Shrimp frenzy

What would you say if you would be served a large bowl of unpeeled shrimps, cooked and cold? That is typical Swedish and we even have a specific word for it, räkfrossa. The closest translation would be something like shrimp frenzy, which tells you a little bit about the scale of the event. So what is it all about? You eat shrimps, a lot. And with a lot I mean enormous amounts with condiments such as mayonnaise, different sauces and fresh baguettes. You peel the shrimps on your plate and indulge them until you almost drop.

The last time my parents in law visited us they brought 6 or maybe even 8 kg of fresh shrimps that were caught and cooked the day before coming to us. We had a lovely shrimp frenzy with the shrimps from the west coast. There’s something therapeutic with peeling shrimps, talking and catching up. Despite our shrimp frenzy, we didn’t manage to eat much of them so the majority of the shrimps went to the freezer.

6 Responses to “Shrimp frenzy”

1. Courtney aka glamah
    September 9th, 2008 15:07

I love a meal like that. Sometimes I boil them in creole spice blend and just eat chilled like so. But I love it Swedish style with a nice aioli too.

2. Andrea
    September 9th, 2008 18:38

What a lovely tradition! Shrimps can be such a social food, and it sounds like that’s the basis for your shrimp frenzy. You’re lucky to have such a great supply!

3. Eliane
    September 10th, 2008 22:12

Lovely. When I was young, my grandmother would buy bags of shrimp to peel and eat as a picnic on the beach, sheltering behind a breakwater. Simple things are often the best.

4. Christel
    September 27th, 2008 23:20

I LOVE shrimps! Well done on your blog which I came across tonight!!!

5. ptfe jewelry
    September 29th, 2008 01:52

wcmh nemi

6. Clyde Favela
    February 9th, 2010 08:31

Thanks to this post I do not seem like an idiot. I had an argument with someone and this proves I was right. Thanks!