Rhubarb pie in progress

This is my rhubarb plant, planted in the middle of April in a big pot on my small balcony. I can’t believe how fast it grows, from only 2 stalks to 6 ones in less than a month. Rhubarb is a really easy plant to grow and even if you only have a small balcony I promise you that it will grow (with some help of sun and water of course). I still havn’t decided what to do with the future harvest, but I will probably bake a (small) delicious pie.

This is how the rhubarb plant looked like on April 10th.

Rhubarb plant, one month later on May 10th.

20 Responses to “Rhubarb pie in progress”

May 10th, 2007 14:57

That is fast!! Luckily I had a friendly farmer (and my mom grows rhubarb, too), though next year I’ll hope to pick my own. Such a neat idea to grow rhubarb in a pot like that!

2. Anne
    May 10th, 2007 21:20

Huh! My rhubarb plants – two of them – didn’t grow a bit, and they seem completely dead this year. :(

3. Katie
    May 11th, 2007 02:07

Yum, I love rhubarb but it’s so expensive in the stores. Maybe I should try to grow them. :)

4. vonsachsen
    May 11th, 2007 20:57

Wow, that´s impressing! A very good idea since I also have only a small balcony. But one question: where do you get your rhubarb plant from, please?

May 11th, 2007 22:51

Pille: You’re very lucky both having a generous farmer and a mother with rhubarb plants!

Anne: We’ll see how well my plant will manage during the winter…

Katie: You won’t regret it :-)

Vonsachen: I ordered my plant together with some other balcony plants from http://www.hortogreen.com. The rhubarb is called Victoria and costs 45 kronor. But they charge 75 to 119 kronor for post and package, it’s a bit much if you only order one rhubarb plant. You can also find rhubarb at your nearest Plantagen store http://www.plantagen.se

6. vonsachsen
    May 12th, 2007 19:00

Thanks! I haven´t even thought of Plantagen! It might be too late this year but I´ll give it a try anyway.

7. Scott at Realepicurean
    May 12th, 2007 19:17

You know that rhubarb is just so popular in my kitchen when it’s in season. There’s nothing better than that sharp sour taste!

8. the chocolate lady
    May 13th, 2007 05:38

So lovely–We will not have rhubarb for a few more weeks here, but I am looking forward to it.

May 13th, 2007 14:10

vonachsen: Good luck, I’m sure it’s not to late to plant rhubarb. Especially not if you plant them in pots.

Scott: I agree on that. I just love rhubarb.

chocolate lady: I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you’ll soon have rhubarb in the stores.

10. Jon Dillard
    June 8th, 2007 20:27

Have you ever heard a song about the most fabulous pie of all time?

Check out the new song
    “Rhubarb Pie”
    by Memphis singer/songwriter Jon Dillard.

Try it. You’ll like it.

11. Alec S.
    June 11th, 2008 18:17

I wonder if rhubarb is safe for cats. It’s supposed to be good for diabetics because it can kickstart the pancreas to produce insulin, but what about diabetic cats?

June 12th, 2008 15:48

Alec: I have no idea. My cats don’t eat plants so I havn’t even thought about it.

13. June
    February 20th, 2009 01:42

I just purchased 3 rhubarb plants. I was going to try and plant one in a big pot. I think I will now that I saw your pictures….thanks.

14. colored cat contact
    March 1st, 2009 20:27

It won’t be long before rhubarb season is here. I always think about my grandmas delicious rhubarb pie. It was the best!

15. Omer Slomkowski
    January 23rd, 2010 19:11

That’s a pretty great post, i was scanning something identical on another blog not too long ago that essentially said the same thing although yours is clearer, plus its nice to have some validation on seeing two resources agree.