Blackberry cake with vanilla pannacotta

Happy birthday to me :-)

The bad thing being a food blogger and having birthday is that you have to make your own birthday cake. The best thing is that you can do which ever cake you want! Ever since our wedding last year I’ve been planning to make a copy of our wedding cake which was made by the bakery Steinbrenner & Nyberg in Gothenburg. The cake consists of almond bottom, vanilla pannacotta, blackberry mousse and a blackberry mirror. I have to say that this first attempt resulted in a beautiful and delicious tasting cake which really holds it own against the Steinbrenner one. But now I have to eat some more of the cake while watching the new episodes of Jamie on Swedish channel 5 :-)

Blackberry cake with vanilla pannacotta

Almond bottom:
    300 gram almond paste
    2 eggwhites
    1 whole egg

Pannacotta:
    (I only did a half batch, but i really recommend doing a whole batch instead with the following quantities:)
    1 tsp gelatine powder + 2 tsp water
    500 ml cream
    1 vanilla pod
    50 ml caster sugar

Blackberry mousse:
    1.5 tsp gelatin powder + 2 tsp water
    200 ml blackberry purée (450 grams of strained defrosted blackberries will give you 350 ml purée, just enough for the mousse and the glaze)
    200 ml double cream
    3.5 tbsp powdered sugar

Blackberry glaze:
    100 ml blackberry purée
    1 tsp gelatine powder + 2 tsp water
    0.5 tbsp powdered sugar

Decoration:
    Blackberries
    White chocolate

Almond bottom: Pre-heat the oven to 175°C. Line the bottom of a spring form (20 cm wide) with baking parchment. Butter the paper. Grate the almond paste and combine with the eggs (preferably with an electric mixer or beater). Pour the mixture in the spring form. Bake the cake in the middle of the oven for about 20-25 minutes. Let the cake cool and remove the baking parchment.

Put an overhead sheet (size A4) on a cutting board. If the sheet doesn’t fit, then take a larger cutting board. Put the cake on the middle of the overhead sheet. Take two overhead sheets (size A4) and cut them lengthwise in the center so that you’ll have 2 long strips. Attach the two strips together so that you have one long strip, using adhesive/scotch tape. Now wrap the cake sides with your strip, as tightly as you can as you don’t want your filling to leak out, but make sure that your construction is straight otherwise your whole cake will be crooked. As soon as you’re happy with your transparent mold, fasten it with tape. Also fasten your mold to the bottom overhead sheet with a lot of tape.

Pannacotta: Combine gelatin with water, set aside. Cut the vanilla pod in half lenghtwise and scrape out the seeds. Combine cream, vanilla seeds and sugar in a pan. Let simmer for 3-4 minutes, don’t let it boil. Remove the mixture from the heat, add the gelatine and whisk until it’s dissolved. Let the pannacotta cool, when at room temperature you can place it in the fridge. Don’t let the pannacotta set completely, make sure to find the right moment when it’s starting to stiffen. Then pour a small amount of the pannacotta on the cake. If it starts leaking, quickly put the whole cutting board in the freezer and let it stay there until the pannacotta stiffen. Then you can take it out and safely pour the rest of the pannacotta into your mold. Put the cutting board in the fridge and let it stiffen for at least 2 hours.

Blackberry mousse: Strain the blackberries. In a cup, soak the gelatin in the water. Combine the strained blackberries with the sugar. In a separate bowl whip cream to soft peaks.
Place the cup with softened gelatin in a larger cup which you fill with hot water, enough to come halfway up side of cup. Stir the gelatin mixture frequently for 2 minutes, until the gelatin dissolve completely and the mixture is clear. Let the gelatin cool to room temperature. Add 4 tbsp of the purée mixture to the gelatine, stir. Combine the rest of the blackberry mix with the cooled gelatin (If you discover any lumps, heat the blackberry/gelatine mix carefully while strirring and then let it cool again). Finally carefully fold in the blackberries/gelatin into whipped cream.

