Cucumber, mint and feta dip

Yesterday I wrote about my crystal apple cucumbers. This luscious dip is the only thing I’ve done with my cucumbers so far. My intention was to do tsatsiki but as I didn’t have any yoghurt I made up this dip instead. I served it with grape-leaf dolmades and bread, and it was lovely.

How many things can you actually do with cucumbers other than salad or tsatsiki? I’ve read about frying cucumbers, but it doesn’t sound right. I’ve seen soup recipes as well, but nothing that I really want to do. What is your favourite fresh cucumber recipe?

Cucumber, mint and feta dip

100 gram feta cheese
    100 ml sour cream
    1.5 tsp fresh mint, finely chopped
    3-4 crystal apple cucumbers (or around 140 gram cucumber), coursely grated

Mash the feta cheese with a fork, you still want small chunks and not a smooth mixture. Combine with sour cream, mint and grated cucumbers.

12 Responses to “Cucumber, mint and feta dip”

1. Cathy - Wherersmydamnanswer
    August 26th, 2008 23:55

This really looks great as I would have not thought of marrying these two – Glad you did!!

2. Nirmala
    August 27th, 2008 05:48

I am a regular visitor of u’re blog since 2 years and have tried several of u’re recipes. I live in india and this dip looks similar to the raita we make. We use just fresh curds, mint, coriader and grated cucumber which I love it!

3. Alessandra
    August 28th, 2008 03:06

I adore gazpacho, it’s a great way to use fresh cucumbers… and pepper, and celery, and tomatos, and… :-)

4. Kinna
    August 28th, 2008 11:05

You can always preserve cucumbers for the winter or simple serve them with white vinegar, sugar and water as a small sallad with meat or also with salmon. Here it is (in swedish).

Inlagd gurka
    Slanggurka
    Ättikslag
    ½ dl 24 % ig ättika
    3 dl vatten
    2 dl socker
    Persilja

Skiva gurkan tunt, tunt med t ex osthyvel, mandolin eller i matberedaren. Blanda lagen ? på skånska säger man att den ska vara kränged ? dvs. det ska sticka i halsen när man smakar på den. Häll lagen över gurkan. Klipp persilja fint och häll över. Låt stå någon timme före servering. Gurkan håller sig i kylskåp flera dagar men tappar färg efter ett tag.

5. Sues is not Martha
    August 28th, 2008 15:06

I’m very obsessed with feta right now so this is right up my alley! Looks delicious!

August 28th, 2008 23:10

Cathy: It surely was a good idea :-)

Nirmala: Hi! I’ve had raita a few times and it was good!

Alessandra: Thanks for the tip!

Kinna: Thanks for the recipe!

Sues is not Martha: Thanks!

7. limette
    August 30th, 2008 17:41

the chinese version (with lots of garlic): see here: http://www.heldersekookclub.nl/Seizoen0405/02oktober/11.htm
    and a picture (plus german text) here: http://peho.typepad.com/chili_und_ciabatta/2008/04/chinesische-ssa.html

8. Dorota
    August 31st, 2008 09:38

Chlodnik!Mizeria (I could eat mezeria every day).

9. Matin
    August 31st, 2008 19:47

I love this as a dip or side dish without feta. We sometimes add a minced garlic to it and it is divine:-)
    X M

10. Bene
    September 5th, 2008 22:36

Hello there! Love your site, and I’ve been lurking for a few months. What gorgeous pictures and recipes!

About using cucumbers:
    I’m Chinese, and a favorite way of using cucumbers for my family is to cut the cukes in half lengthwise, then into chunks. Cook it in a wok with some chicken broth, closing the lid and cooking with a low flame until tender. Then add some oyster sauce, chopped garlic, and some soy sauce. Few minutes more to allow the oyster flavor to set in, and voila!

11. Benny
    September 7th, 2008 18:33

Hi Dagmar, made one myself too. Here it is… http://www.pbase.com/image/102793389

It taste excellent with bread and cucumber.

12. Silje
    November 19th, 2008 20:01

Har just oppdaget denne bloggen – mange spennende retter her :) Måtte kommentere her pga jeg har en oppskrift i min blogg med stekt agurk! Har bare prøvd det den ene gangen, men det fungerte bra :)