Sweet green tomato pies with almond paste and lemon

We had a minor storm last night and when I woke up this morning some of the branches on the tomato plants were broken. I went out on the terrace in the pouring rain to raise the fallen plants, thinking about all those green tomatos on the broken branches and what to do with them. I first thought of making a green tomato jam, but after looking in one of the cookbooks I saw a green tomato pie recipe. Aha, perfect! I didn’t follow the recipe at all (except for the fact that I used green unripe tomatos) and decided that the tomatos would go well with almond paste and lemon. So I collected all my unripe tomatos, put on my kitchen music (the best of Dean Martin) and just after hearing the first tones F shouted from the ground flour asking what I was baking. For a second I didn’t know what I should say. Should I tell him about my crazy plan, with the risk of having to eat everything by myself as he sometimes is a bit fuzzy with vegetables and vegetable cakes? But I was honest and he answered that it sounded “interesting” wondering how on earth such a thing could be edible…

I used a Donna Hay recipe for the pastry and the filling was just a gamble that turned out excellent! Next time I’ll try with cinnamon instead of lemon or maybe something else. And there will be a next time because we both really liked these mini pies and I’m sure that by the end of summer I’ll end up with more unripe green tomatoes. If you’re tired of making green tomato jam or fried green tomatoes every time the summer ends to quickly or a storm splits your plants resulting in a lot of unripe tomatoes, bake these sweet and delicious pies. As soon as you taste them you’ll forget all about bad weather and the end of the summer.

Unripe tomatoes of different kinds: yellow pear shaped, black cherry and bloody butcher.

Mini green tomato pies with almond paste and lemon
    (makes 5 pies, using 12 cm * 2 cm metal pie tins)

basic vanilla pastry (adapted from Donna Hay):
    250 gram flour
    1 tbsp icing sugar
    180 gram unsalted butter, cold and chopped
    80 ml ice water
    1 vanilla pod, the interior

Filling:
    180 gram unripe tomatoes, mixed sorts (mostly cherry tomatoes)
    200 gram almond paste
    50 gram unsalted butter, softened
    zest from one lemon
    1 tbsp Grand Marnier
    0.5 tbsp flour

milk for brushing
    caster sugar to sprinkle on top of pies

pastry:
    Combine flour, sugar, vanilla and butter in a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. While still running the food processor, add water little by little until a smooth dough is created. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes before using.

filling:
    Grate almond paste and combine with softened butter. Chop the tomatoes coursly. Add tomatoes, lemon zest, Grand Marnier and flour to the butter/almond paste mixture. Combine.

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (convection oven). Lightly grease the metal tins with butter.
    Take 2/3 of the pastry and roll out to 3-4 mm thick. Cut out 5 rounds, around 2 cm wider than the tins. Line the pie tins with the pastry and trim the edges.

Divide the tomato filling between the pies. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut in strips. Arrange the strips on the pies to a lattice pattern. Press and trim the edges. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30 minutes, until the pies are golden.

Filling with tomatoes and almond paste

19 Responses to “Sweet green tomato pies with almond paste and lemon”

1. Judith
    August 6th, 2008 02:23

Oh, wow!

What an awesome idea, and some of my favourite flavours, too. I’ve been looking for ways to use green tomatoes without frying. Unfortunately it’s too hot for ovens right now, but hopefully the Farmer’s Market will have some greenies in September still.

2. [eatingclub] vancouver || js
    August 6th, 2008 02:26

One great way to deal with adversity: make green tomato pie. I’m definitely intrigued by this green tomato pie. What an inspired idea.

3. Archana
    August 6th, 2008 10:37

A great idea and lovely flavors. The green tomatoes are so aptly used. I never buy them usually, but this gives me a chance to buy them and try this recipe out. Looks delicious. BTW, I am also hosting a ONE DISH MEAL- Salad event. I would Love for you to participate and send a recipe across. The rules for the event are in my website.

