Chocolate Gingerbread

This heavy and rich chocolate gingerbread is from Nigella’s “Feast”. I bought the book very recently and this is actually the first recipe which I’ve tried. I’m not a big chocolate cake lover, but this was great. It’s perfect with a glass of cold milk, but be prepared to enter a chocolate coma if you even try to eat more than one piece :-) As this is a kind of Christmas cake due to all the spices I used Julmust instead of Ginger Ale for the frosting. Julmust is a Swedish softdrink closely associated with Christmas and it was perfect, you can feel a vague hint of it when eating the cake. To the cake I added some chili (inspired by Esurientes) and some cardamom, but feel free to exclude them even if I do recommend the chili!

Chocolate Gingerbread
    (from Nigella’s “Feast”. The recipe can also be found on her homepage)
    Makes about 12 slabs.

FOR THE CAKE:
    175 gr unsalted butter
    125 gr dark muscovado sugar
    2 tbsp caster sugar
    200 gr golden syrup (I used “ljus sirap”)
    200 gr black treacle or molasses (I used “brödsirap” as I didn’t have anything darker at hand)
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    2 tbsp warm water
    2 eggs
    250 ml milk
    275 gr plain flour
    40 gr cocoa
    175 gr chocolate chips (I used about 85 gr of 80 % dark chopped chocolate and 85 gr of chocolate chips – 55 %)

Myself I also added:
    1 tsp cardamom
    1 tsp cayenne powder

FOR THE ICING:
    250 gr icing sugar
    30 gr unsalted butter
    1 tbsp cocoa
    60 ml ginger ale (I used “Julmust” *lol*)

Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/170C and tear off a big piece of baking parchment to line the bottom and sides of a roasting pan of approximately 30 x 20 x 5 cm deep.

In a decent-sized saucepan, melt the butter along with the sugars, golden syrup, treacle or molasses, cloves, cinnamon and ground ginger. In a cup dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the water. Take the saucepan off the heat and beat in the eggs, milk and bicarb in its water. Stir in the flour and cocoa and beat with a wooden spoon to mix. Fold in the chocolate chips, pour into the lined tin and bake for about 45 minutes until risen and firm. It will be slightly damp underneath the set top and that’s the way you want it.

Remove to a wire rack and let cool in the tin. Once cool, get on with the icing.

Sieve the icing sugar. In a heavy-based saucepan heat the butter, cocoa and ginger ale. Once the butter’s melted, whisk in the confectioners’ sugar. Lift the chocolate gingerbread out of the tin and unwrap the paper. Pour over the icing just to cover the top and cut into fat slabs when set.

15 Responses to “Chocolate Gingerbread”

1. awoz
    November 21st, 2006 00:01

Very Tempting , Dagmar!!!!!!!

2. Brilynn
    November 21st, 2006 01:27

I’ve been enjoying Nigella’s How To Be A Domestic Goddess and am hoping someone will get me Feast for Christmas.

3. Thalie
    November 21st, 2006 04:03

Glorious association !! It seems so rich !! Isn’t it a little bit “dry” ?
    I keep the recipe nearby.

November 21st, 2006 15:20

I love the book, but my copy won’t be back from Edinburgh until Xmas – I cannot wait! The cake sounds great, and it’s good to hear that you’ve successfully substituted golden syrup and treacle, as I wouldn’t be able to find these in Estonia.
    And I LOVE julmust (as well as p2skmust) – although the name in Estonian sounds a bit cruel (‘julmus’ = cruelty, ‘julmust’ = the same in accusative case).

5. Simonetta
    November 21st, 2006 16:00

dagmar, it took me forever (and I am not the only culprit: I had a bad-internet-connection week), but I got around making a post on my sweet dumplings. Apologies for this slightly selfish comment. may I add that YOUR post is, as usual, a joy to read!

6. Scott at Realepicurean
    November 21st, 2006 18:06

Beautiful idea – chocolate and ginger always go well together.

The glass of milk in the shot adds an extra dimension to the photo too (and makes me want a glass of milk, strangely enough).

7. soulafa
    November 22nd, 2006 18:51

Very nice!! I’d love to try it soon…

November 23rd, 2006 23:18

Awoz: If you like chocolate you will love this.

Brilynn: I hope that you’ll get it for Christmas!

Thalie: It’s moist and nice. Just make sure not to overbake it.

Pille: Must is great! I love it but I agree on the cruelty! :-)

Simonetta: Oh, great! I’ll will check it out!

Scott: Thanks!

Soulafa: Do try it, you won’t be dissapointed!

9. Grignote et Barbotine
    January 6th, 2007 21:53

It must be terrible ! Chocolate + ginger great association.

10. Dustin
    November 10th, 2009 21:16

Very nice website and Article! Thanks!

11. Peter
    February 15th, 2010 21:47

Dear Dagmar, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this recipe. I have made it twice. The tricky bit (I think) is when you have to add the egg to the melted butter and sugars – too hot and hasty and it will scramble. Even the second time, when I spent a good 5 minutes cooling the mixture by stirring it with the base submerged in cold water, the yolk nearly poached. Just about rescued it each time though.

Without the icing you get a lovely glossy finish and if you chill it, it cuts really cleanly. If you like, you can even use it as building blocks!

12. Theresa
    January 15th, 2012 20:18

I would love it if I could make this , and had someone who could translate the measurements into the kind that us good old Americans are used to using, cups, tablespoons, etc. Thank you

January 22nd, 2012 23:48

Dear Theresa. I always use http://www.google.com when I convert measurements. Have you tried that? Just write “100 ml in cups” in the search box and you’ll get a conversion, in this case “100 ml = 0.422675284 US cups”. I hope this helps.