Chanterelle toast

Autumn is officially here, the evenings become darker much quicker and the air is crisp and cold. I’m already wearing my autumn jacket and soon it will be time for gloves and cap. Autumn is mushroom season and since I’ve moved to Stockholm I havn’t been out picking any as I don’t feel confident without my parents (I have a tendency to pick poisonous ones…). Therefore I’m glad that the markets and grocery stores have loads of those delicious treats. This chanterelle toast is super easy to prepare and it’s perfect for a quick dinner when you come home tired after work. Serve it with a store bought soup, some of them are really nice.

Chanterelle toast
    (makes 2)

2 slices of bread
    200 gram chanterelles
    2 shallots
    Maldon sea salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    butter

Brush away all dirt from the chanterelles. Tear them in small parts. Chop the shallots. Fry the chanterelles with the shallots in butter until cooked and a bit crispy. Salt and pepper.
    Toast the bread, butter and divide the chanterelles evenly between the two slices. Serve with soup.

9 Responses to “Chanterelle toast”

1. Deborah
    September 13th, 2007 20:57

This sounds wonderful! I love mushrooms, but never thought to have them on toast.

2. Fabienne
    September 13th, 2007 22:43

Quelle belle tartine !

September 14th, 2007 09:25

That’s my favourite way with chantarelles, too – sometimes I don’t even add onions – just butter, mushrooms, salt and herbs..

4. connie
    September 14th, 2007 20:10

oh my! yes, don’t pick the poisonous ones! and i too love this time of year for all the warm and comforting mushroom dishes

5. Pat
    September 15th, 2007 10:31

Lovely recipe!!!! Yummy!!!

6. Tesse
    September 15th, 2007 11:26

Men åh! Du får hänga på mig & Danne ut i skogen! Karl Johan och kantareller i olika former har vi koll på. Mer än så behövs inte ;) Vart himla sugen på att åka ut till Värmdö på en gång och traska runt i skogen för att se om det finns nåt kul där ute =)

Hoppas allt är bra med dig, Fredrik och katterna!

September 15th, 2007 18:01

Deborah: It both delicious and easy!

Fabienne: Merci!

Pille: I’ve never tried to omit the onions but next time I’ll try that, and also add some herbs!

Connie: I try to stay away from the woods! :-)

Pat: Yummy and super easy!

Tesse: Å, det låter nice. Jag känner igen Karl Johan, men vad gäller trattisar och sånt så är jag hopplös. Senast jag plockade trattkantareller så plockade jag de giftiga men som tur var så visste mitt sällskap om det :-) Allt bra här, hoppas att det nygifta paret mår bra! :-)

8. musicalchef
    September 21st, 2007 13:14

That looks absolutely delicious! I’m living in Jordan right now and mushrooms are hard to find. I think it’s too dry for them. That mushroom cake is adorable!

September 22nd, 2007 21:06

Musicalchef: Thanks!!! Maybe you can buy dried mushrooms intead? They are perfect for stews. Thanks!