SHF/IMBB Cookie-swap Party!

Pepparkakor
The Groke, Little My and Moominmamma as Swedish Gingerbread biscuits

This is my entry to Sugar High Friday’s and Is my blog burning’s joint virtual cookie swap. Jennifer and Alberto have asked all food bloggers to share their favourite cookie recipes, creating a big virtual cookie swap. I want to share two recipes, both tried this week but already loved. The first one is ordinary Pepparkakor (Swedish Gingerbread Biscuits) which I baked today and the second one is Sunflower Seed Cookies which I made a few days ago. It was my first time baking Pepparkakor from scratch, and it was so much easier than I thought. Yesterday I prepared the dough and today I baked the cookies. The recipe is simple and you get an immense amount of delicious cookies, perfect now when Christmas is approaching. The Sunflower Seed Cookies are just delicious and they are so easy to bake. The cookies are chewy with a light taste of caramel; delicious delicious! Bake them now, you won’t be dissapointed!

Pepparkakor
Pepparkakor

Pepparkakor

200 ml water
    200 ml golden syrop
    425 gr brown sugar
    250 gr butter
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tbsp ground cloves
    1,5 tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 tbsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground cardamom
    1 tsp ground Seville orange/bitter orange/pomerans (can be omitted if you don’t have it)
    1 kg wheat flour

Bring the water, syrup and sugar to boil. Pour the mixture over the butter and let everything dissolve. Add the remaining ingredients. At this point the dough is very sticky, but it’s supposed to be like that. Let the dough rest in the fridge overnight.

The next day you take as much dough as you need and roll it out on a floured surface. Cut out cookies and then bake in the oven at 175 degrees Celsius for about 8 minutes. Repeat, repeat and repeat as the dough will never end… :-) I made quite a lot cookies today, but I still have an enormous amount of dough left in the fridge so now you now what I will do tomorrow….

When the cookies are cool, you can decorate them with icing sugar and a small small amount of water and a smaller amount of lemon juice (to keep everything white and nice).

Sunflower Seed Cookies
Sunflower Seed Cookies

Sunflower Seed Cookies
    (adapted from Två Systrars Söta by Lisa Eisenman and Monica Eisenman)
    makes about 17 cookies

200 gram room temperatured butter
    250 ml caster sugar
    4 tbsp golden syrup
    250 ml wheat flour
    200 ml whole wheat flour (grahamsmjöl)
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp vanilla sugar
    150 ml Sunflower Seeds

Heat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Combine butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Add the syrup. Combine the dry ingredients and mix everything until you have a flexible dough.
    Divide the dough into 3 equal parts. On a floured surface, roll out every part of the dough to a length almost as long as your baking sheet. Transfer the 3 lengths to your baking sheet, leave space between them as they will expand. Sprinkle some extra sunflower seeds on the lengths and then flatten them slightly. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. When a bit cooled, cut the lengths into diagonal cookies. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

29 Responses to “SHF/IMBB Cookie-swap Party!”

1. Anne
    November 27th, 2005 08:14

Love the new design!! And especially with little Bowser up on the top.. awww. :) The cookies look great – the sunflower seed ones will definitely be tried. I hope I do get the book for christmas!! :)

2. betta
    November 27th, 2005 12:01

this place will shurely become more beautiful than the first one. good luck!

November 27th, 2005 23:55

Anne,

Thanks :-) Bowser is the best :-)

Betta,
    Thanks!

4. Alanna
    November 28th, 2005 00:59

Oh the Moomintroll cookie cutters are too cute! And I like the rectangular pepperkakor, I alwsys do them as cut-outs.

OH: and the new design is spectacular – congrats!

5. keiko
    November 28th, 2005 02:21

Dagmar, I love your ‘moomin family’ biscuits – they are too cute to eat!

6. Lena
    December 1st, 2005 10:39

Vilka underbart fina pepparkakor. Jag gillar särskillt Lilla My. Var har du lyckats hitta de formarna tro, finland?

7. piggy
    December 1st, 2005 11:36

The pepparkakor looks so adorable… love it! btw, love the new look of your blog too.

December 1st, 2005 23:21

Hi Alanna, Keiko and Piggy!
    Thank you so much. The pepparkakor are indeed cute, but we ate them anyway :-)

Lena,
    Tack :-) Formarna hittade jag i en liten affär i Göteborg som heter Okey och som bland annat säljer Hello Kitty, Mumin och Snobben-saker. De är gjorda i plast och säljs i 3-pack. Det fanns även ett annat set med Mumintrollet och Snusmumriken om jag inte missminner mig.

9. chronicler
    December 2nd, 2005 07:45

Okay these have to be the best cookies ever! What a great choice of characters! I love the simplicity of them and the wonder they would create in a child! Wonderful!

10. Nupur
    December 2nd, 2005 14:20

Soooo cute! I love the designs! Both types of cookies look delicious.

11. tanvi
    December 3rd, 2005 02:03

wonderful cookies! i love the hippo the best
    :-)

December 4th, 2005 17:28

Chronicler and Nupur,
    Thanks!

Tanvi,
    Thanks! But the Moominmamma isn’t a hippo though :-) The characters are from the Moomintroll books, written by a Finnish writer. You can read about them here:

13. Nick
    December 15th, 2005 16:37

I love, love, love the Moomin pepparkakor! Searching for a pepparkakor recipe, and even though I haven’t the same cookie cutters, I think I have to try this one. Thanks so much!

December 17th, 2005 20:07

Nick,
    Thanks :-) They are cute, I agree. Good luck with the baking!

15. freda
    December 19th, 2005 00:13

do you know where I could get these moomin cookie cutters (online)?

January 1st, 2006 20:18

Freda,
    I havn’t seen these cutters online. But if you want, then I could check if they still are for sale in the store where I found them. I could buy them for you and then send them by mail. Just let me know!

17. plume
    May 7th, 2006 16:04

Ho my, Moomintroll is one of the very favorite books in my family!
    Thanks for the Moomintroll site link!

The books are not availlable in french any more so I have to read them when I go back to my parents ;-)

18. 100%Gourmande
    September 20th, 2007 20:40

I love your cats !!!!

19. Stixiorg
    September 30th, 2009 07:38

Большенство почему-то считает, что материал полный. А я совсем другово мнения по этому вопросу. Давайте обсудим

20. Nada Bibles
    February 18th, 2010 01:54

Tolle Webseite – Habe ne kleine. Mein kleines Ego ist auch gegenwrtig dabei meinen eigenen kleinen Weblog zusammen zu bauen und ich finde dein Design toll. Wo kann man das Theme ziehen?

21. katlynn pareek
    February 25th, 2010 23:23

I love the day when all the small little animals and pebbles join together in one huge monstrous cacophany of melodic blissful stem ginger. Stem ginger is the new tomorrow. Check it out dude! Only $14.99. Get your fill today!

22. BelorusochkaDina