Chocolate muffins with chocolate chunks

This it THE chocolate muffin recipe or at least has been for the last few years until I’ll find or make up a better one. What even makes these muffins better are the chunks of your favourite chocolate that you’re supposed to stick in before baking. This time I made some with white chocolate, some with dark chocolate and the final ones with milk chocolate containing Nonstop (the Swedish equivalent to Smarties). The muffins are quite sweet, even though I’ve decreased the original amount of sugar, but they go perfect with a glass of milk. They have a rich taste of chocolate and are lovely and moist.

Chocolate muffins with chocolate chunks
    (adapted from Chokladfabriken by Annika Edestrand and Helena Annerén Ullstrand .
    Results in 12-14 medium sized muffins, ie not the large American ones)

200 g butter, at a roomtemperature
    300 g (350 ml) caster sugar
    200 g (4) eggs
    1 tsp (3 g) vanilla sugar
    1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
    70 g (175 ml) cocoa, unsweetened
    180 g (300 ml) flour
    Your favourite chocolate, in bite size chunks

In a bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric beater. Add the eggs, one at a time while beating. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then fold into the egg/butter/sugar bowl. Spoon the tough and sticky batter into paper molds. Stick chocolate chunks into each muffin. Bake in 190°C for 10–15 minutes. Make sure not to overbake, you want moist and not dry muffins.

8 Responses to “Chocolate muffins with chocolate chunks”

1. PHILO
    January 26th, 2008 14:44

Super appétissant !

2. Tablebread
    January 26th, 2008 16:07

Someone speaks Deutsch ;) These look wonderful! Great job! I like the part where you can use any chocolate that you want. Great touch!

3. Sean
    January 26th, 2008 21:08

They look lovely, I’ll have to make these soon. I was afraid for a second when you said “Smarties”, but I’m in the US, where Smarties are *very* different from the ones in Europe.
    I think I’ll try them with chocolate with bits of toffee. :)

4. Gloria
    January 27th, 2008 00:29

Love this recipe!! Gloria

5. Dharm
    January 27th, 2008 15:06

Oh my Oh Wow! This looks just great. I think I have to try these sometime with some dark chocolate bits…!! Super stuff Dagmar!

January 27th, 2008 16:49

philo: Merci!

tablebread: Thanks :-)

Sean: Mmm, it sounds great with chocolate with bits of toffee…

Gloria: It is great, you should try it :-)

Dharm: Thanks! I prefer them with dark chocolate bits, my husband prefers the ones with white chocolate (which is odd as he normally doesn’t like white chocolate that much ).

7. Magda
    April 8th, 2012 12:25

To moje pierwsze udane muffiny, nie z gotowej torebki:) oznacza to, ze bede kontynuowac kuchenne zmagania! Dziekuje za przepis, swietna stronka, widze ze jestes na poziomie master, dzieki za inspiracje!!
    P.s. Twoj maz to ma z Toba dobrze :)
    Pozdrowienia z Belgii