Pineapple cake or How does Moomin taste?

Two weeks ago I was in Finland for the first time ever, and even though I was only there for a short business trip I still managed to locate the official Moomin shop in Helsinki for some shopping. One of the things I bought was this Moomin cake mold, and if you like the Moomin cookie cutters and this mold you should make sure to come back here in mid December :-) Before using the mold for the first time I thought a lot about what Moomin would taste like. I know that it sounds bizarre, you shouldn’t eat sweet and kind Moomin, but still… I think that he has a white hard cover, with a chocolate interior. Or maybe coconut flavour. Or maybe as simple as cardamom. I finally decided that my first soft Moomin cake would be pinapple flavoured and it came out very moist and juicy. Not too sweet and perfect to tea or milk. And of course you can make this cake in another mold, just use a small one that fits 400 ml.

When speaking about Helsinki, I want to at least mention the newly opened restaurant Grotesk where we went after a tip from F’s colleague at work. Grotesk was founded by the top chefs Tommi and Teemu of Demo (a Michelin star restaurant) with the goal to serve top food to mid prices. I can just say that the food was fantastic and I enjoyed it a lot even though our waiter was a bit rude, still very polite though. If you’re passing by Helsinki, don’t miss Grotesk.

On this photo you can see the juicy pineapple pieces.

Moist and juicy small pineapple cake
    (makes one small cake, use a 400 ml mold)

3 tbsp vanilla infused caster sugar
    1 egg
    150 ml plain flour
    50 gram butter, melted
    0.5 tsp baking soda
    100 ml (about 90-100 gram) well drained crushed pineapple from can

icing sugar to powder on the cake before serving.

Beat the egg and sugar with an electric beater until white and fluffy. Fold in the melted butter. Fold in the flour and baking soda. Finally add the pineapple and combine. Pour the thick batter in a buttered mold. Bake in the oven in 170 degrees C for about 20-23 minutes, until a tooth pick comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the mold for 10 minutes. Take it out and powder with icing sugar.

14 Responses to “Pineapple cake or How does Moomin taste?”

November 18th, 2007 20:20

I am sooo going to visit that shop on my next trip over to Helsinki (hopefully before Xmas!)
    What a lovely cake!

2. fanny
    November 18th, 2007 21:59

Oh the moomins. Favourite show ever.
    Finland sounds like a lovely place.
    - fanny

3. Nabeela
    November 18th, 2007 23:25

If only you had posted this a few days earler. my pineapple would have gone into this cake instead of being squuezed for juice :)

4. Matleena
    November 19th, 2007 10:13

Pineapple! That’s very exotic for a Finnish Moomin. :D
    I think he would taste like bilberries and cardamom. Or maybe even cloudberries… But I’m sure your Moomin was delicious!

5. Tartelette
    November 21st, 2007 01:14

That the kid of cake I love to have around for tea time or snacking. Beautiful!

6. Nora
    November 24th, 2007 02:22

Hi Dagmar,
    Cute cake mold. The cake looks so moist on top. I love pineapples in cakes. Like this one:
    topsy-turvy-cinnamon-cake-with.html

p.s: I mentioned your cold beetroot soup two posts ago. Thanks for that recipe :-)

Nora

7. maria
    November 24th, 2007 10:21

Hittade nyligen till din blogg och har tittat runt här på nästan varje månad. Fint, och mycket gott :-)

8. Frapp
    November 24th, 2007 14:51

Pineapple cake? Never tried anything like that before! Must put it down on my to-do list, I love cake and I love pineapple so why not the two together? Love the blog, added you to my favourites =)

November 26th, 2007 11:46

Pille: Or just keep an eye on your mailbox :-)

Fanny: I can’t really remember the show, but I loved the books.

Nabeela: Juice is great as well :-)

Matleena: Yes, definitly an exotic moomin!

Tartelette: Thanks!

Nora: Hi! Mmm, looks yummy!! Thanks!

Maria: Hej och välkommen!!! Tack!

Frapp: Welcome and thanks! Pineapple adds a nice moisture to the cake, really recommended.

10. joey
    November 27th, 2007 17:27

Oh my goodness! I love Moomins! And I have baked a cake in exactly the same mold here!

I must go back to Finland one day :) It’s a lovely place :)

11. Nina Willis
    March 8th, 2010 18:26

Does anyone know of a pineapple upside downcake recipe from Finland? I had it several times at the home of a woman from Finland – best I ever tasted. She gave me the recipe and I lost it. Now she has died. It was the most moist white cake ever and there were no red cherries in this recipe. It called for crushed pineapple, cinnamon and sugar butter streusal on the bottom of a buttered glass dish, then the white cake, then bake, then frost with the most amazing whipped topping. I just wish I could find that recipe. If you have that recipe please share with Nina at nswillis@comcast.net Thank you!