How to make your own quark-curd

Quark-curd

Quark is a kind of soft cream cheese often used in Polish recipes and you’vre probably noticed that I use it a lot, especially in cheesecakes as I’m used to eastern european cheesecakes with quark instead of cream cheese. The problem is that in Sweden we only have Kesella. Kesella works rather well in some recipes but for most dishes it’s just too watery and runny. Some dishes calls for compact quark, and that you solve by making it yourself. This is just the base recipe, when you’re done you can use this homemade quark in cheesecakes (maybe a Tiramisù cheesecake or raspberry cheesecake brownies, pierogi (a sort of Polish tortellini), pancakes (either Polish ones or pancakes that melt in your mouth) or other dishes. Or you can just add some of your favourite spices and put it on a piece of bread together with some tomato slices and you have yourself a delicious sandwich. In day or two I will post another great dish which calls for this homemade quark.

Quark-curd
(makes about 400 gr)

2 litres of filmjölk 3% (Kefir should work as well)

Pour the filmjölk into an ovenproof container.

Heat the oven to 100 degrees C. Put the container into the oven for about 1 hour.

It’s done when the quark-curd has thickened slightly and begun to separate from the whey. Be aware that you need to carefully stir with a spoon to see if the whey has separated or not.

Cover a large sieve with a clean kitchen towel (sterilized with boiling water!) and pour everything in the container onto the towel. Let drain for at least 1 hour, preferably longer.

Then take the whole kitchen towel and try to drain the last by hand, squeezing firmly. Keep the quark-curd in the fridge until you need it.

Quark-curd, ready to eat.

23 Responses to “How to make your own quark-curd”

1. Noneng
    November 2nd, 2006 16:50

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for about a month. I think it’s really great! I’ve just started seriously food blogging myself. I hope you don’t mind that I’ve linked my blog to yours.

2. Scott at Realepicurean
    November 3rd, 2006 15:06

Excellent idea, very original. It’s something I’ve been thinking of trying lately, too.

3. simon
    November 5th, 2006 03:51

Hi never would have imagined it would be so easy – definitely will give it a try but I don’t know if I can track down filmjölk here in NY. I love your blog by the way. I also blog at plateoftheday.com

November 5th, 2006 15:18

Nonen:
    Thanks! I’ll take a look at your blog!

Scott:
    My mother does this all the time and it’s really simple.

Simon:
    It’s very easy to make, but I’m sorry that I don’t know the perfect equivalent milk for you to use. I’ll take a look at your blog!

5. Susan
    November 15th, 2006 17:08

Hi– I think the US equivalent of filmjölk is kefir. In any case I plan to try your method over the weekend so I’ll let you know how it turns out.

November 15th, 2006 21:18

Susan: Yes, of course! Kefir! Why didn’t I think of that. We have it here as well. That should work really well but let me know how it turns out! Good luck!

7. Jessica
    December 22nd, 2006 04:51

I was just about to write and say the same as Susan–kefir is the English/US equivalent of filmjolk–and easy to get (well, relatively). Since she already told you this, I’d just like to say I love your blog! It’s really lovely. It makes me think of one of my favorite restaurants in Washington, DC: W Domku (I might have that wrong a little), which specialized in “Baltic” cuisine, but they really meant Swedish and Polish. It was fantastic–great food, homemade cheese, nice vodka selection …

December 23rd, 2006 18:10

Jessica:
    Thanks a lot! The restaurant seems really nice :-) “W domku” means “at home” in Polish, so I’m sure that you got the name right! Take care!

9. Lisa
    December 24th, 2006 05:50

I live just outside of Chicago. I used your instructions with kefir. I got what tasted like a slightly more tangy cream cheese. I used it in the recipe for Advent Saffron Buns from Anne’s Kitchen and now have many requests for the recipe! Thank you for clear and easy to follow instructions.

10. Lisa
    December 24th, 2006 05:52

oops… I meant Anne’s Food. Sorry!

December 24th, 2006 13:44

Lisa: I’m really glad that the recipe worked for you and that my instructions were clear! Happy Holidays!!!

12. Linda
    October 19th, 2007 00:50

I live in Australia and do not have kefir that I can buy readily. Is there a way I can make it so I can make quark?

October 21st, 2007 15:02

Linda: Hmmm, I’m sorry but I have no clue how to make kefir. However I googled and found this: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Whole-Foods-and-Cooking/2005-02-01/How-to-Make-Your-own-Yogurt-Kefir-Chevre.aspx
    I havn’t tried it though, but maybe you can find some other tips on the internet. good luck!

14. Teresa
    March 4th, 2008 21:47

How do you make just plain curd? I’ve got a recipe book from Sweden and there are a lot of recipes in the book that call for curd — which is not the same as their recipies that call for yoghourt — right? — which is totally different from sour cream — right?

15. Murside
    July 16th, 2008 12:16

Thank’s a lot for this recipe.This must be the best Quark recipe all over internet.Because the rest of it was too hard…

16. enirra
    August 20th, 2008 23:00

I hope my answer donesn’t come too late. Kefir is made by fermenting milk in kefir grains (they look similar to cauliflower florets). Fermenting time is dependant upon temperature. All you need to do is to buy some kefir grains over internet and play the game yourself.

17. Rachel
    January 7th, 2009 04:38

I’m a school student and want to make quark for my german class and i believe instead of filmjölk you can use 1 gallon of milk mixed with 5 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Boil the milk-lemon mixture so there are small bubbles formed around the pan. and then follow dagmar’s recipe.

18. sapphire
    July 17th, 2010 19:35

Okay! I just put the fil into the oven. Will update in a couple as to the success of this mission.

19. Fran