Sałatka Jarzynowa

One dish that is always served at my family for any of the holidays is a Polish mayonnaise based vegetable salad, sałatka jarzynowa. It goes very well with the rest of the mandatory Polish dishes served during Christmas, Easter and other important occasions. Every family has their own recipe, but the common ingredients are diced potatoes, eggs, carrots and mayonnaise. This kind of salad with diced vegetables bound in mayonnaise can be found in many countries with various names and a bit different ingredients. The most common name is Russian salad, even though the original recipe contained lobster and truffles and differs a lot from today’s version. But the most important thing isn’t the origin or name, but the taste!

Sałatka Jarzynowa

4 large potatoes, boiled with their skin on and then peeled
    2 red onions
    6 eggs, hard boiled
    3 large carrots, boiled
    250 gram green peas, boiled or from can
    200 gram fermented cucumbers
    350 ml mayonnaise
    salt
    pepper
    optional: 1 tbsp of grated horseradish
    optional: a handful of grated cheese

Dice potatoes, eggs, carrots and cucumbers. Finely dice the onions. Combine the diced ingredients in a bowl and add peas. Add mayonnaise and combine everything. Salt and pepper to taste. Add grated horsradish and/or cheese if wanted. Cover with cling film and keep in the fridge. May be prepared one day in advance for a better taste.

17 Responses to “Sałatka Jarzynowa”

December 24th, 2007 13:14

That looks a lot like kartulisalat or Estonian potato salad:) It’s the same here – every family has their own definite version. We don’t add horseradish or cheese to our salad in Estonia, but other ingredients all feature. In my family we omit carrots (although my paternal grandma add them) and peas. And we mix mayo and sour cream for the dressing.

December 24th, 2007 13:15

Forgot to add that potato salad features traditionally on every birthday table:)
    And happy holidays to you and your husband, dear Dagmar!!

December 24th, 2007 14:14

Pille: Thank you! You too!!
    Normaly I don’t like peas and carrots in salad, but in this one it’s fine. Mixing mayo and sour cream sounds like a good and also healthier alternative!

4. joey
    December 26th, 2007 13:31

My grandmother makes a Russian salad every year…her’s has beets :)

5. awoz
    December 28th, 2007 22:17

It’s a must on our christmas table too:)
    Happy holidays! Wesołych Świąt

6. Hanicka
    December 30th, 2007 11:49

Here in the Czech Rep., we call it “potato salad” (short and simple) and always eat it on Christmas Eve as a side dish to fish fillets (usually carp) fried in breadcrumbs… Like Estonians, however, we do not put cheese or peas in it. We mix boiled potatoes, pickled cucumbers, cooked carrots, parsley and celery, season with salt and pepper and add some light mayo. Yum :o)

7. Nilo
    January 6th, 2008 14:42

We’ve got a version of this in Iran as well, except we’ve got boiled chicken in it as well :D But no cheese/carrots and insted some olives.

January 6th, 2008 22:13

Joey, Awoz, Hanicka and Nilo: Thanks for sharing! It’s always really fun to hear about other countries and their food!

9. Tusia
    February 13th, 2008 02:22

If you add 2or3 sweet appels ,1 can of sweet corn and 3tbsp of mustardt sałatka jarzynowa will be more light, and tasted better:)

February 13th, 2008 23:36

Tusia: I don’t like apples in my salatka :-( But it is a great idea, especially the corn and mustard! Thanks!

11. Arael
    February 15th, 2008 18:39

Although it’s a good idea to let it lie for a few hours, it tends to lose some of the flavor by next day. Delicious with ham or hard-boiled eggs. Also the addition of some celery might help. The peas are absolutely mandatory – though they can be replaced by beans for some variety (don’t know the name, the small white kind)

February 17th, 2008 19:21

Araei: I’ve never tried it with celery but I’ll try that next time. The funny thing is that I don’t really like peas except for when they are in this salad :-)

13. Monia
    August 8th, 2008 17:06

Well hello, I live in Poland and what you surely need in “sałatka jarzynowa” is: hard-boiled eggs, potatoes, carrots, selery root, onion (not boiled of course :-) “ogórki kiszone” – special cucumbers which are some kind of rotten (you put small cucumbers into jars with garlic,horse radish,dill and some salt, pour with boiling water and close the jar -after some time they get a sour taste, delicious! And definetly very healthy!), well not exactly, but I can’t find the exact words in English for them ;-). Those cucumbers and onions sharpen the taste of the cooked vegetable and eggs which are a bit dull on their own. There’s also salt and pepper, how much you like. Try making the salad with those ingredients!
    In my family we don’t add peas or apples :-) it’s my favourite salad from childhood till now on non-stop, hehehe.
    Of course the original recipe has only mayo in it, but nowadays many cooks add it with sour cream or even jogurt, so the derssing is not so heavy. You know: healthy food :)
    Besides i think that the salad is best when it’s made in the evening and eaten next day…mmhmmm…I got a bit hungry :)
    Good day to you all!

14. fornetti
    August 31st, 2008 14:48

I do not believe this

15. Exactlly...
    December 24th, 2008 10:58

… a traditional salad, served on occasions we had broth (rosół) and kurczak w potrawce. :) I wonder… I wonder, why would the always come together?? :D:D

16. Iza
    February 28th, 2009 14:23

I’m polish. I always use potatoes, carrots, sour gherkins (cucumbers), eggs, onion, peas and also sweetcorn ( i wd add it to everything if possible) and mayo, ofcourse. x