EBBP#7 Childhood Sweets

Tanuki is smelling the cute marzipan frog from Pille in Estonia.
First a quick introduction what Euro Blogging by Post is all about. Every second month or so, European food bloggers send food parcels to each other. Yes, real food. And we even dare to eat it :-) Every participant gets an e-mail with the receiver’s address from the organiser (this time Johanna), posts a parcel with food to the receiver and then waits for another parcel in return from a secret sender. This is an excellent way of getting to know the other food bloggers and to try foreign food and ingredients. This time EBBP had a theme, childhood sweets. The round-up with all parcels sent and received can be found here.

I was so happy when I read the sender name for my ebbp#7 parcel on the dispatch note from the post office which I received yesterday. Lovely Pille from Nami-Nami, our Canadian apple cake queen from Estonia! And queen of rhubarb of course! The only small downside was that my husband voluntarly went to the postal department in our grocery store to pick up the parcel, but they were already closed so I had to wait until today to actually get the parcel. But the parcel sure was worth waiting for! Pille had prepared a great parcel consisting of her Estonian childhood sweets, a buttering knife from Tallinn, a cute cat fingerdoll and a brochure about Estonian food.

I immediately recognized the sweets with cows on them, Lehmakomm, as there is a Polish equivalent called krowki (small cows) which is one of my favourite childhood sweets! The marzipan frog is so cute that I don’t want to eat him (yes, I’ve decided that it’s a male frog), but as I love marzipan I will have to do it. I really like the sweets that I’ve tested so far and now I’ll have to hide the chocolate from my husband! :-)

Thank you Pille for a wonderful parcel and all effort, I really enjoy everything.

A brochure about Estonian food and a buttering knife from Tallinn.

Marzipan frog and 4 kinds of chocolate.

Lehmakomm and Miisu.

Magus Korsik (sweet bread sticks) and a very cute cat fingerdoll (as Pille wrote: “I know how much you like your cats”).

16 Responses to “EBBP#7 Childhood Sweets”

1. Michael
    June 7th, 2007 13:13

What a wonderful idea, this parcel swapping! Where can you join in on this wonderful event ? I’m sure Belgium has got some fine food to offer :)

2. brilynn
    June 8th, 2007 17:53

What a fun package! And I love the photo of the kitty.

June 8th, 2007 23:05

I’m so glad you liked the parcel, Dagmar! I was so delighted to compile a parcel for you, especially as I really enjoyed the non-EBBP goodie bag I got from you last summer:)
    And the photos are great – the cat & frog one is our favourite:)

June 12th, 2007 14:51

Dagmar – I just realise that coincidentally, two other items are cat-focused – Miisu is a common kitten-name, and Nurr (the chocolate) is obviously the sound a happy cat makes (in Estonian, at least. English-speaking cats ‘purr’, I believe). I didn’t realise that when putting the parcel together..

5. evinrude
    June 12th, 2007 14:52

Oooh that’s so cute! I was going to post something about my childhood biscuits and snacks. =)

6. grace
    June 13th, 2007 09:05

hi dagmar, i’ve just struck into yours when i searched for bakkut teh recipes and… i just loveeee your blog because i think we adore 2 hillarious things : cat & food. the idea of food parcels was great. we, usually share food parcels for home cooking or must try stuffs. childhood sweets was something indulging due to their rare production. glad to know you! :)

June 13th, 2007 18:43

Michael: Keep an eye on the “Is my blog burning” site.

Brilynn: Thanks!

Pille: Thanks again and thanks for the compliments on the photo :-)

Grace: Welcome and thank you!!

June 13th, 2007 18:47

Pille: And I thought that the miisu and nurr were well planned from your side. But it’s a fun coincidence! :-)

9. Liska
    June 13th, 2007 19:47

Boszzzz, jaki piękny blog :-) Jak to możliwe, że tak późno go odkryłam? Dania i kocury (zwłaszcza ten rudy): mrrrrau.

10. Sally
    June 14th, 2007 17:55

Hi Dagmar,
    What an absolutely beautiful blog!
    Just like Grace I was please to find cats and food all in the one place.
    I just adore the photograph of Tanuki sniffing the frog.
    I look forward to visiting again.

11. Alice
    June 15th, 2007 01:43

Hi Dagmar,

I too am new to your blog, (which is beautiful I love the photo’s). I am from Australia and would love swapping food stories. I was also delighted to discover that you like guitar hero !!

June 19th, 2007 22:23

Liska: Witam i slicznie dziekuje!

Sally: Thank you very much for your compliments! Welcome back!

Alice: Thank you very much!! You’re very welcome to send a mail :-)

13. avuca
    July 6th, 2007 15:34

this blog is perfect! cats and sweets – all i need to enjoy life;-) beautiful photos… those miisu candies-what is it? they’ve got cats in the wrapping,so they must be good…

July 7th, 2007 11:54

Avuca: Thanks! The miisu candies is a kind of toffee I guess. Very nice!