Stuffed picnic baguette

Summer and thus picnic season is here. A few days ago me and my husband took a bike ride to the beautiful Haga park where we had a cosy picnic next to the temple of the echo that is quite popular for civil weddings. Coincidentally a couple got married in the temple while we were eating, so we curiously watched the ceremony from our picnic blanket.

The Temple of the Echo in the Haga Park.

Ever since I found the recipe for Jägerwecken, stuffed Austrian baguette, on Johanna’s blog it has been mandatory on all my picnics. Everybody seem to love it and it’s the perfect finger food. Just don’t forget to bring a knife to the picnic so you can slice the baguettes. I’ve changed the recipe but the basic concept is still there: a stuffed baguette with a lot of goodies. I prefer using two smaller baguettes instead of a long one as they are easier to stuff but it doesn’t really matter.

Stuffed picnic baguettes

2 baguettes (about 20 cm long)
    2 hard boiled eggs
    70 gram gherkins
    100 gram smoked Turkey breast, thinly sliced
    60 gram Västerbotten cheese
    130 gram cream cheese
    80 gram smoked processed cheese “Bonno” (looks like a brown sausage)
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    one handful parsley

Cut off one end of the baguette/s. Hollow out the baguette/s by using kitchen tweezers. Make sure the crust is intact. Chop all ingredients coursly and then combine. Stuff the baguette/s tightly, I use the end of my ice cream scoop for this. Keep the stuffed baguettes in the fridge, wrapped in cling film. When serving just slice the baguettes.

29 Responses to “Stuffed picnic baguette”

1. Tina
    June 20th, 2007 05:45

Thats delicious and look great indeed.Gourmet coffee at http://www.coffeebreakusa.com adds to food stuff.

2. Markus "LAKE" Berglund
    June 20th, 2007 06:02

Ser smarrigt ut!

3. xiaoyu
    June 20th, 2007 06:13

I’a Chinese.
    Baguette is able to be bought, but most of Chinese don’t like it for it is terrible to eat. How strange why french like to eat? It’s no any taste.today I learn to add food stuff in it from your blog.It must taste delicious.

maybe i can’t expess my idea for I don’t grasp English and use English.

I like your blog.

4. Pat
    June 20th, 2007 06:53

That looks really yummy!!! Thanks for the great idea too!! I will now know what to take on our next picnic here. Thanks!!!

June 20th, 2007 06:59

Sounds like a great picnic dish indeed – must try it soon, as we’re bound to end up having lots of picnics over the summer, and I can think of lots of different fillings I could use.
    And congrats on the mention in Anne’s lovely article in Aftonsblad!

6. Paulinka
    June 20th, 2007 08:30

Dagmar, that looks yummy!! I’m really amazed with your blog and receipes! I read posts about polish cuisine with a great pleasure. I am your big fan and naleśniki z serem lover too :-) I would be happy if you visit CinCin more often :-) buziaki :-)

7. Christene
    June 20th, 2007 13:34

Mm, I wish I could try that for lunch today! I’m not usually much of a recipe collector, but I will definitely try this out — and I also quite enjoy your blog!

8. Michael
    June 22nd, 2007 13:46

I wonder what it would be like if you use prebaked bread, stuff that, and than finish baking it in the oven for 12 minutes after it’s been stuffed.

June 24th, 2007 19:54

Markus: Du får helt enkelt bjuda in dig själv på picknick nästa gång :-)

xiaoyu: Thanks for your compliments! You’re right that baguette itself doesn’t taste much, that’s why the filling or topping is important :-)

Pat: Thanks!

Pille: Thanks, it was really sweet of her to mention me.

Paulinka: Dzieki! Postaram sie odwiedzac Cincin troche czesciej!

Christene: Thanks!

Michael: Hmmm, interesting idea. It reminds me of a dish I ate at a friends house when I was a little girl. They had a different stuffing though.

10. adelyn
    July 1st, 2007 00:26

wow, that looks so good! except i can never find turkey breast here in paris. maybe i’ll substitute it with chicken. i love summer picnics!

11. Elle
    July 3rd, 2007 04:31

Perfect picnic fare. This is one I’ll have to try. Thanks!
    Welcome to the Daring Bakers, too.

12. agulka
    July 3rd, 2007 09:36

You can also try classic Caprese mixture for stuffing, i.e. mozzarella, deseeded tomatoes, basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. Besides, I love the idea of good food combined with love for cats (I am the property of a cute she-cat, too)

13. michico
    July 5th, 2007 07:32

Oah Dear,
    It looks delicous~!
    Thanks for sharing this idea~!

July 7th, 2007 11:51

Adelyn: Chicken will be perfect.

Elle: Thanks!

Agulka: Thanks!

Michico: Thanks!

15. peabody
    July 11th, 2007 00:15

That looks like a fantastic picnic sandwich.

16. Stramenopile
    July 11th, 2007 13:01

Hej. Bagietki wyglądają wyśmienicie. Mogłabyś jednak napisać co to za ser – Västerbotten cheese? A ten cream cheese to taki miękki serek jakby śmietanowy? Nie wiem za bardzo jak to jest w Polsce z tym serami. Dziękuję z góry za odpowiedź.

17. Julie
    July 11th, 2007 22:44

What a great idea, that looks wonderful. I am going to try these stuffed baguettes.

July 12th, 2007 22:54

Peabody and Julie: Thanks!

Stramenopile: Västerbotten cheese to jest typowy Szwedski zolty twardy ser, troche miedzy zwyklym zoltym serem i paremeggiano/parmesan. Mozez zastopic z jakims smakowym zoltym serem.Cream cheese to philadelphia cheese, czyli bialy kremowy ser. Powodzenia!

19. Ngoc
    August 5th, 2007 00:11

These were the biggest hit of a pool party I brought them to (I filled mine with an egg salad and a cucumber salad). Thanks for the idea!

August 5th, 2007 12:01

Ngoc: Cool! I’m glad you liked them!

21. Kazelksv
    July 3rd, 2008 05:41

Hi webmaster!

22. Kazelfml
    July 3rd, 2008 15:37

Hi webmaster!

23. octavio
    July 6th, 2009 08:12

Picnics are simply fun. On the current economic status, saving money is a thing every family would like to do. Picnics are a cool way to to this.. The best part about picnics is that it really does help bond a family together through spending time together outside! Hey, grab your picnic baskets and have fun.

24. Volcanica Gouremet Coffee
    September 8th, 2009 12:02

That looks delicious and a nice little way to feed the kids when you are on the go or at a picnic. This would also go great with an iced coffee recipe of mine http://www.volcanicacoffee.com/coffee-articles/iced-coffee-recipe.htm

Thank you for sharing your recipe!

25. David
    August 3rd, 2010 21:09

Awesome recipe and idea of the baguette!!! :D