Chocolate Mousse Cake with Vanilla Vodka Marinated Raspberries

Last weekend we celebrated Fredrik’s birthday with this lovely and easy to make chocolate mousse cake. We also cooked a great japanese inspired dinner for just the two of us which I will blog about in the future. I asked Fredrik which cake he wanted and his only desire was chocolate so I decided to combine a couple of recipes which resulted in this super easy chocolate mousse cake with raspberries marinated in vanilla scented vodka. Chocolate and rasperries are a perfect match, especially when the raspberries have a hint of vanilla vodka :-) The cake turned out delicious and I’m thinking that I maybe should have spent my money on some new cook books instead of the cake class which I’m taking this weekend :-) Just kidding, I’m sure that it will be fun and that I will learn a lot of tips and tricks.

Chocolate Mousse Cake with Vanilla Vodka Marinated Raspberries

Cake:
    200 gram almond paste (or marcipan, but almond paste is better as it contains less sugar and more almonds)
    1 egg
    1 egg yolk
    1 tbsp cocoa

Filling:
    200 gram raspberries
    50 ml Cariel T & C (or any other vanilla Vodka)

Chocolate mousse:
    125 gram dark chocolate
    2 eggs
    3 tbsp icing sugar
    1 tsp vanilla scented sugar
    300 ml double/whipping cream

Pour the rasperries in a bowl and cover with vanilla vodka.

Pre-heat the oven to 175°C. Grate the almond paste and combine with the eggs and the cocoa. Pour the mixture in a buttered spring form (about 24 cm wide). Bake the cake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes. Let the cake cool. Remove the rim from the spring form and wash it up. Then put the rim back on the spring form.

Whisk the eggs and the sugar in a bowl, using an electric mixer. Melt the chocolate (I was lazy and did it in the microwave) and then pour it slowly into the bowl while you continue to whisk. Continue to whisk until the mixture has cooled. Beat the double cream in a separate bowl until it’s stiff. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, gently but thoroughly.

Place the raspberries on the cake bottom, just make sure that it’s cool first. When you’ve placed all the raspberries on the cake, a nice pink raspberry vodka mixture will appear on the bottom of the raspberry bowl. Just pour the liquid into a glass, add an ice cube and then drink it :-) After placing the raspberries on the cake bottom, cover everything with chocolate mousse. Chill the cake in the fridge for at least 3 hours.

12 Responses to “Chocolate Mousse Cake with Vanilla Vodka Marinated Raspberries”

1. Vintage Wine
    September 23rd, 2006 13:37

It looks yummy höll jag på att säga innan jag kom på att du ör svensk ;-)

Grattis till bröllopet!

September 25th, 2006 12:21

Vintage Wine:
    Tack tack!

September 27th, 2006 10:11

That sounds delicious! They make a lovely vanilla vodka back home (Viru Valge Vanilla), so I could try with that one. Or Absolut Vanilla maybe. Raspberry & chocolate are a really lovely match, so your mousse cake must be a true winner..
    I cannot wait to have my own proper kitchen again!!!

4. Shaun
    October 10th, 2006 16:19

Dagmar,
    This is a really cool recipe. I would never have thought of making anything like this, but that is probably because I don’t really make cakes that often. I will attempt this one, though. As raspberries are available throughout the year in Southern California, I am glad to know that I could have this at any moment’s notice :-) Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will let you know how mine turns out.

October 12th, 2006 11:09

Shaun,

Good luck! It’s a really easy recipe so I really recommend it!! Let me know how it turned out!

6. margot
    November 7th, 2006 18:58

no nie te ciasto ,to już za piękne!!
    Dagmara ,plisss zrób wersje po polsku…

November 8th, 2006 22:24

Margot:
    Chyba jednak bede musziala zrobic wersje Polska swojej strony :-) Postaram przetlumaczyc przepis (i ten drugi tez) w Sobote albo Niedziele.

8. margot
    November 9th, 2006 23:19

super ,fajny prezent na Gwiazdke

9. Anita
    July 5th, 2007 03:36

This was delicious! I just made this today and it was a real hit! The only change that I made was adding an additional whole egg to the cake batter along with 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup canola oil & 1 t. of baking powder. Everything else I followed as in the recipe. I will make this again for sure! Thank you!

July 7th, 2007 11:50

Anita: I’m glad that you liked it and cooking/baking is all about personalizing and changing!