Polish cottage cheese salad (twarożek z szczypiorkem i rzodkiewką)

This simple and refreshing summer salad with cottage cheese is very popular in Poland. I’ve eaten it every summer since childhood and will continue to do so. I make the salad exactly as my mother does, the way she learnt to do it from her mother, my dear granny.

Polish cottage cheese salad
    (twarożek z szczypiorkem i rzodkiewką)

3 spring unions
    12 large radishes
    400 gram cottage cheese
    150 ml crème fraîche (or sour cream)
    salt
    pepper

Slice the spring onions. Grate the radishes. Combine spring onions, radishes, cottage cheese and crème fraîche. Salt and pepper. Serve with freshly baked bread.

18 Responses to “Polish cottage cheese salad (twarożek z szczypiorkem i rzodkiewką)”

1. lory
    July 14th, 2007 19:15

bien frais pour l’été, miam!!

2. Lisanka
    July 14th, 2007 19:39

Lubie ta salatke ;-) Czy mowisz troche po polsku?

July 14th, 2007 19:40

That looks so summery & refreshing!

4. awoz
    July 14th, 2007 22:42

I love this dish to, I usually eat it on dark bread (like rzowy).I also have my version on my blog .
    Reminds me of found memories…

5. Julie
    July 15th, 2007 23:11

My mother is russian and polish, growing up it was always a treat to have cottage cheese with sour cream as well as black bread with sour cream. So this cottage cheese salad looks wonderful and pleasantly familiar to me.

6. Pat
    July 16th, 2007 15:07

Thanks this looks really lovely!!!

7. *S*
    July 17th, 2007 06:36

Will this work better with sour cream/gräddfil or smetana? Does it matter if the cottage cheese is dry curd?

July 18th, 2007 10:30

*S*
    I would say that creme fraiche will make this taste best, but if you count calories then substitute with gräddfil/sour cream. It doesn’t matter if it’s cottage cheese or dry curd, but if you use dry curd you need more sour cream/creme fraiche. I prefer cottage cheese though.

9. avuca
    July 18th, 2007 11:44

mmm…smak wakacji… jak tylko na działce pojawia się rzodkiewka i wzejdzie szczypiorek,to jest u mnie w domu podstawowy składnik kanapek na śniadanie.
    moja mama robi jeszcze jedną wersję – gdy nie ma sezonu na rzodkiewkę, dodaje do twarożku sam szczypiorek albo po prostu pokrojoną cebulę-i to też bardzo “letni” smak
    (piszę po polsku,bo chyba Autorka zna polski biegle;-)

10. jo
    July 18th, 2007 14:54

Witam, pozdrawiam z Polski. Fajnie, że sławisz polską kuchnię na swojej stronie. Szukając dobrego przepisu na chłodnik trafiłam właśnie tu. I zrobię po Twojemu.
    Pzdr dla kotów:)

11. Patricia Scarpin
    July 18th, 2007 16:19

It looks delicious and refreshing!

July 19th, 2007 12:37

Avuca: Zazdrosce dzialke :-) Dzieki za pomysl Twojej mamy wersje!!

jo: Witam! Mam nadzieje ze chlodnik bedzie smakowal.

Patricia: Thanks!

13. Archana
    August 6th, 2008 10:40

So wholesome and yummy, i have saved this one and will surely give this a shot. Looks like this can be a great recipe for my ONE DISH MEAL event. It meets the criteria for a complete meal

14. Funny thing...
    December 24th, 2008 11:27

…about cooking! This reminds me of “pyry z gzikiem”. For those who are not familiar with polish or perhaps are but never heard of that, let me explain; “Pyra” is a local dialect for potato in a part of Poland called Wielkopolska. The way you prepared the cheese is very similar to “gzik”: cottage cheese, some cream, chives (rather than spring onion), salt and pepper. I have seen versions with radish, dill or garlic. The cheese is served cold on hot, freshly boiled, potatoes in peels (cut in halves). Smacznego! :)

15. Stefan
    May 31st, 2009 10:29

Cooking is my passion! Sorry Dagmar but I won’t be trying this one! Had a great party recently at Magda Gessler’s new place….Polish cooking is improving! Polish women, however, are my obession the most delightful, beautiful and charming in the world! (I won’t speak about Swedish cooking maybe the world’s worst….dead fish in vinegar that sort of thing!).

16. Golden Age Cheese
    July 10th, 2009 17:15

Wow this looks delicious!! I will definitely have to try it! One of my favorite salads is made with fresh cheese curds, mint seasoning and apricots. Great idea!

17. Sarah
    May 29th, 2010 21:04

Wow! Not being Polish or Swedish, the combination does not sound very appealing, but I like to try everything at least once or twice and I was very surprised that it tastes so good!

Thank you for sharing the recipe! Do you care if I repost this on my blog if I link back to you?

18. Gosia
    September 4th, 2011 17:43

I love Twarozek! My grandpa used to have it daily on the farm in Poland:)He made it from his own milk and veggies in the garden. It reminds me of my summers in Poland! I had it this morning! Thank you for your post! :) i mention it in one of my blog posts too. http://ohmygosha.com/food/i-like-my-fish-fishy/