Overnight Breakfast Buns

I like freshly baked bread for my Saturday morning breakfast, but I refuse to start the day with getting up early to bake it. The problem is solved by preparing the bread before going to sleep and letting it rise slowly in the fridge overnight. In the morning you just heat the oven and then put in the baking sheet with your already prepared buns! Just make sure that your baking sheet fits in the fridge :-) The recipe is from ICA.

Breakfast buns
    (makes 10 small ones).

12,5 gr fresh yeast (1/4 parcel of a 50 gr fresh yeast)
    2 dl cold water
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 dl rye flour
    4-5 dl flour with extra protein (“Vetemjöl Special”)

garniture:
    water
    sesame seeds
    poppy seeds

In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in a small part of the water. Add the rest of the water, oil and salt. Combine and add the flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon until the dough holds it shape and is smooth. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide the dough into 10 parts. If the dough is too sticky, then add some more flour. Make 10 small buns and put them on a parchment lined baking sheet. If you’re worried that everything will stick then sprinkle some flour both under and over the buns. Cover the baking sheet with a kitchen towel and put it in the fridge.

In the morning, take out the baking sheet from the fridge. Then heat the oven to 250 degrees C. Brush the buns with water and sprinkle half of them with sesame seeds and the remaining ones with poppy seed or what ever you have in your cupboard. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

15 Responses to “Overnight Breakfast Buns”

1. Brilynn
    November 18th, 2006 21:44

Those look perfect! And I love that your cat is named Yoshi.

2. Mayacook
    November 19th, 2006 10:02

I use the same method..it’s so good to have fresh bread in the morning! yours look really good!

3. Emy
    November 19th, 2006 15:11

I want then same one for my breakfast (sorry for my english)…

November 19th, 2006 23:46

Brilynn: Thanks!

Mayacook: I will use this method more times, it’s perfect!

Emy: They are very easy to bake and they make a great breakfast!

5. margot
    November 20th, 2006 14:24

ale piękne,piękne

mąką pszenna i żytnia?

November 20th, 2006 23:23

Margot: Dzieki!
    To maka Grahama i maka zwykla (ale z dodadtkowa proteina). Buleczki sie szykuje wieczorem na blache ktora sie wstawia do lodowki! Buleczki pomalo sobie rosna w lodowce przez noc. Rano blache prosto do pieca i po 10 minut sa swieze buleczki na sniadanie :-)

7. Michelle
    December 1st, 2006 15:09

This sounds like something even I could make. I’m SO making these! Thanks for posting!! I’ll let you know how they come out!! :) By the way, I found you through Pille’s Nami-Nami.

December 4th, 2006 10:32

Michelle:
    They are really easy to bake, so there shouldn’t be any problems.

9. Malin
    December 8th, 2006 10:41

Hej hej, måste bara hälsa att jag provade att baka dessa frukostbullar i veckan. De var jätte goda, å så enkelt det var att förbereda på kvällen och bara stoppa in i kylskåpet. Enda missen jag gjorde var att jag omedvetet låg och tänkte på att jag skulle gå upp och sätta på ugnen det första jag borde göra för att hinna med alla morgonrutiner. Men men jag kom upp på morgonen och glömde inte att sätta på ugnen och fick njuta av varma frukostbullar. Mums!

December 9th, 2006 21:24

Hej Malin! Vad kul att du tyckte om dem! kram

11. Lovefrom1stbite
    September 1st, 2008 09:46

Thanks for these buns they look very delicious.I ve a question though, how many grams are in 1 dl? because what I know is that it’s for measuring liquids not solid..

September 1st, 2008 19:55

Lovefrom1stbite:

2 dl flour = 200 ml = 120 gram. Dl and ml measuring cups are used for both liquids and solid in Sweden, just like cups in the US.

13. lovefrom1stbite
    September 3rd, 2008 12:01

thanks a lot for your help :)

14. Marget
    June 6th, 2009 21:03

I just put these into the fridge, but I just used the regular flour ( didn’t have any rye flour).It was really easy to make and even better idea to do it in the evening and they are ready for oven in the morning-just great! Lets hope they taste well, even if I used only regular flour:)

15. Marget
    June 7th, 2009 10:20

They did taste really good, my eight year daughter glorified these also, anyway I’m going to buy rye flour and next time I will try this way also. Thanks and Best Regards:)