Mini pizzas with mozzarella and kabanos

Kabanos is the most wonderful Polish sausage. The smoky sausage is thin and long and it’s best when really dried. After I’ve bought some I usually let it hang in the kitchen to dry even more. Normally we just eat it as a snack to wine or beer, but I love to use it when making these lovely mini pizzas.

Mini pizzas with mozzarella and kabanos
Makes 10

Pizza dough:
250 gram flour (I’ve done this with both normal flour and tipo 00, both works fine)
200 ml luke warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch of Maldon sea salt
25 gram yeast

around 200-250 gram mozzarella, sliced
3-4 kabanos sausages, sliced
10 cherry tomatoes
1 small red onion, sliced
0.5 jar of ready made pasta sauce with tomatoes and chili (for example Barilla or Zeta)

In the bowl of your mixer (like a Kenwood or KitchenAid), combine water and yeast with the dough hook. Make sure the yeast is completely dissolved and then at a low speed, add salt, olive oil and the flour. Let the machine knead the dough for 5-7 minutes until smooth. If needed add more flour. Remove the dough hook, cover with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.

Put baking paper on two baking sheets. Divide the dough in half and make 5 small pizzas of each part. As they are so small I just sprinkle some flour on them and flatten them directly on the baking sheet.

Spread 2 tsp of pasta sauce on each pizza. Divide the cheese equally over all pizzas, then the sliced sausages, onion and at last the tomatoes. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, 220 degrees C (convection oven). Sprinkle Maldon sea salt and serve directly.

12 Responses to “Mini pizzas with mozzarella and kabanos”

1. Linda
    May 2nd, 2008 03:11

We call it kabana in Australia. I always wondered why I couldn’t find recipes for it until recently when I found out its other name.

2. Courtney
    May 2nd, 2008 05:33

This sausage is new to me. Thats a tasty looking snack.

3. Foodycat
    May 2nd, 2008 14:25

I love kabanos as a snack so much I don’t know that it would ever make it to the pizzas! Do you use fresh yeast?

4. Meeta
    May 3rd, 2008 12:15

i love kabanos – smoky and full of flavor. a lovely idea using them on the pizza!

5. Liska
    May 4th, 2008 09:14

Zawsze mnie cieszył fakt, że każde jedzenie podane w wersji mini wygląda tak ładnie :)

May 4th, 2008 21:33

Linda: Thanks, I wasn’t aware about it!

Courtney: If you’ll find it you need to try it!

Foodycat: I’ve used both fresh yeast and dry for this recipe, and both works fine.

Liska: Wszysto co mini to smakuje i wyglada o wiele lepiej :-)

7. Sarah Rojers
    May 4th, 2008 22:14

I have never heard of Kabanos since I found this site but looks like you have a great recipe using them. I think these will make a good side dish for my housewarming party,

8. Cate O'Malley
    May 7th, 2008 04:53

Never heard of kabanos before, but the pizza looks delicious!

9. Once...
    December 24th, 2008 10:41

… I bought a kilogram of kabanos’ for X-mas for my sister. In the lovely colourful bag folded sausages were hiding a delicate piece of jewelery. I’d swear she was more happy with the treat! :D

10. Yurena
    October 4th, 2009 01:47

Kabanos, delicious! Our Polish teacher Beata always brought that to celebrate the end of exams; that evening was always the highlight for the semester ;) Wish they sold it in supermarkets abroad,I have never found them here in Spain now that I am back home.
    Fabulous blog!