Happy Easter!

Swienconka

Happy Easter!! I’m on my way to church now, with a small basket. Every year, on Holy Saturday we go to church to bless our Easter food. We prepare a Swienconka (Easter Basket), which contains samples of the Easter food. Each family decorate the basket in their own way and the most common contents of the basket are salt, pepper, bread, horseradish and boiled and painted eggs. But there are many variations. I love this tradition which is only common among Eastern European Roman-Catholics. When I was I child I put a lot of effort in painting the eggs for the basket. This year I tried to be effective and put food colour in the boiling water, but all the eggs remained white :-) For more information about possible contents in the basket, read my post from last year.

For the first time in my life I’m not celebrating with my family in Gothenburg, but one good thing is that I and Fredrik will visit his old Grandmother and we will bring Easter food, Västerbotten pie and Rhubarb cake with us. She’s really looking forward to us coming and I’m sure we’ll have a nice time. But now I have to run to the oven so that the cake won’t get burned and then we’re off to church. Happy Easter!

10 Responses to “Happy Easter!”

April 16th, 2006 12:35

Happy Easter, Dagmar! I still remember your post from last year – lots of lovely goodies in that parcel! Easter isn’t too big in Estonia, but we do paint eggs and I made a pasha this year again.
    Will you share the Västerbotten pie recipe with us? I’ve never heard of it before.

April 16th, 2006 15:56

Happy Easter to you too, Pille!

The Västerbotten pie is just like an ordinary cheese pie, except with the Swedish Västerbotten cheese. I’ll try to post about it during the coming week.

3. Cris
    April 24th, 2006 15:42

Such a lovely tradition!
    To color the eggs you can put a little pieace of raw beet in the water together with the eggs while they are cooking for pink eggs or the very external shells of an onion which will turn the eggs a bright yellow.

April 25th, 2006 09:44

Hi Cris,

I usually colour my eggs with the external shells of an onion, but can you imagine that I didn’t have any onions at home. I’ve never thought about using beets, and as a matter of fact I had beets at home. I’ll try that next year. Thanks for the tip!

5. Marie Breskic
    May 18th, 2006 09:53

Boiling white eggs with blueberries results in a sort of steely grey eggs. They look very stylish in fact!

I live in Bosnia. Here they sell special colours for eggs every easter, but I think they are used after boling the eggs.The Orthodox Christians here (bringing food to have it blessed in church is an Orthodox tradition and that is why only Eastern-European Catholics do it) use wax candles to make patterns on the eggs before colouring them.

May 24th, 2006 10:30

Hi Marie,

Thanks for your comment. In some countries they put a lot of effort on their eggs and they looks truly beautiful!

7. raymonde
    June 24th, 2006 02:01

Hello, I really love your cuisine but I’m in love with your cats. I put some pictures of them in my images. Wonderful pictures. I would like to know what kind of cat are they ? They seems to be all the same “race”. Thanks for your answer and forget my “poor” eglish
    ciao

June 25th, 2006 22:47

Hi Raymonde,
    The cats are British Shorthair (all 3 of them). It’s a wonderful breed, they have a wonderful temperament and look like cuddly little teddy bears! :-)

Take care!

9. Roman Alberto
    April 2nd, 2007 03:03

nice site

10. Bella The Maine Coon
    January 19th, 2010 14:59

LOVE your site, will come back tomorrow. When are you going to change the template you have? Oh I almost forgot, I am hosting this event on youtube. If you are a cat owner or anyone you know is would be interested to participate.