First Advent

Star

Christmas is slowly approaching, and today is already first Advent. The word Advent is derived from Latin and means arrival, the arrival of our Lord . First Advent is the beginning of the ecclesiastical year and the time while awaiting the arrival of Lord Jesus Christ and Christmas. The tradition is to light one candle on the Advent candlestick, adding on a candle for each following Advent Sunday until all four candles are lit. I didn’t find our Advent candlestick today ( which is hidden somewhere in our cellar) so we just lit some normal candles instead. Yesterday we had my brother and a friend over for some Adventsfika, and we ate newly baked Gingerbread biscuits (Pepparkakor) and Saffron buns (Lussekatter). We also drank warm mulled wine (Glögg) which is very typical before and during Christmas. Glögg is served in small small mugs and if you want you can add some almonds and raisins to your mug. I will provide you with the recipe for Lussekatter in a few days, so you also will be able to bake these typical Swedish Christmas buns.

Glögg - Mulled wine

A mug of warm Glögg with almonds and raisins.

Pepparkakor, almonds and raisins.

Pepparkakor, behind them are the almonds and the raisins.

Lussekatter - Saffron Buns

Lussekatter, Saffron Buns.

The whole table

The whole Advent table, with the Glögg heater in the center.

14 Responses to “First Advent”

1. betta
    November 28th, 2005 10:34

I never think about how much I miss northern europe since christmas come! it could appear a little strange, I live in roma, in a wonderful place, but it is not the same. I lived two years in germany, for erasmus program, and I loved it sooooo much! for us, advent does not mean so much, only if you go to sicily for santa lucia you’ll find differnt cookies and recipes. but, if could choose, I will surely fly north to have a perfect Xmas time. the glogg shuold have been fantastic!

2. Annette
    November 28th, 2005 11:06

I love the new site design – and the Garfield quote!

November 28th, 2005 16:21

Hi Dagmar – I like the new design a lot, and the Moomi cookies are really adorable!
    I had some friends over for a Nordic meal last night, and afterwards we sat in front of a fireplace, drinking glögg and nibbling on spicy sugared almonds. I totally forgot that it was the first Advent, but somehow I ended up celebrating it afterall:)

November 28th, 2005 22:04

Hi Betta,
    I love Christmas. The most important for me is to eat my family’s Polish Christmas food which differs a lot from the Swedish Christmas food. I hope you will have a wonderful Christmas in Rome, and that you will be able to visit Germany sometime again.

Hi Annette,
    Thanks! I really like Garfield :-)

Hi Pille,
    Thanks! It sounds like you had a wonderful evening! I wish I had a fireplace, but I think that Glögg tastes nice at the table as well :-)

5. Barbara
    November 29th, 2005 05:35

I always wanted to celebrate St. Lucia’s Day–but no one that I know of in the states does–except maybe some of the folks in the northern midwestern states who originally came from Sweden or Norway.

Maybe I will make the buns anyway–they look lovely.

December 1st, 2005 23:17

Hi Barbara,

I can celebrate Lucia with you on distance :-)

7. ostwestwind
    December 2nd, 2005 10:03

Looks great, the saffron buns.

8. lori
    December 16th, 2005 11:24

I got here through Anne’s site. I’ve always wanted to know what St. Lucia buns look like. They’re as gorgeous and as soft-looking as I thought they’d be.

December 17th, 2005 20:08

Lori,
    Welcome! The buns tend to get quite dry, but I found a nice recipe with quark that keep them moist and soft.

10. Jim Mirkalami
    February 7th, 2008 06:33

I have been a frequent visitor of this blog for some time now, so I thought it would be a good idea to leave you with my thanks.

Regards,
    Jim Mirkalami

11. Vinessa
    November 28th, 2010 19:41

Du har en jättemysig blogg och jag tycker om att du delar med dig av den svenska julen på engelska:)
    Min e-post är inte äkta för jag vill inte ge den riktiga…
    KRAM!