Daring Bakers: Chocolate éclairs

Have you seen a lot of éclair posts since yesterday? Yes, it’s Daring Bakers again. As usual I postponed the baking until the last minute and normally that isn’t any problem. Except for the part that I woke up on Saturday morning with a very sore throat and head ache. So during the weekend I just tried to recover and today after work I rushed home to finish the challenge. One day delayed, but at least I did it :-)

This month’s challenge was to bake Chocolate éclairs from Pierre Hermé’s “Chocolate Desserts” and the recipe was picked by Meeta and Tony.

Anne had given me the great tip to prepare the chocolate sauce (for the glaze) on Sunday evening, so that I did just before going to bed. On Monday evening after work I baked half of the éclairs and decided to freeze the other half. After around 20 minutes in the oven they were ready and looked nice. Except for the part that they were completely deflated and where still not hollow inside. By that time the other half of the éclairs were frozen, but I just put them directly into the oven, and waited. And waited. Baking the éclairs for almost 10 minutes more made the trick. While waiting for them to cool I made the chocolate glaze. I was too hungry to make a pastry cream so I just filled the éclairs with whipped cream and raspberries, and then I poured chocolate glaze on top. A delicious dinner! :-)

Thanks Meeta and Tony for hosting, and for a lovely recipe!
For recipe go to Meeta’s éclair post.

24 Responses to “Daring Bakers: Chocolate éclairs”

1. Meeta
    September 1st, 2008 20:44

glad you managed these. they look great with the raspberries!

2. Courtney aka glamah
    September 1st, 2008 20:50

I hope you are feeling better. They look so light and scrumptious!

3. Tablebread
    September 1st, 2008 20:59

Dedication – one of the hallmarks of a Daring Baker! Your eclairs are fabulous!

4. nek0
    September 1st, 2008 21:53

Well well, those eclairs look perfect! Yummm! ^_^

5. awoz
    September 1st, 2008 22:05

Cream and raspberry eclair must be very delicous…The sure do look great.Take care!

6. Markus "LAKE" Berglund
    September 1st, 2008 22:14

Fruktansvärt läckra bilder! Jag avundas din respektive som bara sitter och väntar på bakverken framför datorn…

:-D

7. Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer
    September 1st, 2008 22:21

Very impressive – I love that you incorporated fresh rasberries. I am sure they add incredible flavor but the color burst is wonderful as well.

Happy Labor Day

8. Shandy
    September 1st, 2008 23:54

I hope you are starting to feel better. Your eclairs are so pretty with the addition of raspberries. What a great idea =D

9. peteformation
    September 2nd, 2008 03:46

Mmmmmm, I can smell the chocolate. Nicely presented! Yummy

10. Molly W
    September 2nd, 2008 06:46

I really really like the idea of whipped cream and raspberries inside the eclair. That’s on the top of my eclairs improvisation list. And I am really intrigued by the idea of cooking frozen eclair batter.

11. Rosa
    September 2nd, 2008 07:02

They look fantastic! Very beautiful, extremely tempting and really delicious looking! Very well done again!

cheers,

Rosa

12. Anne
    September 2nd, 2008 07:19

See, that’s what I really wanted to do for the filling :) Glad it worked out with the second batch for you! I must have been severely lucky for a change, I’ve read so much about deflating everywhere but mine puffed up just fine.

13. Céline
    September 2nd, 2008 07:53

They llok beautiful and they probably taste very good!

September 2nd, 2008 09:26

The eclairs look beautiful, Dagmar!! I love the red berry dots!

15. Lisa
    September 2nd, 2008 11:37

Gorgeous! I used raspberries too, although my ‘oozy’ pastry cream ‘oozed’ over them so you couldn’t see them.

16. Haley
    September 2nd, 2008 18:40

All I can say is… I need this! I have to have one! I like the addition of the berries. Looks tasty!

We’d like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest. All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you’re interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/08/29/september-kick-contest/

Thanks :),
    Haley
    KI Blogger

17. Angela
    September 2nd, 2008 19:00

Beautiful éclairs, Dagmar! I hope that you’re feeling better now.

18. Bea
    September 2nd, 2008 20:22

Mhmmm… they look very delicous!

19. marion
    September 3rd, 2008 11:56

Oh how gorgeous !!!!!! Great idea to use raspberries ! you’ve done a wonderful job :)

20. Pat
    September 3rd, 2008 12:12

Very delicious!!!

21. Joanna
    September 4th, 2008 08:00

Wow! Gorgeous eclairs… I love raspberry, they add such an elegant touch to your already beautiful pastries :)

22. George@CulinaryTravels
    September 4th, 2008 19:15

Oh they are gorgeous. I just love how the filling oozes out :)

23. Sophie
    September 4th, 2008 21:17

Great idea to add the berries, the color really makes the eclairs pop out of that picture — it’s delicious :).

We’d like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest (the recipe can be sweet or savory). All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you’re interested.

Thanks :),