White chocolate panna cotta with passion fruit

Apart from the weekend, I’ve had a really bad week. It started on Monday morning when my hair dryer started to burn (!), then I got lost 2 days in a row when trying to find my way to a project kick off. The first time they had to call for a taxi so I would get there on time and the second time I took a completely wrong subway line without noticing it as I read the newspaper and when I finally came back to my origin station the correct train was really delayed. As I was so late they had to call me on my cell phone for the status meeting I had to attend and at the same time a whole kindergarten group came on board the train so it was impossible to hear anything. During the week I’ve also been ill and the last thing I did was to drop and break an porcelain lid belonging to an old casseroule which Fredrik has had since he was a kid, but at least I didn’t burn my hand :-)

Anyway, a lousy week requires a nice treat so during the weekend I made white chocolate panna cotta with passion fruit. Sweet, creamy, rich with a tangy contrast thanks to the passion fruit. Panna cotta is Italian for cooked cream and it’s really simple to make, I prefer using as little gelatine as possible so this panna cotta has to be served in glasses as it’s too loose to be unmolded. Vegans can substitute powdered agar-agar for gelatin using equal amounts.

White chocolate panna cotta with passion fruit
    (serves 3-4)

300 ml double cream
    100 ml milk
    0.5 vanilla pod, cut it in half lenghtwise and scrape out the seeds.
    1 tbsp caster sugar
    100 gram white chocolate, chopped
    1 tsp gelatine powder + 1 tbsp water

3-4 passion fruits (one for each serving)

Combine gelatine with water, set aside. Combine cream, milk, vanilla and sugar in a pan. Heat until the mixture is warm. Remove the mixture from the heat, add the chocolate and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the gelatine and whisk until it’s dissolved. Pour the panna cotta evenly in 3-4 glasses. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. When time to serve, cut the passion fruits in halv and scoop fruit flesh over the panna cottas.

14 Responses to “White chocolate panna cotta with passion fruit”

1. Per
    January 29th, 2007 00:09

Found your blog today. I really like the recepies and the pictures are really nice too…

I’m kind of new to the foodblogging community but i already like it :D

/Per

2. Anne
    January 29th, 2007 08:04

Wow, here’s to a better week for both of us! That sounded really awful. The panna cotta however, sounds delicious :)

3. leonine19
    January 29th, 2007 08:07

don’t really like white chocolate but your pannacotta seems so appetizing, miam!

January 29th, 2007 10:36

Oooo – panna cotta was on my 2007 resolutions list:) We’ve tried two versions already, but are still keen to try many more, so I’m going to bookmark this!

5. sylvie
    January 30th, 2007 08:57

Superbe !

6. Tika Blue
    January 31st, 2007 05:40

Just wanted to let you know that I stumbled upon your site over a year ago and love to read about your country and your cats…I too have cats (2-very spoiled) and love to cook (actually baking is more fun). My dad’s family is originally from Sweden so I feel that connection too. I see you have been to Chicago, we live about 6 hours north of there.
    Keep up the good work…I’ll keep checking in often. It’s a little like a soap opera, I have to just see how you and your cats are doing. I have tried some of your recipes, or have been inspired to try something new.
    Tika
    ^..^
    >(`,)

7. Scott at Realepicurean
    February 3rd, 2007 23:46

I love Panna Cotta. I also love passion fruit, so great combination.

I have a passion flower with some strange fruits growing on it in the garden, and am angry to find (after a Google search) that although edible, they apparently taste rubbish :(

February 4th, 2007 12:49

Per: Hi Per and welcome to the food blogging community! Thanks for your compliments!

Anne: I hope that it’s better with your tooth!

leonine19: Thanks! It surely is delicious.

Pille: Oh, already twice! Wow!

Sylvie: Merci!

Tika Blue: Hi! Thanks, it’s always so nice to hear from readers and I’m glad that I’ve been able to inspire you!

Scott: I’m actually keen on planting a passion flower, but if they taste rubbish it won’t be the same thing… But there must be some variants that give good tasting fruit?

9. Linnéa
    February 13th, 2007 22:20

Åh, vilket underbart recept. Måste provas!

February 14th, 2007 21:03

Linnéa: Det är supertgott och superenkelt! :-)

11. Russell Hilliard
    November 30th, 2007 17:16

Hey Dagmar,

I’ve really enjoyed reading your blogs which I stumbled across whilst doing a google search for white chocolate panna cottas.

Just used your recipe above and they seem delicious! (doing them with raspberrys).

Also this morning made your bilberry muffins (with blueberrys).

Hooray for you and thanks for the recipes.

Russ in London
    x

12. Harsh Ranjan
    February 26th, 2009 15:06

Dark chocolate is produced by adding fat and sugar to cacao. It is chocolate without milk as an additive. It is sometimes called “plain chocolate”. The U.S.

Government has no definition for dark chocolate, only “sweet chocolate”, which requires a 15% concentration of chocolate liquor. Sweet chocolate is not

necessarily dark chocolate as there is no restriction of milk in it. European rules specify a minimum of 35% cocoa solids

13. alexmedv