Risotto al Gorgonzola

I love cheese and the funny thing is that I didn’t eat any blue cheese until a few years ago and now I can’t imagine myself without it. The Gorgonzola cheese is Italian and has a rather sharp yet creamy flavour. It’s perfect in food and yesterday I put it in my risotto which resulted in a great and delicious dinner. Risotto may sound difficult to make but it’s really easy as long as you take care of it and stir frequently. This risotto goes perfect with rocket/aragula/ruccola, cherry tomatoes and red onion.

Risotto al Gorgonzola
    (serves 2-3)

1 small onion, finely chopped
    50 ml Olive oil Extra Vergine
    300 ml Arborio rice
    1 litre warm broth (I used an instant one called “Italy” with pine kernels and tomato)
    100 gram gorgonzola cheese, cut in cubes
    20 gram Parmesan cheese, grated
    pepper
    (salt if needed)

Bring broth to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat.

In another pan heat olive oil, add onion and sauté until tender and colourless. Add rice and stir for a minute or two. Add 200 ml of hot broth; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining broth 100 ml at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender, about 20 minutes. When done the rice corns should be creamy with an al dente kernel. Stir in the gorgonzola and parmesan cheese. Season the risotto with pepper (and salt if needed). Transfer to bowl and serve, eat immediately. Don’t reheat in the microwave, it won’t come out good. Serve with red onion, rocket (ruccula) and cherry tomatoes.

10 Responses to “Risotto al Gorgonzola”

1. Anne
    June 24th, 2007 20:41

Sounds delicious! And I have *all* the ingredients at home. Thanks – this will be dinner tomorrow!

2. awoz
    June 26th, 2007 00:25

Lovely recipe and colorfull plate.

3. daniela
    June 27th, 2007 11:10

It seems you’ve learned the originale recipe here in Milan. good work.

4. Viktoria Schiöler
    July 2nd, 2007 09:17

I love risotto and I love gorgonzola. Your dish sounds like something for me!

5. Tartelette
    July 2nd, 2007 19:06

This is divine! I love risotto, so comforting. The pic is so appetizing!

6. Monika Korngut
    July 4th, 2007 20:04

Wonderful recipe. I love making risotto, and adding blue cheese is such a wonderful addition. Plus making it at home, seems always better than eating it in a restaurant, for me they never add enough cheese.

7. almost vegetarian
    July 7th, 2007 02:08

Risotto and blue cheese – marvelous combination. My favorite way to enjoy blue cheese is with walnuts and pears … truly inspired. So, for dessert, I think you need pears and, em, walnuts.

Cheers!

July 7th, 2007 11:49

Anne: I hope you liked it.

awoz: Thanks

Daniela: Thanks! I didn’t know that gorgonzola risotto was typical for Milano. You always leaarn new things!

Viktoria: It’s super easy and very tasty, but maybe not very healthy :-)

Tartelette: Thanks!

Monika: I agree that home made risotto is always so much better than in a restaurant.

almost vegetarion: *lol*, sounds great!

9. lolita
    July 11th, 2007 18:21

bravissimo ! questo è veramente un risotto che mi piace molto ! a presto ! LOlita.