Kärleksmums or Snoddas or Mocha Squares

I can promise you that no matter which Swedish café you’ll enter, they will most probably have kärleksmums. It’s a typical Swedish cake, which translates to the cute name love yummies. In the book Sju sorters kakor (Swedish cakes and cookies, which you can win here) they are called Snoddas and some people even call them Mocha Squares, but I’ve always called them love yummies becuase that’s what they are :-) They are not as rich and dense as the rather similar chocolate gingerbread from Nigella; but they are much lighter and have a rather mild chocolate taste. I really like the frosting and my mother often use the frosting from this recipe on other cakes and cookies.

Kärleksmums / Snoddas / Mocha Squares
    (makes 30-35 pieces. Recipe from “Sju sorters kakor” aka “Swedish cakes and cookies)

cake:

2 tsp cold coffee
    1 tbsp cocoa, sifted
    2 tsp vanilla sugar
    350 ml icing sugar

garniture:
    shredded coconut

Heat the oven to 175 degrees C.

Melt the butter and let it cool. Whip the eggs and sugar until white and fluffy. Add the dry ingredients varied with the milk and the butter. Pour the batter into a buttered and breaded rectangular pan, about 30 X 40 cm.

Bake the cake in the lower part of the oven for about 15 minutes but not too long as you don’t want a dry cake.

Let the cake cool. In the meantime melt the butter for the frosting. Add the remaining ingredients. Spread the frosting over the cake and sprinkle a lot of shredded coconot. Cut the cake in squares.

9 Responses to “Kärleksmums or Snoddas or Mocha Squares”

1. Anne
    December 16th, 2006 17:17

Oh, that is one of the cutest plates I’ve ever seen. :) (and hey, cake looks great too. This was the first thing Per cooked for me. And the last. No, just kidding. But it was a very noticeable first.) :)

2. Brilynn
    December 16th, 2006 18:55

That’s the best name ever!

December 17th, 2006 22:20

Anne: How sweet of Per!!! The plate actually has a matching espresso cup with a zebra head… *lol* Fredrik bought it when he was working on Modern Combat. The whole design team bought weird animal espresso cups and plates which they used for their coffee during the whole project :-)

Brilynn: Yes, it’s so cute :-)

4. Pene
    December 19th, 2006 17:17

In the English version of this book they are called ‘Choco-Coco Squares’. They are pictured on the front end-papers. I might even add some Kama when I get a chance to bake. Our kitchen is under renovations & I can’t use the oven or stove-top.

December 20th, 2006 12:05

Pene: Thanks for telling me. But what a bad name to choose, they should have called them love yummies :-)

6. Nicolette
    December 31st, 2006 06:29

How exciting to see a recipe cooked from Sju sorters kakor, which my mother in law sent me last year. I haven’t tried anything yet though since I must force my husband to translate all the recipes! I’ll give some a go though, and hopefully learn some swedish soon!

January 1st, 2007 14:31

Nicolette: There are many nice recipes in the book so I really hope that your husband will help you with translating them.