Take out the cake from the fridge and spread the blackberry mousse evenly over the cake. Let the cake stiffen in the fridge for 2 hours.

Blackberry glaze: In a cup, soak the gelatin in the water. Combine the strained blackberries with the sugar. Place the cup with softened gelatin in a larger cup which you fill with hot water, enough to come halfway up side of cup. Stir the gelatin mixture frequently for 2 minutes, until the gelatin dissolve completely and the mixture is clear. Let the gelatin cool to room temperature. Add 4 tbsp of the purée mixture to the gelatine, stir. Combine the rest of the blackberry mix with the cooled gelatin (If you discover any lumps, heat the blackberry/gelatin mix carefully while strirring and then let it cool again). Pour the glaze over the cake and put it into the fridge for 30 minutes.

Take out the cake from the fridge. Carefully cut the tape with a knife and then carefully release the sides by pulling of the overhead strip from the cake. Transfer the cake to a serving plate. Decorate with white chocolate and blackberries.

34 Responses to “Blackberry cake with vanilla pannacotta”

1. Fabienne
    March 18th, 2007 21:39

Super appétissant !

2. aurélie
    March 18th, 2007 21:42

Magnifique !

3. CoinCoin
    March 18th, 2007 22:02

Superbe !

4. natz
    March 18th, 2007 22:04

åh va fin! nu blev jag sugen på att baka nåt riktigt lyxigt…

5. avital
    March 18th, 2007 22:15

happy birthday!!
    what a beautiful and appetizing cake, i love everything in it!

6. lory
    March 18th, 2007 22:47

magnifique tarte!!

7. Emmie
    March 18th, 2007 22:58

That looks fantastic!

8. Willa
    March 19th, 2007 02:28

Oh, my gosh, that looks divine! And happy birthday!

March 19th, 2007 08:22

Happy Birthday, Dagmar, and enjoy the wonderful-looking cake!! I like the idea of recreating your wedding cake – you should also have it on your anniversary:)

10. margot
    March 19th, 2007 08:56

Dagmarko wszystkiego najlepszego
    a ja poproszę po polsku przepis

11. Mayacook
    March 19th, 2007 09:17

Il looks so delicious!

12. Michelle
    March 19th, 2007 10:38

Happy Birthday Dagmar!! WOW, your cake looks fantastic! Well done! :)

13. AgusiaH
    March 19th, 2007 10:50

Hi, Dagmar!!
    It’s my first comment on your blog but I used to read it for more then a year.
    First of all I would like to wish you happy birthday (a little bit late I know ;)).

The cake is lovely and I have some blackberries in my my freezer. Up till now I didn’t have any good idea what to do with them. But now you heve solved my problem :). Only one question about almond paste – what is the consistency of it? Is it similar to marzipan or thiner?

14. Dorothee
    March 19th, 2007 13:18

Happy Birthday!
    The first thing I thought when I saw the picture of your cake was, “Oh my God I hate the internets because I can’t eat what’s in the pictures!” The cake looks superb, and I’m sure it also tastes like it looks.

15. Brilynn
    March 19th, 2007 17:06

Wow! That looks amazing, better than a bakery!

16. Anne
    March 19th, 2007 20:40

Oh my god, that looks amazing! :)

17. Maria
    March 19th, 2007 23:02

Happy Birthday! That cake looks amazing! And the colors are beautiful! What a great idea to recreate such a memorable wedding cake for your birthday.

18. tiggerrr
    March 21st, 2007 09:26

grattis på födelsedagen! givetvis är jag sådär fashionabelt sen…som alltid :)

19. Monika Korngut
    March 21st, 2007 14:46

Happy Birthday!! The cake looks delicious and very professional.
    All the best,

20. Monika
    March 21st, 2007 20:04

Po pierwsze Wszystkie Naj z okazji urodzin! Tort wygląda prześlicznie i pewnie smakuje jeszcze lepiej. Mam pytanie – czy myślisz, że zamiast jeżyn lepiej byłoby dać maliny czy jagody? myślę o zrobieniu tego cuda na Wielkanoc a nigdzie nie widziałam mrożonych jeżyn (bo chyba nie muszą koniecznie być świeże owoce?). Pozdrawiam serdecznie.

