Ice chocolate

Ice chocolate, to the left with almonds and to the right with walnuts.

Ice chocolate, ischoklad, is a typical Swedish Christmas candy which is made really easily. I must admit that I have no clue where the name comes from, maybe because you have to store these chocolates in the fridge or else they’ll melt.

Ice chocolate (ischoklad)
    (makes about 45)

200 gr chocolate
    80 gr copha (Swe: kokosfett, Eng: Palmin)
    45 tiny aluminium cups
    optional: your favourite nuts
    optional: orange liquor

Break the chocolate into pieces and put it in a deep heatproof bowl together with the copha. Melt them at a rather low temperature in the microwave. Stir the mixture and pour it into the aluminium cups.
    I usually fill up 25 of the cups, then I add some drops of orange liquor to the rest of the mixture and fill the remaining cups. Add nuts. Store in the fridge, in airtight containers with a sheet of greaseproof paper between each layer.

11 Responses to “Ice chocolate”

1. Fabienne
    December 23rd, 2006 21:55

Waou, it’s gorgeous !

2. Ron
    December 24th, 2006 06:24

Wesolych Swiat! Wszyskiego najlepsiego w Nowym Roku! I do hope you have a wonderful time with your family at Wigilia and on Christmas Day too! I have really enjoyed your blog and read it whenever I get the chance. My tangerine tree is at peak season now so I will have some wonderful citrus fruit for the holidays! I also picked my last Key Lime on Saturday…I am sure you can recommend some creative ways to use the tangerine bounty.(If you recall, I also celebrate wigilia, so I will be able to add tangerine slices to the kompot. I am adding kutia to the table this year; it is similar to the rice with raisins my babcia spoke about from her childhood; I am reconnecting with that great Polish culinary heritage. (I did find mention of rice with raisins on an internet search but it was too late to contact the source: the city of Poznan. I will approach that city’s cultural affairs office in the New Year; perhaps they will be able to provide a recipe)…jeszcze raz, wszyskiego najlepsiego!

December 24th, 2006 13:43

Ron: Nawzajem! Wesolych Swiat!! Thanks a lot, I hope that you’ll have a wonderful Christmas as well. Sorry for not emailing you but I actually asked about the rice dish at a Polish food forum and everyone suggested kutia as there’s a variant with rice instead. Nobody knew about any other dish that could be the one you were asking for.

Oh, so now it’s time for the tangerine bounty… That’s wonderful and I really envy you!! :-) Take care!

4. Scott at Realepicurean
    December 26th, 2006 14:10

Jak Ron powiedział – wesołych świąt Dagmar! These look beautiful, and great to hand around at Christmas. Chocolate and orange is of course a beautiful combination.

5. Simonetta
    December 27th, 2006 12:36

Dagmar, Best Wishes of a Wondeful and Full-of-Nice-Things 2007!

January 1st, 2007 14:25

Scott z zona: Dziekuje! Mam nadzieje ze Wy tez mieliscie wesolych Swiat!

Simonetta: Thanks so much! I wish you the same!

7. Kasia
    November 3rd, 2007 21:02

Witaj Dagmaro. Jak zapewne widzisz, jestem z Polski i wprost uwielbiam Twojego bloga :) A te czekoladki… prześliczne. Aż mnie korci, żeby się trochę wysilić i zrobić coś podobnego :) Pozdrawiam, Kasia.

November 4th, 2007 23:29

Kasia: Witam! Bardzo dziekuje!!!

9. Borek Dvoracek
    September 9th, 2008 10:29

Hallo,

This is a nice recipe!
    I can help you concerning its name…
    It is indeed not because of storing it in a fridge…, but because of coconut fat in it.
    It has a slight “cooling” effect (=feeling) when melting in your mouth (physically it is caused by its “negative melting heat” = absorbs a heat from its surounding, which needs for its melting..).
    This effect gave the name to all this kind of chocolates and fillings.

Whishing you all the best and a lot of super recipes!!

Best regards,
    Borek D.

10. basia
    November 27th, 2008 17:12

Dagmaro co to jest “copha” po polsku bo mam problem z przetlumaczeniem :-) dziekuje z góry za odpowiedz

November 28th, 2008 12:59

Basia: To jest tluszcz kokosowy. Powodzenia!

Borek: Thanks for the information