Horseradish aioli

Aioli, garlic mayonnaise, is really simple to make and easy to vary. Try to combine it with your favourite spice or herb. I found the below delicious variant with horseradish when I was googling for horseradish recipes. This aioli doesn’t contain too much garlic as it puts the horseradish in first place. With this recipe I finally got an opportunity to use the Ramsons vinegar that I got from Anne. Ramsons is wild garlic and was perfect to use in the aioli. I served the aioli with grilled salmon and bulgur with fresh vegetables; yummy!

Horseradish aioli
    (source: Gefle Dagblad)

2 egg yolks
    200 ml mild olive oil
    1 tsp vinegar (I used vinegar with Ramsons)
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 garlic clove, minced or finely grated
    2 tbsp freshly grated horseradish
    Maldon sea salt
    black pepper
    1 tbsp warm water

Whip egg yolks, vinegar and mustard with an electric beater.
    Gradually add olive oil in a thin stream, beating constantly. When light and creamy add a tablespoon of warm water. Add garlic and horseradish. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate.

11 Responses to “Horseradish aioli”

1. courtney
    August 4th, 2008 22:07

I love fresh horseradish. I imagine this would compliment a burger as well!

2. [eatingclub] vancouver || js
    August 5th, 2008 04:34

Horseradish aioli sounds great! Imagine the possibilities. . .

3. Lena
    August 5th, 2008 11:26

I love both aioli and horseradish, this I have to try.

4. Foodycat
    August 5th, 2008 15:06

That sounds really good – especially with salmon!

August 5th, 2008 22:26

courtney: You’re right. This would be great with a burger.

eatingclub: Horseradish is great with a lot of things, we just have to figure them out :-)

Lena: It’s really good, especially if you love horseradish.

6. Cathy-wheresmydamnanswer
    August 8th, 2008 02:20

I love Aioli on so many things and this would be no different – I am already tasting this on a big juicy steak or as the other mentioned a burger. YUM The only thing I cannot find is the “Maldon” sea salt is there something different or special about this vs just the regular kind.

7. Hanna
    August 9th, 2008 09:56

Mayo is definitely the best sauce in the world :P Och jag älskar pepparrot, nammmm!

8. Coco
    August 15th, 2008 15:22

Wow a horseradish aioli sounds interesting. Horseradish is not something available here and I can only use the bottled horseradish sauces. Obviously, fresh is much better, but I’ve always been curious how much different it really is. Any help?

August 17th, 2008 22:05

Cathy: You can just use any kind of sea salt.

Hanna: JAg med :-)

Coco: I’ve never had bottled horseradish sauce so I can’t really help out. You’ll have to feel your way on how much to add. Sorry!

10. malika