Bilberry muffins

In school I learnt that blueberries is the English word for blåbär. It was not until quite recently, after reading some food blogs and posts with recipes, that I realized that it was all wrong. Suddenly it came to my knowledge that our Swedish blueberries that I love to pick are actually bilberries! The problem is linguistic; for some reason both blueberries and bilberries translates to the Swedish word blåbär. To separate the different berries from each other the ones called blueberries are often called American blueberries (amerikanska blåbär) or even garden blueberries sometimes. Both berries are blue, but the blueberry has a white interior and tastes a bit sweet while the bilberry is completely blue with fairly acidic flavour and smells of forest. To make it even more confusing there’s also a variant called bog bilberry.

To choose my favourite berry between blueberries and bilberries is easy. I love bilberries, directly from a bilberry bush during a walk in the forest or in a luke warm pie served with vanilla custard. They are also great in simple muffins, like these ones that I quickly made for breakfast on our first wedding anniversary a couple of weeks ago.

Bilberry muffins
    (makes 6 large ones)

100 gram butter
    125 caster sugar (infused with vanilla)
    2 eggs
    250 ml flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    zest from 0.5 lemon
    50 ml thick greek yoghurt
    200 ml bilberries

Preheat the oven to either 200 degrees C (ordinary oven) or 175 degrees C (fan oven).

In a bowl, beat butter and sugar with en electric mixer until white and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, while beating. Add lemon zest, flour and baking soda. Combine. Add the bilberries and combine.

Fill muffin molds up to 3/4 with the help of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your molds. Just make sure they won’t get too dry as you want moist and nice muffins.

If you want to you can pour some fondant glaze over the muffins, which you make of icing sugar combined with a small amount of water. I really like the strawberry flavoured icing sugar, so I tend to use that one.

15 Responses to “Bilberry muffins”

1. $ha
    September 20th, 2007 18:10

So girly! A real temptation!

2. Aurélie
    September 20th, 2007 18:58

your muffins are gorgeous!! especially with that pink glaze! you’re so lucky to find strawberry flavoured icing sugar! this must be really yummy!

3. Lisanka
    September 20th, 2007 19:11

La grande classe ces muffins!

4. Lauriana
    September 20th, 2007 19:57

Les photos sont époustouflantes!

5. hilde
    September 20th, 2007 20:17

Magnifiques muffins!!! je reste sans voix…

September 20th, 2007 20:49

Lovely girly muffins indeed! And yes, that blueberry/bilberry thing is confusing – I only realised the complexity of these berries earlier this summer :)

7. Meeta
    September 21st, 2007 08:04

SImply gorgeous Dagmar. I love the ways these look so moist! Also the topping is too cute. Wish you could send me one of those – instead of biting me on Facebook all the time ! hahahaha!

September 22nd, 2007 21:02

Thanks for all sweet compliments!

Pille: It’s terrible confusing but I guess that the most important thing is that we know now :-)

Meeta: Thanks! Haha, I’m sorry. It’s all Ilva’s fault, her werewolf is super strong and I new to become strong as well so that I’ll manage all her attacks! :-) *lol*

9. awoz
    September 22nd, 2007 22:59

The picture is superb and the recipe very tempting.I am fond of blueberries , unfortunately I can’t get some bilberry arround here….

10. Renathe
    October 8th, 2007 20:38

I didn’t know this, thanks for sharing, Dagmar! And your muffins look great. :-)

11. Emma
    March 22nd, 2008 18:21

These look exactly like my all time favourite muffins! We get them every summer from a local farmers market and they are just amazing – though theirs are raspberry, blueberry and strawberry, as far as I know – they just call them summer berry so Im assuming its the traditional!
    This is great I haven’t found a recipe that even resembles them but these look absolutely PERFECT!! Im so excited to try them out! Thank you!

12. michelle @ the smackdown
    March 23rd, 2008 03:45

those are so delightfully pink! i have no idea what a bilberry is, but that’s a tasty looking muffin.

13. miumiu
    November 24th, 2008 17:42

Huh, I’ve been living under the same misconception about our Scandinavian blueberries being blueberries. Thank you so much for clearing this out for me :) PS. The muffins look mighty fine, too!

14. MJ
    October 17th, 2009 17:49

I hit “random” on tastespotting and your muffins were one of the first things to come up. I thought “Bilberry? Perhaps this is a non-English speaking blog and she’s got the wrong word.”

HOW WONDERFUL to see that you are Swedish and I’m learning about Swedish food and perhaps culture! I’m half-Swedish and my father (the Swede) is totally unhelpful about his grandparents’ homeland.

Thank you so much for contributing to my knowledge of Sweden! I’m going to poke around your blog a bit more. :)