Do men need their own food magazine?

I was surprised today when I received a press release for a new Swedish food magazine especially for men. I just can’t figure out why there is a need for a food magazine for men, other than the magazine wants sponsors and ads that are directed to men. I havn’t seen the magazine yet, so I probably shouldn’t question it. But I saw some notes about the contents and if I was a man I would be affended. Affended that my interests allegedly would be where to find the cheapest beer or being interested in what relationship semi famous people have to coffee. No, stay online and read all lovely food blogs instead, there are plenty of excellent food blogs written by men:

David Lebovitz
Cooking for Engineers
Dad – Baker & Chef
Real Epicurean
Spittoon Extra
Matblogg (in Swedish)

6 Responses to “Do men need their own food magazine?”

1. COURTNEY
    October 22nd, 2008 18:21

Thats a interesting concept. The better food magazines I find are geared to both men and women. And yes some of my favorite bloggers are men. I love their passion about food.

2. DaviMack
    October 22nd, 2008 20:35

And I, as a man, detest the idea of magazines for men! I just want magazines which don’t treat me as a target audience, which means that if there had to be a magazine, I’d probably find it easier to read women’s magazines (there are so many products which just don’t apply that the ads are easier to ignore). :)

3. Scott at Realepicurean
    October 22nd, 2008 20:44

I never really considered gender when blogging or reading a blog…

Now please go read my latest post about beer and bikini clad ladies. ;)

4. Christopher Anderton
    October 22nd, 2008 22:27

I really don’t care if they call it “for men”. I think is a “marketing trick” to get a new target group (read: men, 30 something, good income) to get into something they never have done before.

The food magazines in Sweden is made by women, and appeal mostly to women (and me) because the content mostly is classical “home wife” stuff (yes, i know i exaggerate).

I like to see something new on the market. Something that you actually read, and don’t turn pages on.

More about that on Matblogg (click my name to go to that post). In Swedish only.

October 27th, 2008 21:59

Courtney: I agree that the best magazines are intended to both genders.

DaviMack: Good point!

Scott: LOL

Christopher: Yes indeed, it’s more of a marketing trick but still. I get the impression that this magazine seems very “flamsig” and not serious. Mat och Vänner is a good example of a Swedish neutral food magazine with nice articles. I just think a specific food magazine for men is quite silly, especially after reading about what they plan to write about. But we’ll see how long they’ll last on the small Swedish magazine market :-)

6. food magazine
    November 3rd, 2008 11:32

The concept about the food magazine its so interesting and yet its good for men and women.