21. Sinistra
    March 22nd, 2007 10:02

Wszystkiego najlepszego
    Super ciacho!
    Mam to samo pytanie, co AgusiaH- o pastę z migdałów

March 22nd, 2007 20:54

Thanks to all for the kind compliments and gratulations!

Agusia: The consistency is the same as marcipan, but marcipan contains more sugar and less almonds.

Monika: Dzieki! Myszle ze tort bylby wspanialy z malinami, i oczywiscie moga byc mrozone. Ja wlasnie kupilam mrozone jezyny. Z 450 gram wyszlo mi 350 ml po tym ze ich przetarlam.

Sinistra: Pasta migdalowa jest prawie jak marcypan tylko po prostu jest mniej cukru i wiecej migdalow.

Margot: Bedzie przepis po Polsku. Pierw musze tylko napisac instrukcje po Angielsku.

23. Scott at Realepicurean
    March 23rd, 2007 21:36

Ja nie mogę mówić dobrze po polsku – ale wszystkiego najlepszego Dagmar!

I’m not even going to attempt Swedish – so English it is – have a great Birthday!

24. Clivia
    March 25th, 2007 11:32

Happy birthday – afterwards! The cake looks lovely!

March 25th, 2007 22:29

Scott: Bardzo dziekuje! I suspect that your wife helped you with that one :-)

Clivia: Thanks!

26. Scott at Realepicurean
    March 26th, 2007 23:56

Dagmar: No help needed on that one – I can speak some Polish – enough to hold a basic conversation. I just sound like a 5 year old Polish child while I’m doing it :)

March 31st, 2007 12:40

Scott: My husband has started learing Polish and I hope he will get as good as you!

28. Linda, The Village Vegetable
    April 11th, 2007 16:20

wow – you are uber talented! and yet, you make it look so easy. thanks for the step by step pics; they will definitely come in handy. beautiful presentation – and it looks delish!!!

April 11th, 2007 21:07

Linda: You make me blush :-) Thanks for the compliments!

30. Yulia
    August 24th, 2007 11:47

Hi Dagmar!

Just love your blog, anyway I have put your website on my blogroll, hehehe…

May I copy the recipe, and the step by step you give is gorgeous, thanks very much :)

Kind Regards from Indonesia,

Yulia

31. amalia
    September 10th, 2008 13:57

I like your cake! It looks very good :)

32. E.G.
    December 12th, 2008 00:10

Hello, there, Dagmar! Someone on another website suggested that I tried out this recipe of yours. I read it and now am in doubt about some points. If you could be so kind to answer my questions, I’d be so very grateful. So on to them:

1) You use both caster and powdered sugar. Why so? And would it be ok if I just used confectioner’s sugar all the way?

2) You use both cream and double cream. Again: why is that? Also: would it be ok if I used Brazilian regular cream instead? (25% fat). Other than that we have, in the southern states, something called “nata”, which is a dairy product with 55% fat. It’s hard to get and I don’t know if it’s workable in these preparations.

3) You use almond paste. We certainly don’t find that easily in Brazil; but I did find a recipe to make your own. I wonder if that’ll do and what kind of consistency I’ll get for the bottom. Will it be firm? Honestly, this is all very new to me, and by picturing it in my head, it doesn’t seem like it will be a consistent bottom, but hey, that’s exactly why I’m here bowing to your experience and knowledge. The DYI almond paste recipe is here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Almond-Paste/Detail.aspx

How much do you think would be enough, by the way?

Thanks in advance! :)

33. G_i_N
    September 6th, 2009 10:06

вот ето руль!!!

34. Jasmine Turner
    April 26th, 2010 06:57

The Blackberry is the best gadget that i ever received as a gift from my best friend. It has nice features and the design looks very cool too.