Mini crisp bread with herring and fresh potato

Mini crisp bread with fresh potato, herring, sour cream and chives.

We spent the whole Easter in Gothenburg with our families, eating a lot of wonderful food and playing games. On Easter Saturday, Fredrik’s father made these simple starters with a taste of Sweden, due to the herring and crisp bread. They were inspired by a commercial which he saw in the grocery store and I must say that it’s a great idea, especially for Midsummer’s Eve. I’m aware of that it can be hard finding mini crisp bread abroad, but maybe at IKEA? Both Wasa and Leksands bröd produce mini variants of their crisp bread, and it doesn’t really matter which you use. Swedish herring can definitely be found at the food market at IKEA. An idea that I’ll try to remember for next time is to add a slice of the strong Västerbotten cheese between the potato and herring, just to add more taste.

Mini crisp bread with herring and fresh potato

Mini crisp bread (either Leksands Mini or Wasa Knäckis)
    a couple small fresh potatoes, boiled
    Swedish herring
    sour cream
    chives
    butter

Butter the mini crisp bread. Slice the potatoes and cut the herring into small pieces. Put a slice of potato on each crisp bread, add a piece of herring and decorate with sour cream and chives.

12 Responses to “Mini crisp bread with herring and fresh potato”

1. leonine19
    April 22nd, 2007 13:04

good and so cute idea!

2. Pene
    April 23rd, 2007 09:20

I wouldn’t spend the time buttering the crisp breads. I’d just put a small blob of sour cream instead. They look great for a party idea.

3. Michelle
    April 24th, 2007 01:07

These look like scrumptious little bites! :)

4. Caroline
    April 25th, 2007 18:25

What a great blog you have. I just happened upon you and can see that I need to spend a couple of hours just looking at all of your delicious-looking recipes.

I noticed that you have a “Polish” section. I know a book that you might enjoy. It’s called Pear on a Willow Tree. I have used it in my Master’s thesis which is about how ethnic novels use food motifs. It’s about a Polish American family and has many food references in it. Its’ by Leslie Pietrzyk.

5. Monika Korngut
    April 26th, 2007 21:23

What a great idea. I love your references to IKEA, it is so universal, no matter where you are, you can find it and these items.

Take care,
    M.

6. Jakob
    April 26th, 2007 22:02

I’m a Swedish lad who’s been living in Ireland and Denmark during the last couple of years; and I’ve never really bothered to cook until two years ago (I was the type of guy who would end up eating bread, dipped in anything runnier than bread, for dinner). But I’ve finally started out now, and when I stumbled on your blog a few minutes ago, I immediately found tens of recipes I want to try my hand on – especially the Swedish-inspired ones that remind me of home! Good work – the blog is bookmarked and will be checked regularly from here on in!

7. Julie
    April 30th, 2007 23:19

My mother and I absolutely love herring. One of our favorite meals is Herring in sour cream with some russian black bread.

May 1st, 2007 20:54

Pene: Buttering the crisp bread went really fast :-)

Michelle: And quite healthy as well!

Caroline: Thanks! And thank you so much for the book tip, I will definately try to find that book!

Monika: Yes, I agree. It’s nice that you you can trust IKEA :-)

Jakob: Hi and welcome! Thanks for the compliments!!!

Julie: Mmm, that sounds lovely!

9. Joe
    May 18th, 2007 15:49

Good news for me, Wasa can be readily found in the SE U.S.

It’s usually tucked somewhere around the chips or biscotti or ‘bagel chips’ I used it to cut down on potato chips (it goes well with guacamole, too)

No luck on Swedish herring around here. Would smoked salmon do in a pinch?

May 21st, 2007 15:38

Joe,
    It\’s nice to know that Wasa can be found in the U.S. I would definitly try with smoked salmon if you can\’t find herring. Different taste, but still very yummy!