Mini Pavlovas

In the foreground a mini Pavlova with bilberry jam, blackberries, raspberry syrup and whipped cream. In the background a mini Pavlova with mango, raspberries, pineapple, whipped cream and peach syrup.

This is a fantastic dessert, you can’t resist loving it. Chewy yet crispy fragile meringues with whipped cream and your favourite fruit. Or with ice cream and shaved chocolate. Or with rhubarb preserve. Or… There is no end to all wonderful combinations you can make up with these little meringues. The name of the Pavlova origins from the great Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova, who was said not to dance but to soar as though on wings. And these light meringues are supposed to symbolize that lightyness. There’s apparently a controversary with Australia and New Zeeland as both countries claim to have invented this airy dessert. But why bother, just eat it!

I actually wasn’t planning on making mini Pavlovas, oh no. My plan was to bake an advanced Carribean chocolate and mango cake. A recipe using a lot of egg yolks for the mango brûlée which was going inside the cake. Unfortunately my baking mold leaked water during the oven water bath and as I didn’t want to start all over I recalled the delicious mini Pavlovas we had at Anne’s last midsummer. So I made merengues, which are much easier to make than that Carribean cake! And I know that I was going to give the pączki a new try, but I was so busy with the disasterous cake that I didn’t feel like frying doughnuts. But I’ll probably bake them during the next weekend and will then post a most likely modified recipe.

Mini Pavlovas
(Makes 18. Recipe Nigella Lawson)

8 egg whites
a pinch of salt
500g caster sugar
4 tsp corn flour
2 tsp white wine vinegar (makes the meringues chewy inside)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I didn’t have any so I just substituted 100 gram of the above 500 gram caster sugar with my own vanilla sugar, which basically is a jar of caster sugar to which I add scraped used vanilla pods instead of throwing them in the trash).

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper.

Beat the egg whites and salt until the miixture form satiny peaks. Keep beating the egg whites while adding sugar little at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny. Sprinkle over the corn flour, vinegar (and vanilla extract, if using). Fold in gently.

Form round meringues on the trays lined with baking paper, around 10 cm a cross and 1.5 cm high. Make an indentation in the middle of every pavlova with the back of a spoon. Put in the trays in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 150°C. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the Pavlovas inside for 1.5-2 hours.

Serve the Pavlovas with whipped cream, fresh fruit and a nice fruit syrup.

Mini Pavlova with different fruits (“Frukt och Bär”, the new frozen fruit mixture from Ica, and blackberries) together with raspberry syrup and whipped cream.

18 Responses to “Mini Pavlovas”

1. leonine19
    March 6th, 2007 22:12

One thing to say:excellent!

2. Fabienne
    March 6th, 2007 22:37

Oh, c’est réellement sublime, si gourmand, gorgeous !

3. Cathy
    March 7th, 2007 09:28

C’est superbe ! gourmand comme j’aime !

4. Anne
    March 7th, 2007 09:36

Oh, great photos, and it sounds very yummy! But hey, I was looking forward to that cake! Where did you find it? Maybe I should give it a go for the Tupperware party? :)

5. Rosa
    March 7th, 2007 10:04

Your pavlovas look wonderful! I bet they taste great…

6. Brilynn
    March 7th, 2007 18:35

Mmmm pavlova!
    I really think I’m going to try making donuts after seeing your last post. I’ve never done it before.

March 7th, 2007 22:12

leonine: Yes, they are definitly excellent :-)

Fabienne: Très gourmand, ou vous pouvez diminuer la quantité de crème :-)

Cathy: Délicieux et gourmand! :-D

Anne: Thanks! It’s from Jan Hedhs “Desserter”. It has a kernel consisting of mango brûlée, surrounded with chocolate mousse and covered in chocolate jelly and pieces of chocolate crisp.

rosa: Thanks. They were wonderful :-)

Brilynn: Good luck with your doughnuts! Just don’t forget to post about them :-)

8. Anne
    March 8th, 2007 10:01

Oh, *that’s* where I recognized it from.. umm.. well, I think I’ll wait until you’ve made it. *smile* :)

9. the chocolate lady
    March 8th, 2007 16:58

Oh, so pretty!

what uncontainable juiciness!

10. Monika Korngut
    March 9th, 2007 16:52

I didn’t know that this dessert is some how related to the Russian ballerina. Very insightful.

I love this dessert, its so yummy. I have been meaning to make it for a long time… I still didn’t get to it, but when I do I will keep in mind to add white wine vinegar…
    Thanks,

11. ParisBreakfasts
    March 11th, 2007 16:11

I’ve read so much about these…
    Surely there must be an Australian/NZ outpost making these in NYC…
    sigh..

12. Linda
    March 14th, 2007 22:07

wow these look amazing. love the photos. i can’t wait to try this out. i’m thrilled to have found your blog!!!

March 17th, 2007 14:19

Anne: I’ll give the cake another try, some day :-)

The chocolate lady: Thanks.

Monika: The white winegar really helps, if you want them to be cheewy of course.

ParisBreakfasts: They are really easy to bake, so you don’t even have to search for a bakery :-)

Linda: Thanks and Welcome!

14. Nigella Lawson
    February 25th, 2008 14:04

Hi there…I Googled for nigella lawson cookbook, but found your page about Mini Pavlovas…and have to say thanks. nice read.

15. Lucy Jaspersen
    December 14th, 2008 03:31

I love pavlovas! My mother used to make a pavovla “pie crust” or tart, which she then filled with ganache,chocolate mousse,cinnamon-flavored whip cream, with orange zest and chocolate shavings on top! To live and die for! Has anyone ever had this and do they have a recipe? I think I could probably figure it out without one, but would love to hear!

16. david armstrong
    February 25th, 2009 21:39

your pavlovas have bad presentation bad piping too much going on lose the rasberry syrup and learne to cut fruit nicely overall your presentation is bad i should know im sdudying catering in colledge and thats not up to proffessional standard sorry i wouldnt serve that in my restaurant and im only 16

17. david armstrong
    February 25th, 2009 21:41

and also your ingredients arent fresh they look pail and horrible