Smörgåstårta – Sandwich Cake

Smörgåstårta

Smörgåstårta, which means Sandwich Cake, is typical party food in Sweden. It’s like a large sandwich with a lot of creamy filling, just like a cake, and it is served cold. The smörgåstårta consists of several layers of bread slices (most common is toast bread) with different delicious creamy fillings. It is then decorated with mayonnaise, sea food and vegetables. The sea food smörgåstårta on the photo was made by my mother for my brother’s 40th birthday and it has two layers of creamy yummy filling. I don’t know exactly what she used, but among other ingredients there were mayonnaise, boiled eggs, crayfish tails, shrimps, asparagus, caviar and dill leafs. Delicious but far from fat free….

Smörgåstårta can be made with all sorts of fillings, but I have always prefered the sea food one that my mother makes. It’s great party food as it can be prepared in advance, it looks beautiful and it’s rather easy to make. Just use your imagination when combining fillings, but don’t forget that a dry sandwich cake that don’t have enough filling is a bad sandwich cake! :-)

Pille at Nami-Nami made a lovely Ham Sandwich Cake for New Years Eve, read her post here.

17 Responses to “Smörgåstårta – Sandwich Cake”

January 16th, 2006 15:16

Hi Dagmar – I’m so glad you posted this! I love smörgåstårta – or “võileivatort” – and made a huge one for the New Years Eve party. Now I can just post a picture and link to your site for the background information:)
    As I don’t like shrimps, then my favourite one is a smörgåstårta with ham. But your seafood sandwich cake looks beautiful!

January 16th, 2006 15:34

Pille,
    That’s great, Pille. Then I’ll add a link to your recipe as an recipe example when you’ll blog about it :-)

3. ilva
    January 17th, 2006 17:27

Dagmar, I just wanted to tell you that I tagged you for a meme! You do as you please!

January 18th, 2006 20:26

Hi Ilva,

Oh, how fun! I’ll really try to write it during next days. I also have a meme from Anne along with all the old ones…

5. indi=grrl
    July 24th, 2006 16:01

I wandered upon this by accident while looking for a luncheon sandwich cake and WOW! What a great photo, I really enjoyed your blog and am v. inspired now..but what a shame you don’t include recipes like Nordjus does…

July 24th, 2006 16:39

indi=grrl,
    Thanks. But I do include recipes, except for those dishes which I don’t make myself. The above sandwich cake was made by my mother and not me so I don’t even have an exact recipe as she does everything by heart.

7. randa
    April 13th, 2007 16:15

Thanks for the photo and description of the sandwich cake. I am throwing a baby shower in the States for a good friend originally from Sweden…and I am going to attempt to make a sandwich cake, though I have never eaten one. So, the picture is really helping me craft a plan.

April 22nd, 2007 09:04

Randa, Good luck. Just email me if you have any specific questions!

9. Marlon Roelle
    January 16th, 2010 01:07

It is great that you took your time to write this post; it’s encouraging to hear another’s opinion. I appreciate your work on this post, and I’ll come back for more information.

10. Daniell Virgo
    January 29th, 2010 09:29

I appreciate your blog very much. Will read more. Keep up to excellent work on it. Gracias

11. Delishhh
    September 14th, 2010 16:39

Awesome Sandwich cake. I just posed my recipe online.

12. Martine Westerlund
    January 1st, 2012 17:23

Hi Dagmar,

I am from Zimbabwe, now married to a Swedish man.I have had Smorgåstårta before, but only made with vispgradd. I made your Seafood Smorgåstårta yesterday for my mother-in-law for a surprise lunch we planned for her in the village, it was her 85th Birthday , everyone loved the Smorgåstårta and asked for the recipe, I have directed then to your blog ! I made a slight adjustment ,I added Philadelphia cheese to the sauce and added an extra layer with sardines, the platter was clean afterwards not a mouthful left !! THANK YOU !! Martine

January 22nd, 2012 23:43

Hi Martine,
    I’m very happy to hear about the success! I looked at the photo and it looks truly delicious! Thank for your comment! Take care!