Knedle ze śliwkami (dumplings with plums)

Many countries have their own versions of potato based dumplings; kroppkakor in Sweden, Klöße in Germany, Knödeln in Austria and so on. In Poland there are many dumpling variants made of boiled potatoes. We have the ones with savoury filling “Pyzy“, the sweet ones “knedle” and “kopytka” which are not filled with anything at all. Some people would probably want to add “pierogi” to the above dumpling list, but their dough normally doesn’t contain any boiled potatoes (apart from the filling) so they don’t really belong here.

Knedle ze śliwkami is typical Polish sweet dish, often eaten as a sweet dinner. The Polish kitchen isn’t always healthy… :-) Normally the dumpling dough is made of boiled potatoes, but I found a variant made out of quark (my middlename should be quark…) on the Polish food forum which I read. The result was excellent, and even Fredrik really liked these dumplings.

Knedle ze śliwkami
(makes 12, serves 4)

Dough:
250 gr quark (don’t use Kesella as it’s too runny; I made my own quark)
1 egg
120-130 gr flour
2 tablespoons of melted butter

Filling:
12 small sweet plums
12 tsp caster sugar

For serving:
melted butter
caster sugar
cinnamon

Wash the plums, pat dry and stone by cutting a gash. Stuff each plum with one teaspoon of sugar.

Boil water in a large pot.

Prepare dough in a bowl by mixing all ingredients. Work dough until firm, if the dough is too sticky add some flour. Divide the dough into 12 pieces, then flatten each piece with your hands and wrap it around each plum.

The plums should be completely covered with dough.

Put the knedle in boiling water, 6 at a time or less depending of the size of your pot. When they start floating carefully boil for about 8 minutes until you think that the plums are soft. Take out the dumplings carefully with a slotted spoon. Pour melted butter over the knedle and sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon.

17 Responses to “Knedle ze śliwkami (dumplings with plums)”

1. awoz
    November 5th, 2006 16:23

Hello,

I love dumplings and I am Polish myself.
    But I never tasted one made with white cheeese.
    It’s sounds delicious…..
    It makes me think of ”leniwe kluski”

Have a good day

November 6th, 2006 10:26

I saw something similar over at Delicious:Days recently (I think Nicky steamed hers), and now here. I’m really tempted to try them now, as they look really delicious!

3. angelika
    November 6th, 2006 12:11

Oh Dagmar this is so AUSTRIAN. All these tyically “Austrian” dishes – dumplings made of curd or potato dough, filled or unfilled, are the heritage from the Bohemian cuisine, just in between Austria and Poland ! Mouthwatering post…. Thank you also for commenting on my blog. Have a good day !

4. Scott at Real Epicurean
    November 7th, 2006 17:42

Pille: I saw the ones at delicious:days too, but these are different – and much more authentic (of course both are beautiful).

Sa bardzo piekne tez!

5. Ange
    November 8th, 2006 00:14

My Polish grandma used to make us pierogi all the time & we had them filled with potatoes & fried onions 90% of the time so I guess it all depends on where you came from & what is passed down in your family. I absolutely love them slathered in sour cream!

6. Edyta
    November 8th, 2006 13:12

są piękne. w moim domu nie ma tradycji pierogów, knedli itp, tym bardziej spróbuję je zrobić, zwłaszcza że są z twarogu :) pozdrawiam

7. Joyce
    November 8th, 2006 13:59

I live in the U.S. and sometimes use low-fat plain yoghurt, drained for several hours in a coffee filter lined strainer for recipes using cream cheese. I’m going to try your recipe using the yoghurt cheese. Our buttermilk would just not be thick enough.

8. Simonetta
    November 8th, 2006 17:30

Dagmar,
    it’s such a good post. It brought back memories of my grandmother cooking a recipe from Istria (once Italian, now part of Croatia) when I was a child. Her sweet potato dumplings filled with jam were a piece of poetry. I actually want to make a post about them… and in Feb I am planning a post on the traditional potato dumplings we do in Verona to celebrate the end of Carnival before Lent. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

November 8th, 2006 22:21

awoz:
    I don’t like leniwe kluski but I do like leniwe pierogi :-)

Pille:
    I had to look up her post after reading your comment and they were quite similar except of the ingredients and the fact that she steemed hers. I didn’t even know that it was possible to steam them :-)

Ange:
    We eat pierogi as well. We make them with saurcraut/mushrooms or quark/potatoes/onion.
    My mother never filled them with potatoes only but she told me that my dear grandmother only filled them with potatoes in the poor old times. I actually tried pierogi with potato/onion filling just some weeks ago at a russian restaurant and they were delicious!

Scott:
    Bardzo dziekuje!

Edyta:
    Slicznie dziekuje. Sa naprawde bardzo smaczne, napewno dzieki twarogu :-)

Joyce:
    I’m unsure if your yoghurt cheese will give you a good result for this recipe, but it’s worth a try.

Simonetta,
    Thanks! Your grandmother’s dumplings sounds lovely. I’m looking forward reading a post about them and the traditional potato dumplings!

10. Isabella
    December 6th, 2007 13:51

Nooooo! I can’t belive it. I use to it them while I was studing in Cracowa. Why I am on a diet ?!!!!!! I enjoyed so much my staying either in Sweden than in Poland that now you make me feel homeseek… I try to keep my blog both in Italian and in english and I linked you immediately.If I do the recipe may I put the translation?
    Ciao Isabella

11. Maktaaq
    December 13th, 2007 07:51

This is a Romanian recipe as well! My mother makes these for me, in fact when I go back next week to see her at Christmas I will ask her if we can find some canned plums!

12. KARIM
    April 27th, 2008 17:34

I will be very pleaused to receive ”Knedle ze śliwkami” in franch langage.

April 27th, 2008 20:47

Isabella: I didn’t see your comment until now. Please translate if you want to.

Maktaaq: I think this kind of dish is very popular in many central and eastern european countries.

Karim: My French is very rusty, so please use Babelfish for translation: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish

14. Aklat
    September 18th, 2008 17:28

I made them yesterday and they were delicious. I think it will be one of my favourite autumn dish:)

15. Lilly
    January 14th, 2010 22:08

I am so happy to have found your blog! Today I mentioned your blog on my most recent post and these lovely knedle.
    So happy to have found someone who enjoys Polish food as much as I do.
    Smiles, Lilly

16. 1 Week Diet
    April 30th, 2010 13:52

nice submit, this may increasingly help me with some odd stuff i ought to do for varsity, thanks my friend

17. kasia
    September 20th, 2010 18:14

hi :) these dumplings look amazing! i am Polish and living in arizona and there is nothing Polish about this state. We have 2 small stores and that’s it. I do not know how to cook polish but I am learning. When I lived in Chicago Polish food was all around me and I really miss it. I would eat polish food every day if I had the time to cook. Thanks for providing this recipe and I will check out all the other ones you have on here.