Lemon sorbet

Lemon sorbet in lemon-poppy seed cookie cups (for the cookie cup recipe please refer to one of my favourite cook books: “The Perfect Scoop” by David Lebovitz).

This is a simple and very refreshing lemon sorbet, not to forget a cheap one for those on a budget. It’s one of my favourite recipes that I often come back to. The recipe is from the pamplet that followed with the ice cream maker when it was bought around 15 years ago (!).

I know that adding a raw egg white to ice cream may sound crazy, especially in countries with high numbers of Salmonella contaminated eggs, so omit it if you’re in one of thoose countries. However the sorbet will not be as creamy and fluffy without the whipped egg white. Luckily for me Sweden has one of the lowest Salmonella infection rates and it’s very uncommon with contaminated Swedish eggs.

Lemon sorbet
(requires an ice cream maker)

300 ml water
150 ml caster sugar
150 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 egg white, whipped

Bring water and caster sugar to boil and let simmer for 2 minutes. Let cool. Add lemon juice and put the mixture in the fridge until completely cool. Add the whipped egg white, don’t worry about the lumps, pour into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. When the sorbet is firm and done, scoop it out and let rest in the freezer until it’s time to serve. Don’t keep the sorbet in the freezer for more than 24 hours as it will loose it’s creaminess.

15 Responses to “Lemon sorbet”

1. emily
    May 5th, 2008 00:12

Mmmm! I have always been partial to the old lemon sorbet and a delicious ice-cream cup… I will definitely have to try this; only I don’t have an ice-cream maker – but I find it is still achievable using the old in-out of the freezer method. Can I just say it is a joy and delight reading your blog each week; thank you!

2. Courtney
    May 5th, 2008 02:11

How lovely and refreshing!

3. Anne
    May 5th, 2008 06:50

Yum – that was one of the best sorbets I’ve ever had! I will definitely be making it this summer – maybe with other citrus fruits, as well :)

4. foodycat
    May 5th, 2008 12:09

Yum! One of my favourite desserts, and an excellent excuse to buy the icecream maker that I have had my eye on!

5. Sheryl
    May 5th, 2008 13:10

Delicious! It looks very refreshing, it’s gonna be perfect for a summer snack!

6. Bea
    May 5th, 2008 17:10

Yes, really lovely and refreshing!

7. diva
    May 5th, 2008 23:50

the lemon sorbet looks divine and that’s just come at the right time now that the weather’s picking up. but you got me there with those poppy seed cookie cups :) x

8. Scott at Realepicurean
    May 6th, 2008 19:36

I love lemon sorbet. Thanks for a great, simple recipe!

Oh, and I’m likely to die eating English eggs raw :)

9. Tartelette
    May 7th, 2008 02:18

Looks wonderfully refreshing! I love the cookie cups!

10. chumpman
    February 16th, 2009 09:55

Love sorbet rather than ice cream. Lemon sorbet is so refreshing, the sweet and sour taste of rapsberry sorbet is perfect after you really pamper your stomach with a bit too much good food.

11. alberta
    May 15th, 2009 17:07

I have a question about the Lemon Poppyseed cookie cup recipe. I’m making it now. It calls for dishing out 4T. of batter. I think that it’s more like 2T. of batter because otherwise the disk is bigger than the prescribed 2″. I’d love your input!

May 17th, 2009 21:03

Alberta: I can’t remember exactly, but I do know that I either dished out more or less than the recipe calls for. I definitly didn’t dish out 4 tablespoons.

13. Paul
    February 21st, 2010 04:51

OMG my mouth is watering, thanks for this recipe!
    I haven’t seen anything like that poppyseed cookie cup before, is it possible to get a copy of it?