4. Foodycat
    August 6th, 2008 11:35

That’s such a good idea! Our tomatoes are just getting started, so I may get to do this.

5. Lena
    August 6th, 2008 20:01

That really sounds interesting, I am dying to try it. But how to get green tomatoes if I do not have tomato plants?
    Btw I Love the first picture it would be a perfect cover for the “Autumn pies” cookbook if there was such a book :)

6. Poonam
    August 6th, 2008 20:37

Sounds delicious!

7. Courtney aka glamah
    August 7th, 2008 04:09

Dagmar,
    This sounds great and a nice alternative to fried green tomatoes.I have to try this. I would never thought to pair almond paste with green tomatoes.

8. Bea
    August 7th, 2008 15:59

It’s a very good idea, I’ll try this weekend :)
    PS. Could you tell me the title of this Donna Hay’s book? Thnx!

9. GirlCanBake
    August 8th, 2008 23:23

What a crazy combination! I love it!

10. Jensen
    August 11th, 2008 07:26

Really a good idea 2 make a delicious food in the week end.

11. Mark
    August 11th, 2008 20:28

It the weather in the UK stays dull I may need this for all the green tomatoes we have grown. Thanks !

12. Spicynamnam.com
    August 13th, 2008 22:39

Mums!

13. Reeni
    August 17th, 2008 21:51

I love green tomatoes, this looks so delicious!

August 17th, 2008 21:58

Thanks for all sweet comments!

Lena: Tack så hemskt mycket :-) You’re always welcome, we have plenty of green ones :-)

Bea: It’s from a Donna Hay magazine, I think that it’s issue 36 but I’m not sure.

15. DocChuck
    November 10th, 2008 20:53

Wow! What a creative idea.

My wife (Dr. E.) and I LOVE green tomatoes, especially fried green tomatoes and salsa made with green tomatoes . . . but a PIE?

Who would have thought?

Thanks for a great idea.

DocChuck

p.s. We also love Sweden!

16. MrsDocChuck
    November 12th, 2008 01:06

Now that we are on a fixed income, recipes like this are a Godsend!

I made it for Chuck over the weekend (despite my busy career as a registered nurse) and we both thought the pie was SPECTACULAR!

And yes we are both big fans of Sweden. I love pickled herring and my husband has something of a crush on Crown Princess Victoria and has an impressive figurine collection of the entire Swedish Royal family,

We’ll be enjpying this tomato pie for years to come, thanks!

17. Louise Wyers
    November 12th, 2008 21:07

I’m sorry, but I got drunk again after taking my anti-depressant pills and made the above post as “MrsDocChuck.”

I am so upset because I think that “Big Bear” my boyfriend (who is really David Wyers) is getting ready to dump me, just like my other four ex-husbands.

I apologize for any problems that I may have caused.

Louise Wyers (“therealchiffonade”)
    Serious Eats Website staff member

18. chiffonade
    January 3rd, 2009 17:40

As you can see, your blog has been “trolled” by Doc Chuck and all the little imaginary occupants of his head. He has misrepresented himself as me when he posts as “Louise Wyers.” I have only to ascertain that he wishes he were me.

Please feel free to delete any inappropriate content from the comments above.

He quit using my real e-mail address in these fake posts because (it took a while but) he eventually figured out that when the blog operator contacts me to complain about nasty comments, I tell him or her all about the poor “Doc.”

PS – I love the tomato pie you have presented! I love green tomatoes and usually wind up pickling them. Never thought of this application but will certainly try it next time green tomato season rolls around.

Here’s to great cooking in ’09. If you’d like further information about Doc Chuck, please e-mail me at the address below.

Chiffonade
    chiffonade@hotmail.com

19. Lamar Brannan
    December 25th, 2009 18:53

Hello,thanks for this fantastic blogg, i really find many new things on it and i really loved the design of the blogg. I found it on google. I also want to wish you a happy new year.