Happy Easter!

Easter baskets with samples of Easter food, called Swienconka

I’ve just returned from church where we’ve been for the traditional blessing of Easter food. Every family decorates a basket and fill it with samples of the Easter food which will be eaten tomorrow on Easter day. The tradition is only common in east European catholic countries and the church is always filled with people and baskets.

Happy Easter to all of you!

10 Responses to “Happy Easter!”

1. awoz
    April 7th, 2007 13:28

In my family we have this tradition to (of course we’re Polish)Do you put a little lamb made of sucre in the basket too??
    Pretty picture:)
    Have a nice easter!!

April 7th, 2007 13:43

Hi Awoz: Yes, we put in a sugar lamb as well :-) Thanks! You too.

3. Monika Korngut
    April 7th, 2007 18:58

We also do that, there is so many baskets its a great family affair. This year in Toronto there is so much snow, it looks like Christmas :) Funny how things are.

4. Marie
    April 9th, 2007 09:04

Loved the pictures and learning a bit about holiday traditions in another country!

5. miko
    April 9th, 2007 09:10

Kon ni chi wa!(hello), I am miko,
    Writeing from Japan.(Tokyo)
    I was searching Moomin house
    and I found your blog.
    I love moomin and collecting books, DVD
    and also Mugs.
    I see your makeing moomin house,
    It was so nice.
    Also suprise to know you have come to
    Japan.
    Too bad I do not have blog right now.
    so you can not know about me…
    well my English is very poor so hard to
    write like this.
    Seems like you had wonderful Easter.
    I will come and see blog soon again.
    Have a nice day!

6. Brilynn
    April 10th, 2007 03:54

What a great tradition! I’ve never heard of it.

7. M.
    April 10th, 2007 19:24

OCH! Trafiłam przez przypadek, patrzę na zdjęcie i myślę sobie “Hmm, coś mi tak Polsko tutaj”
    I taka miła niespodzianka!:)
    Lecę do archiwum, poczytać, pooglądać, poczekać aż ślinka poleci od tych pyszności
    Pozdrawiam gorąco

April 11th, 2007 21:05

Monika: We had snow as well!

Marie: I’m glad you liked it.

Miko: Konnichiwa and welcome!! I’m happy that you liked the moomin house.
    I had a great time in Japan, it’s a beautiful country. Take care!

Brilynn: It’s a very dear tradition for me, I always go to the food blessing.

M: Witam! Mam nadzieje ze znajdziesz sobie jakis fajny przepis :-) Pozdrowienia!

9. Scott at Real Epicurean
    April 18th, 2007 11:57

Happy Easter to you too! I’m actually currently sitting in Poland writing this comment, having spent Easter here. I’ll write about it on my blog when I get back, but my pictures aren’t so beautiful like yours!

April 22nd, 2007 09:05

Scott: I’m sure your pictures are great. I so envy you that you spent your Easter in Poland! :-)