Rhubarb and pineapple pie

Rhubarb and pineapple are two of my favourite fruits. When we went for groceries a couple of days ago I almost started to scream when I saw that they had rhubarb. It was expensive but sometimes you just need rhubarb desperately! I thought a long time what I should do with my precious rhubarb and I finally decided to make a variant of a recipe on rhubarb and pineapple pie from RecipeZaar. The pie is a bit tart, which I love, and it goes perfectly with vanilla ice cream. I’ve changed all amounts and use my own recipe for pie crust.

Rhubarb and pineapple pie

dough:
    550 ml flour
    200 gr butter
    4 tbsp cold water
    6 tsp icing sugar

filling:
    500 gr rhubarb
    350 gr pineapple rings (one can)
    50 gr flour
    200 gr icing sugar

to serve:
    ice cream
    icing sugar

Combine the flour, sugar and butter to a grainy mixture. Add the water and combine to a soft dough. Put aside 1/5 of the dough (put it in the fridge) and press the rest over the bottom and sides of a spring form. Place the spring form in the fridge for 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 200 °C and then bake for 10 minutes.

Slice the rhubarb into 0.5 cm wide pieces, cut the pineapple rings into similar sized pieces. Put the fruit in a bowl, add flour and sugar. Stir. Pour everything into the pie shell.

Roll the remaining dough until thin. Cut into strips and place them over the filling in a nice pattern.

Bake the pie in 175° C on bottom rack for 50 minutes until browned and the rhubarb is cooked (the pineapple will remain rather firm). Sprinkle icing sugar and serve with ice cream.

7 Responses to “Rhubarb and pineapple pie”

1. LittleGuyBigKitchen
    November 13th, 2006 10:49

wow… nice pie and nice image. can i reference your pie recipe and other recipes in my blog? thank you in advance. you can use any of mine. thanks.

November 13th, 2006 14:47

LittleGuy: Hi. No, it\’s not OK to just take my photo. Can you please remove my photos from your site (including all the old ones which I now found when I was looking at your site). Thanks.

You can still post the recipes if you link to me, but I still don\\\’t want my photos elsewhere than on my blog.

3. LittleGuyBigKitchen
    November 13th, 2006 15:13

Oh, well I’ve taken off the entire post. A recipe without a pic, doesn’t goes well. I don’t mind having just a picture without the recipes which other bloggers allowed me to do so. Sorry about that. My apologies to you.

4. Fabienne
    November 13th, 2006 20:45

Oh, it’s really gorgeous and i like rhubarb too

5. Scott at Realepicurean
    November 13th, 2006 23:42

I really, really love rhubarb, in any form. Which reminds me, there’s a bottle of Rhubarb Wine in the fridge that needs drinking…

November 15th, 2006 21:17

LitteGuy: Sorry, but I just didn’t like the idea of my photo and post coming up on another blog within 12 hours of my own posting. In that case I just could have posted on your blog directly! I’ve “borrowed” my photos to other people earlier, but in this case not.

Fabienne: Thanks. Rhubard is lovely!

Scott: Rhubarb wine??? I want that :-)

7. Marianna
    August 30th, 2007 15:55

Hello! What is the practice with pictures and recipes? If I refer to yours in my blog or elsewhere would not be enough to give credit to the author? Like: This picture is taken from….and the recipe is from the site…..and add a link to it. I guess that this way everyone wins something. What is your opinion on this?