A report from the kitchen garden

White Icicle radish, quite strong.

French breakfast radish.

Cute signs (thanks again to Anne for the tip on where to find them!).

Growing tomato.

Some of the 20 (!) tomato plants that I have. I’ve grown them from seeds and I’m very proud :-) I’ve planted Black cherry, Tigrella, Gardener’s delight, yellow pear shaped tomato, Bloody butcher and Tiny Tim. They are all flowering, so eventually there will be a lot of tomatoes.

Smulgubbe, a cross between wild strawberries and normal ones.

Cape gooseberry or physalis.

Blooming wild strawberries.

I’m experimenting with a watermelon plant. Only one of 4 plants survived.

And yes, there is a tiny watermelon growing!

20 Responses to “A report from the kitchen garden”

1. courtney
    July 9th, 2008 22:03

What a garden Dagmar. You can open a stand soon! Cant wait to see all the great food from this.

2. diva
    July 10th, 2008 09:29

wow! your garden is so cool. love that cross strawberry and hope they keep growing and growing. my dad’s garden keeps producing loads of papayas and custard apples. the mango tree ain’t offering us any love though, that selfish bugger! x

July 10th, 2008 12:00

I grew small watermelons in a container last summer (“Sugar Baby”), and they were adorably tasty, the size of a tennis ball when finished.
    Your garden seems to do very well – I need to get some of those garden signs myself for next year :)

4. Rita S.
    July 10th, 2008 12:42

Everything looks great! Are you aso growing any herbs? Now that you live in the country , next year will you be planting tomato plants in the ground? Or will you continue to plant them in the pots? You have a great green thumb! Keep up the good work, I just love your site, you have given me courage to start my own. Thank You Rita

5. Kalyn
    July 10th, 2008 15:10

I’m very impressed that you’re growing all those tomatoes from seeds. Here I always take the lazy way out and buy small tomato plants to get me started!

6. Belen
    July 10th, 2008 19:57

your plants are amazing!!! congatulations and thanks for the fotos

7. Foodycat
    July 11th, 2008 11:55

Lovely pictures! It all looks so serene (and so very tasty).

8. Dorota
    July 13th, 2008 20:28

Dagmara your container garden look so pretty and serene.
    Wszystkiego dobrego :-)

9. Veggie Mom
    July 13th, 2008 21:54

Love your photos, love your signs, LOVE your garden! My neighbor has a beautiful veggie garden like this. I’m just a beginner, but I’m working hard at cultivating something this beautiful!

10. Marina
    July 14th, 2008 00:14

Hi!!i came by chance to your blog, and its very interesting, i was in Sweden last month and the family i stayed with prepared for breakfast on weekends Love Yummies or Snoddas, i really loved them!!and i wanted to try at home (im from Spain) so i mede the recip in your blog, but it wasn’t like the ones i ate, maybe i didnot understan the recipe…but the one i eat have soft chocolate over the cake, and no coffe, do you know how can I make it??im not a godd cooking, so i need some help to learn!!thanks you a lot!!i will keep on reading your blog!kiss

11. Liska
    July 14th, 2008 21:13

Piękne pomidory! (A najbardziej i tak zazdroszczę physalisu…. Ach te konfiturki:))

12. jasmine
    July 16th, 2008 05:17

Your garden looks great. My mum has been hinting that I should start one. I’m hoping to take my first steps next year.

j

13. Ms.____ 2 be!
    July 17th, 2008 22:42

Cute little garden!

14. Y
    July 18th, 2008 01:35

Gorgeous photos! I think you could teach my plants a thing or two about growing! hehe..

15. Moria
    July 18th, 2008 21:54

Dette er jo fantastisk :D Kjøkkenhage! Helt uten å overdrive. Du har alt mulig, jo.

16. Donal
    July 21st, 2008 17:17

Hey there!
    Love the garden- Jag ar jatte avensjuk! :) My herb garden has to battle the Irish summer in order to grow!

17. Veggie Mom
    July 21st, 2008 18:20

BTW, I’m hosting another Great Pop’rs Giveaway. Come on over to my place and help Aunt Julie plan the rehearsal dinner for Big Bear and Little Red. It’ll be lots of fun!

July 21st, 2008 19:47

Courtney: Thank you!!! It’s so relaxing growing vegetables :-)

Diva: Wow! Papayas? I would love to have some papaya and mango trees in the garden but it’s way too cold here.

Pille: Mine is also “Sugar Baby”, I’m glad to hear that they grew so well for you. We’ll see if I’ll be as lucky or not.

Rita: Thank you so much. I have herbs as well and also other vegetables that I’ll post about soon. I will contintue to have plants in containers and pots as I have a very rocky garden, so it’s very hard to plant anything in the ground. I’m so glad to hear that you’ve started your own blog!

Kalyn: Better to start with small plants than not having any tomatoes at all! :-)

Belen: thank you!!

Foodycat: Thank you!

Dorota: Bardzo dzienkuje!

VeggieMom: Thank you for the compliments. I’m sure your garden will be great as well.

Marina: The recipe of yummies/Snoddas in my blog is the “official” one from the Swedish cookie recipe book “Swedish cakes and cookies”. They always have a bit coffee in the frosting. Maybe the ones you tried were a bit different?

Liska: Dzieki!! Zobaczymy czy starcza na konfiturki :-)

jasmine: Good luck with your garden next year!!

Ms____2be: Thanks!

Y: You need to talk with them ( just kidding) :-)

Moria: Tack så mycket. Det finns mer i trädgården :-)

Donal: Thank you. I hope you’ll manage the Irish summer so you’ll get a lot of herbs.

19. Donal
    July 22nd, 2008 18:10

I’ll do my best- but maybe I should take your tips and talk to them! ;)

July 23rd, 2008 15:04

Donal: Do that, and please report back :-)