Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream

The strawberry season is slowly ending or has ended in many countries, but thanks to this year’s cold summer there are still plenty of strawberries to buy here in Sweden. Regardless if your only making one strawberry recipe this summer or if the strawberry season is near it’s end or if you’re baking all sorts of strawberry recipes all the time, you really must try this recipe from David Lebovitz’s amazing ice cream book The Perfect Scoop. I know that a lot of food bloggers are cheering and writing super positive posts about the book but it is really that good. Buy it now, you won’t regret it. I don’t think that I’ve ever made so many recipes from the same cookbook and furthermore they are all delicious.

When I first saw this recipe I was slightly uncertain of the sour cream and thought that it couldn’t possibly go well with the strawberries. But it did and does. The flavours marry wonderfully and result in the very best strawberry ice cream ever. The alcohol prevents the ice cream from freezing to a hard ice block if you keep it in the freezer, that is if you’ll have anything left after tasting and eating the freshly churned ice cream.

Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream
    (David Lebovitz, The Perfect Scoop. Makes about 1.2 litres of perfect tasting ice cream)

450 gram fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
    150 gram sugar
    1 tablespoon vodka or kirsch
    240 gram sour cream (almost a whole package of gräddfil)
    250 ml heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Slice the strawberries and toss them in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch, stirring until the sugar begins to dissolve. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring every so often.

Pulse the strawberries and their liquid with the sour cream, heavy cream, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor until almost smooth but still slightly chunky.

Refrigerate for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

20 Responses to “Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream”

1. Seima
    August 1st, 2007 14:49

Dagmar, in few days your blog became one of my favourite :) The ice cream looks delicious, I love the colour.

2. Lisanka
    August 1st, 2007 15:21

Elle est superbe cette glace!

3. leonine19
    August 1st, 2007 15:44

hmmmm, yum yum!

4. matylda
    August 1st, 2007 17:03

j’en mangerais bien une boule ou 2 pour lz goûter!!

5. Deborah
    August 1st, 2007 17:39

I agree – that cookbook is the best! I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but I want to next year when strawberries are back in season here.

August 1st, 2007 18:04

Another one to try!!! Sour cream is popular here, so sour cream ice cream would be fun to try!

7. maia
    August 1st, 2007 18:31

oh yes, that one is super! it is one of my favorites from the book, and i’ve made plenty of them :) the sour cream gives the ice cream a slight tartness which is absolutely perfect. it’s almost leaning towards a yogurt, except deliciously rich. mmmm. too bad strawberry season is done here :(

8. Dolores
    August 1st, 2007 20:16

Strawberry ice cream brings back such vivid childhood memories for me. I’ve paged through David’s book and found myself overwhelmed with the variety, unsure where to start. Thanks for pointing this one out!

9. Meeta
    August 1st, 2007 21:29

Oh I love David’S book and have been going quite crazy with it myself. However, it looks like this one slipped me. It looks incredible. Nice one!

10. Megan
    August 2nd, 2007 05:09

I stumbled upon your blog while browsing through the Daring Bakers blogroll, and just wanted to tell you how enjoyable it is. Your photos are beautiful, your recipes are interesting and ambitious, and your cats are adorable!

11. Patricia Scarpin
    August 2nd, 2007 19:55

The ice cream looks divine and the cups are beautiful!

August 3rd, 2007 11:32

Seima: Oh, thank you! :-)

Lisanka: Oui, merci!

leonine: Yes, it’s really yummy!

Matylda: HAHA :-)

Deborah: Just don’t forget it, it’s a long time until next summer :-)

Pille: It’s a winner!

Dolores: I have the same problem with the book. It’s so hard to pick recipes as they all sound delicious!

Meeta: It’s super easy to miss all the goodies as they are all yummy :-) Thanks!

Megan: Thank you som much!!

Patricia: Thanks! I love the cups, unfortunately they are hard to find and I have only two of them (and also 2 larger ones).

13. Magda
    August 5th, 2007 22:23

Dagmar, lody wygladaja cudownie, chetnie bym zrobila problem w tym, ze juz w Polsce nie ma swiezych truskawek, sezon sie skonczyl :( – tylko ja nie wiem co to jest heavy cream? Please help ;)

August 5th, 2007 22:42

Magda: Tak, niestety juz jest po sezonie w Polsce :-( My na szczescie jeszcze mamy truskawki :-) Heavy cream to jest to samo co tlusta (slodka) smietana. Ja uzywam taka co mozna ubic.

15. african vanielje
    August 31st, 2007 22:49

Oh, such a weakness of mine. The ice cream and your lovely blog.

16. Retro Cars
    October 23rd, 2007 18:45

One of these days I have to go to the Barrett Jackson auction. It’s not far from my house, and I love the cars I see on TV. I always wondered how much I would have gotten for my old convertible if I sold it through them.

17. Cathy
    June 23rd, 2008 23:03

Love this and your timing could not be better -I just got the ice cream attachement for my kitchenaid and this will be the first of many in my ice cream making world

Cheers
    Cathy

June 27th, 2008 08:48

It was a winner indeed – we made it yesterday with local strawberries and it was wonderful!!

19. Shamwow Videos
    February 24th, 2010 19:01

Hey hun, great blog post. Do you have an rss feed that I can subscribe to?