Gingerbread Toffee

Gingerbread Toffee

More toffee? Has the girl (or cat) gone crazy? Well, I just had to try this recipe. And the result? It tastes like Gingerbread dough, yummy! You’re probably wondering why I just don’t eat Gingerbread dough instead if it tastes the same, but raw cookie dough probably isn’t good for your stomach. Not as good as sugar!!

Gingerbread Toffee
    (makes about 30-40 toffees)

100 ml double/whipping cream
    50 ml golden syrup
    100 ml sugar
    1 tsp Gingerbread spice (or just mix ground cloves, ground cinnamon and ground ginger. Just make sure that you get 1 tsp in total.)
    1 tbsp butter

Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan. Stir occasionally and boil without lid for 15-60 minutes, until the toffee batter is 122-125 ° C. If you don’t have a thermometer you can do a ball test: at that temperature a drop of the batter should solidify in water and be possible to be rolled into a little ball. On my stove this batter took 15 minutes to cook on a rather low temperature.

Put greaseproof paper on a baking sheet and grease it with unsalted butter. Pour the toffee carefully on the greaseproof paper and let it cool. Cut in pieces with a scissor and wrap each toffee individually with greaseproof paper.

This recipe makes a small amount of toffee and your baking sheet will probably be too large for this amount of toffee batter. To avoid getting too thin toffees just do like I did: I folded edges on my paper, making a kind of form. Then I poured the toffee batter into the greased paper form.

12 Responses to “Gingerbread Toffee”

December 6th, 2005 11:40

Yummy, Dagmar!!! These sound so perfect for Christmas, I’ll definitely try these if I have time during the next week or two!

2. Eggy
    December 7th, 2005 06:38

Hi
    Wanted to let you know that I just tagged you for a meme on My Top Ten Favorite Foods.I’m new to the food blogging world and have enjoyed reading your blog so I thought it would be interesting to see what your favourite foods are. Hope you have time to do it.

3. Catesa
    December 8th, 2005 17:08

Now thats a gift made with love. I want to come to your house if that is on the menu ;)

December 8th, 2005 22:59

Pille,
    You won’t be dissapointed. Just be careful with the cooking; don’t cook the batter too long nor too short :-)

Eggy,
    Thanks for tagging me. I’ll try to write the meme during the coming days. I still have a lot of catching up to do with all other memes that I’ve been tagged to… :-)

Catesa,
    You’re very welcome! My friends just left after spending the evening here and there are plenty of goodies left!!!

5. Evan
    December 11th, 2005 18:23

Im an amature candy maker myself and i definatly want to make this recipe, but what is “Golden Syrup” is that corn syrup? or something else?
    Thank you.

December 11th, 2005 20:22

Evan,

Golden Syrup is made of sugar cane. I found you a page about different syrups that you can read: http://www.foodsubs.com/Syrups.html
    At the end of that page the Swedish variant is mentioned: Swedish light syrup = ljus sirap and that is what I used in the recipe.

Anyway, according to that page, and other, you can substitute golden syrup with corn syrup. Good luck!

7. Evan
    December 13th, 2005 21:43

thanks

8. Grignote et Barbotine
    November 24th, 2006 00:09

I must try them, they look so good.
    Thank you for the recipe.
    Ca a l’air trop bon !

9. janelle
    November 27th, 2009 03:07

Hi,
    Thanks so much for this recipe. I tried it – it was absolutely succulent. The start of a whole new Christmas tradition … yum!

10. Eduardo Sims
    December 9th, 2009 00:39

Folding paper has always been my passion. Paper airplanes in particular. I’ve been trying to fold all 50 paper airplanes at paperairplaneshq.com and I’m close to folding them all. I never thought there were that many kinds.

11. Jin Mccarte
    March 2nd, 2010 21:07

Really useful post, thanks a lot. Nice blog as well! I might start my own blog shortly, do you have any advice? Whats the best host to use, Blogger or Blog engine? Jin Mccarte