change was to add cardamom. The recipe is super simple and the cookies taste great; I believe it’s one of the best cut out recipes that I’ve tried. I decorated stems with melted chocolate and I piped faces with icing that I made with orange food colouring, icing sugar and a tiny splash of water.

Cut out cookies
    adapted from Allrecipes

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
    2 cups vanilla infused sugar
    4 eggs
    5 cups flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1.5 tsp ground cardamom

Beat butter and sugar with an electric beater until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add flour, cardamom and baking powder. Combine. Cover dough and chill in the fridge for one hour.
    Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Roll out dough on floured surface, about 1 cm thick. Cut out cookies with a cookie cutter. Place cookies on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake 6-10 minutes, make sure not to burn. Let cool before decorating.

9 Responses to “Halloween cookies with cardamom”

1. Lena
    October 31st, 2008 00:50

Soo cute!
    Happy Halloween to you and F.

2. Joanna in the kitchen
    October 31st, 2008 14:28

Oh soo cute…. Happy Halloweeen :-)

3. Fran Z
    November 1st, 2008 02:22

Dagmar. so cute! Now that my kids are grown, my husband and I still get tons of pumpkins just so we can bake up the pumpkin seeds with a little garlic and salt. I love fall!!

4. Daniel
    November 1st, 2008 13:14

Fina små kakor :-) ha en trevlig halloween mvh Daniel

5. Bea
    November 2nd, 2008 09:26

Sliczne! :)

6. Nicisme
    November 2nd, 2008 17:52

Very cute… and tasty too!

7. Julie Pia
    November 4th, 2008 06:12

Dearest Dagmar,
    Where shall I begin? I just received the most amazing package from Sweden. You made my and my families day. Thank you soooooo much for all the wonderful items you sent. The candy was a huge hit amongst my children. I will be posting all about it tomorrow.

Also, thank you for commenting on our Grandpa. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. He passed away a few days ago.

I also want you to know my family is from Stockhom. Do you know any Segerstedts? I tell you, it’s a small world.

I read your blog and I think you are lovely. Thanks for sharing with me. I hope we can stay friends forever! Maybe pen pals. Love you, Julie Pia from monkeeinthemiddle.blogspot.com

November 4th, 2008 17:50

Dear Julie, I’m so glad that you liked the package and I look forward to the post!
    I’m really sorry to hear about Grandpa. I’m very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I don’t know any Segerstedts…

Take care! Of course we should stay in touch!
    hugs Dagmar

9. Darcy
    May 17th, 2010 17:47

Wooooooow. I stumbled onto your blog Googling “intense cinnamon cookie recipe “First off, you are a cat person. You get an A+ for that. Secondly, your pictures are wonderful. Thirdly, and most impressive, you list your sources. This act is sadly lacking in so many things I read and even in the books I read. I applaude you… unless you are some sort of professional writer and photographer – then simply a job well done. ;)