Mini choco-coffee Pavlovas

Ever since I made the lovely mini pavlovas a couple of months ago I thought about adding chocolate and coffee for a more adult flavour. I used the old recipe and added grated chocolate, cocoa and instant espresso powder which resulted in a dessert very suitable for grown ups. As usual serve the pavlovas with whipped cream and fresh fruit of your choice, preferably something acid and not too sweet like strawberries or raspberries which go perfect with chocolate.

Mini choco-coffee Pavlovas
(Makes 9-10)

4 egg whites
a pinch of salt
250 gram caster sugar
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp white wine vinegar (makes the meringues chewy inside)
40 gram chopped dark chocolate
2 tsp instant espresso coffee powder (“Nescafé Espresso”)

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Beat the egg whites and salt until the mixture form satiny peaks. Keep beating the egg whites while adding sugar little at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny. Sprinkle over the cocoa, vinegar, chocolate and coffee. Fold in gently.

Form round meringues on the trays lined with baking paper, around 10 cm a cross and 1.5 cm high. Make an indentation in the middle of every pavlova with the back of a spoon. Put in the trays in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 150°C. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the Pavlovas inside for 1.5 hours.

Serve the Pavlovas with whipped cream and fresh fruit, preferably strawberries or raspberries.

The Pavlovas freeze very well, just make sure to be careful as they are very fragile.

10 Responses to “Mini choco-coffee Pavlovas”

1. lory
    July 7th, 2007 14:10

miam,miam….c’est beau!

2. marie
    July 7th, 2007 16:19

very cute pavlovas.

3. Newyorkerbyheart
    July 7th, 2007 21:08

Hi,

what a beautiful and inspiring foodblog you have here. The food looks soooo good :-)

I’m a Danish foodie – I even have my own foodblog – and I love browsing the internet for new inspiration and that brought me by your blog. I’m also a catlover and I have e beautiful cat and I love her dearly……

You are welcome to stop by my foodblog if you feel like it. It’s in Danish, but there’s also LOTS of pictures of the food I make….

Hope it’s ok if I link you you?

Keep it up

My best,
    Birthe

4. margot
    July 8th, 2007 18:32

ale piękne Dagmara,ojej szkoda ,ze nie po polsku
    Margot

5. tofu
    July 9th, 2007 03:46

Looks great! When freezing pavlova, I assume all you have to do is just wait for it to defrost, there is no reheating necessary?

July 9th, 2007 11:56

Newyorkerbyheart: Thank you! I’ll pass by your blog. Actually I made some danish food the other day, I’ll blog about it during the coming days.

Margot: Przepisz jest bardzo podobny do starego ktory juz dalam na cincin, ale podam ten tez.

tofu: No reheat is necessary and you hardly need to defrost, just take it out from the freezer before whipping the cream.

7. Patricia Scarpin
    July 10th, 2007 20:49

This is adorable!
    And looks delicious, too!

July 18th, 2007 14:58

I made ice cream on Monday, and have quite a few egg whites left over, so I thought of making coffee pavlovas. And guess which recipe came first when I googled it? Beautiful :)

July 19th, 2007 12:35

Patricia: Thanks! They are delicious :-)

Pille: I hope that you enjoy your new ice cream machine. How funny that the recipe turned up first on google!