Rhubarb and Apple Crumble

Last Sunday I finally decided to harvest my rhubarb plant. As the plant was beautiful it was actually quite sad, but I hope that more stalks will grow up this and coming years. After trimming the stalks I only ended up with 300 grams of rhubarb. So what to do with 300 grams of precious home grown rhubarb? I recalled a rhubarb crumble recipe from the newspaper Svenska Dagbladet, apparently a Gordon Ramsay recipe, which I modified and then baked.

I served the crumble with vanilla custard and it was very appreciated by the boys (my husband and his friend). I’ve improvised with hazelnuts in my crumble toppings before and they give a really chunky and delicious crumble. The filling was creamy and tasty but I thought that something was missing, maybe more spices or more rhubarb? Probably more rhubarb! The others just devoured the crumble with ooohs and aaahs while watching the latest episode of Jamie at home.

Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
    (Source: Gordon Ramsay via Svenska Dagbladet and then modified)

Filling:
    300 gram fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed from leaves
    400 gram apples
    1 tbsp butter
    1.5 tbsp runny honey
    1 tsp fresh ginger, very finely grated
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1.5 tbsp raspberry syrup

Topping:
    50 gram hazelnuts
    350 ml flour
    150 gram butter
    2.5 tbsp demerara sugar

Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C.

Cut the rhubarb in 2 cm long chunks. Peel the apples and cut them in 2 cm chunks. Put the fruit in a sauce pan together with the butter, honey, ginger, cinnamon and syrup. Heat and let simmer for a few minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Don’t let the fruit become too soft though.

Pour the fruit filling in a baking pan.

Roast the hazelnuts in a dry warm frying pan for a few minutes. Remove from heat and place the hazelnuts in a clean and dry kitchen towel. Rub the nuts in the towel to remove the outer papery inner skin. Chop the hazelnuts coarsly.

Place the demerara sugar, butter, flour and hazelnuts in a bowl. With the tips of your fingers rub the ingredients together until you have a crumbly mixture. Cover the fruit with the crumbles and bake for 25 minutes until the topping is nicely browned.
    Serve luke warm with vanilla custard.

Harvesting the rhubarb plant.

Tanuki is in shock. “Where did the rhubarb dissapear?”

15 Responses to “Rhubarb and Apple Crumble”

1. Fabienne
    May 30th, 2007 22:04

J’adore la rhubarbe pour son goût acidulé !

2. deinin
    May 30th, 2007 23:15

I don’t know about very tender rhubarb plants, but once they’re established they actually like getting harvested, it encourages new stalks to grow. So I bet you’ll still get lots of homegrown rhubarb to enjoy this summer! The crumble topping looks divine.

May 31st, 2007 06:13

I’m sure your rhubarb will be fine and you’ll be eating lots and lots in the future. I love the bottom picture with the kitty – she looks really shocked!

4. Denzylle
    May 31st, 2007 10:21

Tanuki: ‘Uh, oh! Am I going to get the blame for this?’

5. $ha
    May 31st, 2007 20:19

When you have said that something was missing, at once I thought of rhubarb.
    Maybe you have not a lot of rhubarb but you used your 300grams in a wonderful recipe!

6. Michael
    June 2nd, 2007 10:58

Hi, this is my very first visit to your blog, and I must say I’m impressed. Clean very nice layout, playful concept, interesting articles. I just stumbled in by accident, when I searched for “jamie at home potatoes” in google your site was the first hit. I’m definately bookmarking your site, keep up the great work, Dagmar.

June 3rd, 2007 12:48

Fabienne: I also love the acid taste of rhubarb

deinin: Thanks! Today, one week after the harvest, I can already see that new stalks are on their way!

Pille: It’s already growing again! Yay!

Denzylle: Haha, yes it seems like that is what he’s thinking!

$ha: You’re right, and there is more rhubarb in the store :-)

Michael: Thank you very much for your kind compliments!!!

8. Jenny
    November 5th, 2007 10:56

allergic to honey so used sangiovese verjuice instead(up market dessert!) and left out the raspberry. Used macadamia nuts instead of hazelnut- love the ginger – love the cat-

9. Wesley Tousant
    January 17th, 2010 06:50

Thank you for the information provided. Food and cooking is my passion so this helps