Chocolate cake with yellow beets

This week I received yellow beets in my organic vegetable box. I was thrilled and thought about making a yellow beet soup, until I found a recipe for chocolate cake with yellow beets. And as I felt I needed to follow my Garfield quote in the blog header I promptly decided to make the cake instead. And as a matter of fact I still have 500 grams of yellow beets left, which I can use for something else (soup, beets with chèvre, yellow beet cookies?).

I decided to decrease the sugar amount in the original recipe from 400 gram to 300 gram and I also omitted to pre-boil the beets before grating them as I didn’t want all vitamines to evaporate by first boiling and then baking them. To make the cake look prettier I put some walnuts on top of the chocolate glaze. My husband was confused when I served the cake, beets and chocolate? It is in fact a very good combination as the beets are sweet and make the cake moist, but the cake has a distinct beet flavour and if you don’t like carrot cakes you won’t like this one as the amount of vegetables is high. But if you like those kinds of cakes you’ll definitly like this one.

If you don’t have yellow beets you can substitute them with red ones. The differences (that I know about) are that the yellow ones are sweeter and that they don’t bleed when you slice them. And who doesn’t like the beautiful sunny yellow colour now during winter? The colour is so pretty that it makes you smile when grating the beets.

Grated yellow beets.

Chocolate cake with yellow beets
    (adapted from Ica-Kuriren)

Cake:
    3 eggs
    300 g caster sugar
    125 ml canola oil
    1 tsp vanilla sugar
    300 ml flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 pinch of salt
    150 g dark chocolate
    400 g yellow beets

Butter and bread crumbs for the pan

Glaze:
    100 ml cream
    100 g dark chocolate

Walnuts for decoration

Butter and bread the pan (~1.5 litre). Peel and grate the beets. Melt the chocolate in the microwave.

Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric beater until fluffy and white. Fold in oil, vanilla sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add melted chocolate and grated yellow beets.

Pour the batter into the pan. Bake in 175 degrees C for 40-60 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean. On the otherhand you want the cake moist so don’t keep it in the oven too long.

Un-mold the cake and let it cool.

Bring the cream to boil, then add the chocolate. Stir until combined. Spread glaze over the top of the cake and let it stiffen in the fridge.

19 Responses to “Chocolate cake with yellow beets”

1. Courtney
    January 27th, 2008 19:16

Wow. Interesting combo. Glad to see you posting again, Its been quiet with the pasthoildays, etc.

2. Christina
    January 27th, 2008 19:26

That is one pretty cake! Looks very moist and I’m sure, easy to eat. Yellow beets, however — can’t say I’ve had that before. Got to look for them. Do they taste the same as red? I love red beets, so …

January 27th, 2008 20:25

What a pretty-looking cake! I’m all for using beets in a cake – I’ve tried one with ginger and another with cocoa so far, and both were lovely. The only sad thing is that I cannot find yellow beets anywhere :(

4. sher
    January 28th, 2008 10:10

How wonderful! it looks fabulous, and the beets would make it a very special cake indeed. Moist and healthy.

5. Meeta
    January 28th, 2008 18:14

Gorgeous looking cake. I find it quite intriguing the way you used beets here. Something to try for sure1

6. Cakelaw
    January 29th, 2008 04:38

What a great looking cake – and I love beets!

7. crescent rolls
    January 30th, 2008 06:16

My sister makes a yummy chocolate beetroot bread (quick bread – like banana bread). I’m glad that your beet cake turned out good!

8. Naomi
    January 30th, 2008 12:23

I was just thinking about making a red beet chocolate cake! I have never seen yellow beets at all. Will look out for them now.

February 2nd, 2008 15:43

Christina: Yellow beets taste almost the same as red ones, except for the fact that they are sweeter.

Pille: I’m sorry to hear that you can’t find yellow beets. But the red ones are very pretty too!

A big thanks to the rest of you for you kind comments!!

10. Scott at Realepicurean
    February 5th, 2008 00:06

Something I’ve never tried, yellow beets. I’m determined to grow my own beetroot this year, though.

February 5th, 2008 00:31

Scott: Wow, your own beetroots! I’m in envy :-) I hope they’ll grow nicely!

12. Naomi
    February 14th, 2008 22:09

Hey Dagmar, whilst working on my red beet cake I found that roasting the beets in slices and then puree-ing seems to increase the sweet caramel flavour and decrease the earthiness. My first attempt with grated raw beets was scoffed by me and sniffed at by everyone else!

I also made a bread with toasted hazelnuts and roast parsnips that is just delicious!

x x x

February 17th, 2008 19:24

Naomi: Thanks for the tip. I’ll make sure to try it next time.
    Your bread sounds great!

14. Sheri Wetherell
    February 29th, 2008 19:05

This sounds DIVINE!!!

15. Malin
    March 2nd, 2008 14:46

Den här kakan ser ju helt underbart god ut. Måste prova någon gång!
    Såg att du hade en sån grönsakslåda från årstiderna. Jag har funderat på att beställa. Är du nöjd? Levererar dem hem till dig eller hur fungerar det?
    Kram kram

16. Fearless Kitchen
    March 28th, 2008 18:41

This looks great. My husband is very fond of beets so I’m always trying to find some way of making them palatable to me, and I think that this would certainly do the job… I’d bet it would be a great way to sneak more vegetables into a finicky child’s diet as well!

17. Kali
    July 21st, 2008 03:35

What a great way to disguise vegetable for kids! Thanks for posting.

18. Homemade cakes
    December 15th, 2008 16:04

Nice post i like it, keep it up.
    Find more at