Cats and ice cream in Rome

The cat sanctuary at Torre Argentina. Note the similarities between the sleepy Roman cat and Bowser in the header of my page.

There were two places we visited every day when in Rome with my mother. The first place was the cat sanctuary where volunteers take care of abandoned cats. The personel is very friendly and very keen to show you around. Most of the cats live outside in the ruins, but there is also a shelter inside for cats in need of extra care. We visited the room where they keep cats in need of extra special care and we came out with tears in our eyes after meeting a brain damaged cat and one without any eyes. Please make sure to visit them and leave a donation when in Rome.

The other place that we accidentally passed by every day was Giolitti to eat their delicious ice cream…

The cat sanctuary at Torre Argentina

Forum Romanum.

Forum Romanum

Somewhere in Trastevere.

Giolitti

Giolitti

Giolitti

Giolitti

8 Responses to “Cats and ice cream in Rome”

1. Bea
    May 9th, 2008 18:06

Beautiful cats! Beautiful ice cream! I should make some this weekend ;)

2. karin
    May 9th, 2008 20:41

I used to visit Torre Argentina when I used to go to Rome. The staff do a wonderful job with the cats.

3. diva
    May 9th, 2008 20:44

i love cats and i can’t live without ice cream. this post got me hooked! great pictures.

4. Dagmar (cibercuoca)
    May 10th, 2008 05:55

Icecream, slurp

5. Mar
    May 10th, 2008 12:43

Oh, my! I took the same photograph in Trastevere for my blog… but I missed the cats. Anyway, this post has prompted me to say hello and thanks after lurking for a while.

6. DaviMack
    May 10th, 2008 14:55

The sign about the tourist menu is a bit confusing … and meant to be ironic, hopefully?

7. Karen
    May 11th, 2008 12:44

One of my favorite things about Rome: plenty of kitties and even more ice cream. Gelato is the most amazing thing on earth– I’ve never eaten any better ice cream and probably never will.

I actually didn’t like Rome much at all. But I’d go back just for the ice cream!!

-Karen

8. Debs
    May 14th, 2008 01:50

My first time visiting your blog, and you have pictures of cats AND gelato in the same post! I suppose that’s likely given the name, but it still makes me happy.

Debs